• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
As long as mining profits keep reducing (and crypto in general keeps or stays down), things will get back to normal.

There are only so many people willing to spend over £600 on a 3060TI to game on.

I'm hoping crypto will drop further because look at what happened last summer when it did....suddenly we had OCUK doing deals on 3060tis and it was actually possible to get things close to RRP again.

Keep hoping. It won’t happen.

THERE WILL be alternatives (not as profitable as ethereum such as Ergo, Firo etc- also can use Nice Hash which will flip to different coins and pay out in bitcoin), by June most will switch to alternate coins- their gpus would have been paid off so effectively free- people will carry on mining.

THERE WILL NOT be a deluge of gpus on the market I’m afraid. If anything Nvidia has learned that the market is willing to pay huge sums for gpus not only for mining but for other uses so the 40 series will also be released in dribs and drabs to keep supply tight and prices high.

Soldato
Before the pandemic: I picked up a used GTX 1080 for £170 into a sling-it-together-with-spares build. Now they're who knows how much on the used marketplaces.

On the heels of the 3080 release (thinking the upgrade from a 2080 Ti to a 3080 would be easy to swallow for £100), I sold my 2080 Ti for £550 (yep, five hundred and fifty pounds), but refused to checkout with a 3080 when OcUK increased the price by £80 during basket to checkout (went from £650 to £730). I vividly recall scoffing at the increase and closing the browser. I certainly regret not committing to the purchase but, alas, how was I to know demand would become so astronomically high.

Heh I sold a 1080 for £280 to CEX a couple weeks ago and they were fetching more than that previous, thats what I got for my 2080ti as well. Havn't gotten a sniff of a 3080 at anything close to RRP I'd have snapped that up.

Caporegime

THERE WILL be alternatives (not as profitable as ethereum such as Ergo, Firo etc- also can use Nice Hash which will flip to different coins and pay out in bitcoin), by June most will switch to alternate coins- their gpus would have been paid off so effectively free- people will carry on mining.

THERE WILL NOT be a deluge of gpus on the market I’m afraid. If anything Nvidia has learned that the market is willing to pay huge sums for gpus not only for mining but for other uses so the 40 series will also be released in dribs and drabs to keep supply tight and prices high.

Well it really depends on crypto prices doesn't it. If it starts going into a downturn/stagnant period, profitibilty will drop and it won't be worth it for most.

Look at last Summer when crypto bombed. All of a sudden you could get gpus at msrp again.

I gave no doubt things will get back to normal eventually. I think its more foolish to think this current situation is sustainable/what it will be like for ever.

Every bubble bursts....

Soldato
Well it really depends on crypto prices doesn't it. If it starts going into a downturn/stagnant period, profitibilty will drop and it won't be worth it for most.

Look at last Summer when crypto bombed. All of a sudden you could get gpus at msrp again.

I gave no doubt things will get back to normal eventually. I think its more foolish to think this current situation is sustainable/what it will be like for ever.

Every bubble bursts....

Were in a bear market right now, have been for weeks. Dont see a flood of gpu`s do you?

Soldato

Look at the current hashing power on the eth network. That much hash power will cause the difficulty rate on the next 5 coins combined to explode.

There's not enough "profitability" in other coins to feed that much hash power. Something could change. The next "it" coin may pop up and carry on, but right now, with what we have, it just doesn't add up to profitability.

I expect some period of attrition where miners try to wait each other out and eventually the hash power comes down to a level that the remaining minable coins can support.

Soldato
Look at the current hashing power on the eth network. That much hash power will cause the difficulty rate on the next 5 coins combined to explode.

There's not enough "profitability" in other coins to feed that much hash power. Something could change. The next "it" coin may pop up and carry on, but right now, with what we have, it just doesn't add up to profitability.

I expect some period of attrition where miners try to wait each other out and eventually the hash power comes down to a level that the remaining minable coins can support.

Most of that is asics.

Permabanned
Just been reading AVForums , 2x3080 and 2x3090 FE cards advertised for sale, 100% markup - and the seller happily says they are all from the last drop. Yup, working well there then

Indeed, I sold a 3060ti FE recently for more than 100% mark up. Buyers are fully aware where they come from but when you can only buy one they don't care. Even at double MSRP they are making a return on the card so it doesn't bother them.

Permabanned
Well there must be a work around some people know of. (I don't myself for many multiples).

I have a family member though who would likely let me use there card and address details though if I anticipated another drop happening soon. I'll either get another 3060fi as for some reason people pay a higher markup on these compared to 3070/3070ti and they don't seem as in as much demand as the 3080.

I would try a 3080 as could potentially make more profit but think there's more chance of those selling sooner.

Soldato
The point is the seller had 4 from the last drop....

New card numbers are really easy to generate. New IPs are easy.

As long as you have multiple physical addresses you can use, you've basically got around the system. You might even be able to use a random address and get it delivered to a DPD pick up point.

Associate
Yes I have given up I bought a Asus 1660ti in december 2019 for £249.00. The same card today is listed for £439. Unfortuntely people are buying it so my protest will not be heard. I wont buy a 3080 just now I would rather stop gaming than pay nearly double price.

Back
Top Bottom