Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Some stuff arived!! Today we have M92 chips, Switch Lite Wifi IC's and a psp power switch...

Straight to the PSP power switch on the daughter board... Some flux, lets remove this bad boy!

Removed!

Tin up the pads and stick the new one on! Joints look good!

One Minty fresh PSP! (literally I use a mint glass cleaner!!) It's a beauty!

Final repair attempts on the Grey switch later! But this other one has cleaned up very nicely and is now back together bar the case screws!

I won't lie repairing switches is super satisfying as they clearly have their design issues.. A bit like apple the engineers love putting 15v right next to low voltage/data lines so when they go they properly go and take components out with them for fun.

I've decided the Grey one I might keep so its being put in a special shell (Atomic purple clear shell or white im undecided... white would match the rest of my collection but what would you guys like to see?) its also getting a new LCD and some other new components assuming I can fix it... If not I will have a load of switch components waiting for a switch!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've decided the Grey one I might keep so its being put in a special shell (Atomic purple clear shell or white im undecided... white would match the rest of my collection but what would you guys like to see?) its also getting a new LCD and some other new components assuming I can fix it... If not I will have a load of switch components waiting for a switch!
Atomic Purple sounds like a good shout. Not thought of rehousing my Switch Lite, I used to do a hell of a lot of the original DS and DS Lite.

Man of Honour
OP
Atomic Purple sounds like a good shout. Not thought of rehousing my Switch Lite, I used to do a hell of a lot of the original DS and DS Lite.

I'm thinking either atomic purple or a clear blue... Ill test the m92 this evening and if it works a shell kit will be on route.

This is great. Like a lot of other people in this thread I'm hoping to do something similar in the near future once I've built my shed.

Get involved sir, the more the merrier! :D

Associate
Search ebay for this: Game Gear Replacement Capacitors Repair Kit Sega All SMD Power Audio Screen - And get it from the seller rotrosix :) This is the cap kit to go for and works for both board types!

The screens I used, also from ebay and a seller called stem-gaming... SEGA Game Gear LCD Screen. HighLit Full Display, Adjustable Brightness. - Ive also worked out a bracket to 3d print that perfectly aligns the screen :D

Hey Vince, these still your recommendations? Does that screen require the bracket to look half decent?

Edit: can't find that screen seller.

Associate
annnnyyy way, ps one slim time today with wavey video, from what ive read up it could be some surface mount caps so may just be an easy fix! , gonna remove them now and test, ill take some pics along the way :)

Man of Honour
OP
Hey Vince, these still your recommendations? Does that screen require the bracket to look half decent?

Edit: can't find that screen seller.

For now i would say this replica mcwill is perfectly fine for the job and to be honest I have been impressed, you don't "need" a bracket for it to look half decent, neither of the ones I did had the bracket. the second one I did was perfect lined up etc as well. I will see if I can find you the seller on that screen and post a link!

That seller stopped selling them/has none left... here is an alix link for the same screen!

Alix Link

Cheap as well... I might order some in to re-sell! I am still available to do mods should anybody be a bit scared to rip a game gear or anything else apart themselves. Plus you have all seen my work in here so nowhere to hide :cry:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Little update:

Gameboy - sold £50
Dsi XL - sold £50
Mega Drive is currenly at auction and is at £15 plus postage with 2 days left, I paid £12.

So far so good! I played a load of SOR4 to test the turquoise switch lite so will be listing that today as its running perfectly - I did have the weirdest fault with that after running my full set of tests... One analogue was weird and only working up and down, If I moved the other analogue it would effect the the opposite one... Really odd, ended up stripping it down and from one of my daughter board donor boards I took the main ribbon connecter off and replaced it (24 pin one) and also replaced the connector that the joycon plugs into as well as replacing the ribbon cable from one of my donors that wasn't water damaged. That made things a lot better but still interference between the joycons... Finally I replaced the same connector on the main board and the problem went away so we had a bad ribbon cable connector on the main board and daughter board. This is exactly the sort of weird issues you expect with liquid damaged devices... It's now been thoroughly cleaned and treated and is ready for its new owner! It's in really nice condition with a perfect non-scratched screen as well. Very happy with it!

The grey one, oh the grey one... I think I am giving up on it as ive sunk enough time. This will be my second no fix and its killing me, I just cant figure out why it's playing up... apart from I think its a faulty fuel gague... problem is time, I give around 2 hours to play with each device and ive already sunk 3 into that lite at which point it's gone beyond reasonable. I may re-visit but right now its in my donor pile!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hahah nope , removed all wires and went to basic plug and play. Nothing. Awesome!

min good news fixed the ps1 , was way too easy tho will get pics up shortly . Was just the main video cap :) video is crystal clear now

Check out AV on the master system super clean image and sound!!!

Photo I took to show it working as its been listed today. Honestly this mod makes it a properly usable machine in 2022 rather than a brick.

Switch lite was also listed... told you I'm big on the clear down to make space for the rest of it.

Original xbox and ps2 waiting on parts still!!

Associate
Check out AV on the master system super clean image and sound!!!

Photo I took to show it working as its been listed today. Honestly this mod makes it a properly usable machine in 2022 rather than a brick.

Switch lite was also listed... told you I'm big on the clear down to make space for the rest of it.

Original xbox and ps2 waiting on parts still!!

looking sweet buddy, great job there. my RCA jacks arrived today to do the same to mine :)

Man of Honour
OP
looking sweet buddy, great job there. my RCA jacks arrived today to do the same to mine :)
If I was to do it again and improve further I would have taken another ground off of pin 24 and grounded the video with pin 24 and then twisted the audio with a separate ground (pin 1) to the RCA connectors so audio and video don't share a ground. Mind you not sure it can matter that much as mines working perfectly!

Associate
Morning, As i said repairing this ps1 slim was too easy, i prefer a challange!

If you have scrambled graphics but perfect sound , first thing to take a look at is the middle cap here :

ps1-cap-orig.jpg

that one normal dies and causes the fault!, little bit of hot air and flux....

ps1-cap-off.jpg

test the cap

ps1-cap-test.jpg

ESR is through the roof, should be around 1 - 1.5ohms. time to replace and test

ps1-cap-new.jpg

crystal-clear.jpg

as i said, repair was so easy it was boring hehe :) , perfect now, My nephew is happy with his refurbed ps1 :)

Associate
@Vince are you interested in a free Megadrive? It has been sitting in my garage for years. It seems to be a bit mouldy, no idea if it works. But you are welcome to have it, even if it is only worth a few parts to you. Better than the bin.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@Vince are you interested in a free Megadrive? It has been sitting in my garage for years. It seems to be a bit mouldy, no idea if it works. But you are welcome to have it, even if it is only worth a few parts to you. Better than the bin.

Yea sounds awesome :D You can send me a PM and I can pay you for delivery at least :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom