• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Anyone else just given up trying to look for a new GPU and resigned themselves to waiting for a while? I'm fed up just endlessly checking stores online and just given up trying. Going to spend my time more constructively online. I'll wait until Easter and try again.

Soldato
OP
Good man, for too many people the game in gaming has become chasing fidelity, FPS and benchmarks. Most of the chat on CP77 was about peformance not the game itself, which spoke volumes. Ultra settings are just a way to get you spend more money by tanking performance for no noticable graphical improvement, while making you think you're missing out on something when you dial them down a bit.
100% nail on the head

Soldato
OP
I've disabled all my alerts now....going to just wait. 4 months since launch and still not a sniff of a 3080. May as well wait for the Ti.

Yep, good call. The alerts just make you jumpy and agitated. Time to let it die down for a while and relax. The world is stressful enough without alerts making you even more jumpy. Get cracking on the old steam retro games you've got as freebies, but never played, or even installed :D

Soldato
OP
Debating selling my 5600XT card. I just dont have time to game any more. I doubt i'd find a lesser card though to let me use the PC (no IGP with 3600 CPU) so I'm stuck keeping it. No bad thing I guess, if I ever want to game in future I've got somethign that'll do me at 1080p just fine.

Soldato
OP
I got into RC cars.

Get out in the sun, spend time out with the kids.

Its geeky but not anymore than gaming, Mrs prefers it because I get the kids out of the house.

I'm starting less and less to give a **** about the GPU situation and gaming in general now.

When I hit 40, my gaming urge went of a cliff. Now I'm in my mid late 40's I rarely game. This years GPU guff has just re-enforced the fact that gaming has lost all appeal to me now. Might look into RC cars as i used to do that 30 years ago. Might be cheaper and more fun with my twin boys too. good call squire.

Soldato
OP
Damn. $800 for "detailed grass". Kind of harsh in that light.

THIS THIS THIS....and THIS

In the cold light of day, if you had 800 in a wad of cash notes in your hand and you thought, I'm now swapping this for virtual textured grass improvement, you'd think WHAT am I doing?

That's the disconnect that companies want when it comes to electronic payment...a click of a button, compared to handing over a visual, physical real amount of hard cash, compared to an electronic number on screen that you have no connection with.

Soldato
OP
Still can't find a decent priced GPU so I'm going to visit Steam library and pick one of the 70 games I've got, but never played lol. Tell me I'm not the only one with a huge Steam library and never played most of the game in it?

Time to revisit 2016 gaming for a few months

Soldato
OP
I've even given up looking at 'Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?' posts.
50743284567_066c0db645_o_d.gif
:cry:

Soldato
OP
I've fired up Steam and started to play the massive backlog of games I have and never installed.

Currently playing Doom 2016 version. Can't say I'm in a hurry now to get a new card as these older games will tide me over well for a year or so.

Soldato
OP
£1200 for a GPU next year is too much, after everthing we have been through! I would not upgrade but would get a console and play exclusives.

I got the 5600XT for a friend but ended up buyin git off him to replace my Vega. I'm going through my Steam older games now and have no desire to pay inflated prices for a card to play inflated priced games, that aren't great but mostly just eye candy dependent for the wow factor.....a guff game basically.

Lots of older games are so so good on mid range cards. I have Half Life 2 installed again and about to start it this weekend. Can't wait as I remember it was so good firs time around and I only played it through once...it'll be "new" to me again. Max settings on it are a given for 150+ FPS too.

Soldato
OP
Ha, waiting until Easter. (This post did bot age well)

I for the most part have given up. I just check stores once every couple of weeks or so to get idea of prices. Theyve come down a lot these past few weeks, but still not enough for me to want to get one.

Question: The only RTX 3070 available on OCUK is the Gigabyte Gaming OC for over £900. Is there a voucher for this?

True, stuck with the 5600XT but it#s a cracking card for 1080p

Soldato
OP
£400 for a 6600 (nonXT) mech card. Guess I'll be keeping on "given up" thinking.

AMD and NVIDIA are shooting themselves in the foot with these prices. They are killing the market. People losing interest in new GPU's, is also where I'm at now too. I watch the youtube HUB, etc launch reiews for nothing more than something to do. No interest in the cards. It'll not be long before the PC market dies off due to component prices.

Soldato
OP
The problem is....they're not. If they're reporting record sales and profits, they are absolutely succeeding, its just not necessarily gamers lining their pockets. They can always ride this out, and if crypto starts to fail (on the assumption that crypto is the only factor, which I'm not sure I believe) they can return to lower prices then, it's not like they were unprofitable before. It's not as if there are other manufacturers coming in (Depending on what intel do, but I can't see them being a well-priced budget product), and even if the gaming market has shrunk considerably, alternative markets have increased to compensate.

It's harder to bring someone "back into the fold" that has lost interest. You just have to look at, say the HWUB review of the 6600 comments section on YT. There are dozens of "I don't care about this any more, just wanted to support the channel by watching" type comments. Younger people will see PC component prices and just laugh, then go back to their console, never to build a gaming PC again.

Companies may be making record profits but as like all capitalism, it's now all about the short term gains and F the future, tha'ts someone else problem then. We'd do well to take note of Japan and their look at the long game. Nurturing businesses for long term success, as opposed to the vamperic capitalism that's prevelant nowadays. Take as much as you can now and F the future.

Soldato
OP
I bought a 3060ti FE, sold it to a miner, then used the money from that to buy a not so badly scalped (But still too expensive) 3070ti FE with them being LHR.

£380 for the 3060ti, sold it for £850 after fees/postage, bought the 3070ti FE for £740, so all in all, a net spend of £270 for a 3070ti.

I only game and have no interest in mining so this was the best way for me to get a decent gpu at a good price.

Good going, well played for managing that :)

Soldato
OP
The thing is AMD didn't need to price MSRP so high, they could have priced it at $250 and it still would have ended up at $400 in the current market but what AMD are doing here is setting a future precedent to keep prices high even when the shortages and crypto die down and the market returns to normality.

I agree. Set prices high now and they will "stay" high after the next crypto reset

Back
Top Bottom