Train burglaries in the US, do we have anything at this scale in the UK?

Caporegime
Always the same with lefties. Whinge and whine and poor me and poor them and the world is such a nasty place can't we all just be friends and love each other and blablabla.

Then as soon as questions are asked, they run away like the little soggy flannels they are.

If you're going to try and shove your ideals down someone else's throat, at least answer their questions and attempt to understand their side of the discussion. You expect everyone to accept your viewpoints but refuse to acknowledge theirs?

Welcome to leftism.

Soldato
Crazy disgusting comment - next time you appear you're up to no good, I'll hope someone doesn't murder you huh ?

Your sig says it all anyway to understand you're a tad rightwing.

But they were his life choices to go out and break the law and then resist arrest. I didn't tell him to do it and neither did the police. If you play with fire eg choose to be a criminal then kick off whilst being arrested, he put himself into a position he could have avoided.

Soldato
But they were his life choices to go out and break the law and then resist arrest. I didn't tell him to do it and neither did the police. If you play with fire eg choose to be a criminal then kick off whilst being arrested, he put himself into a position he could have avoided.

People defending the cop that's been locked up already and already found guilty.

This forums a crazy place.

Iv often said this forum is a slice of society that's mainly middle class men, and there is an astonishing amount of right wing crazy folks on here, am abit astonished really.

Soldato
People defending the cop that's been locked up already and already found guilty.

Iv often said this forum is a slice of society that's mainly middle class men, and there is an astonishing amount of right wing crazy folks on here, am abit astonished really.

I suppose if he hadn't been restrained so hard and managed to reach for and use a concealed weapon to kill the policeman you'd be alright with that?

Soldato
I suppose if he hadn't been restrained so hard and managed to reach for and use a concealed weapon to kill the policeman you'd be alright with that?

Now your just trolling. And if you honestly still defend an already found guilty man....you are part of the problem. Grow a brain and learn, educate yourself why racism and keeping the poor poor is all that's wrong in this world.

Caporegime
Now your just trolling. And if you honestly still defend an already found guilty man....you are part of the problem. Grow a brain and learn, educate yourself why racism and keeping the poor poor is all that's wrong in this world.

Lol.

As someone who never finished school, lived in poverty and was literally "token" in my school, I now earn a good living, have a great life and am only becoming more and more successful, and you know how I achieved this? I'll give you a hint: it has nothing to do with racism.

But ya, keep blaming "racists", "gammons" and whatever else suits your ridiculous narrative whilst refusing to engage in intelligent discussion.

As you seem to have the mental capacity of a cactus, have you considered tweeting? You'd fit right in ;)

Soldato

It's a different society out there in the US. They've made a problem for themselves with weapons being freely available. That makes it exponentially harder to police in a moderate manner because an officer is never going to know whether a suspect is going to attempt lethal force on them. I didn't defend the policeman in question but it has to be said that GF made the choice to put himself in the situation that he became arrested. As for being poor he chose that too, others work hard to earn an honest income and cut their cloth accordingly. You're suggesting society is forcing them to become drug dealers yet they don't all choose that so that's rather disrespectful to those working hard and law abiding.

Soldato
It's California, that state is ******. In San Francisco they've recently 'legalised' shoplifting of anything up to a value of $950 by making it a misdemeanour rather than a felony. Crimes of that nature sky-rocketed and the police can't be arsed to investigate, so the usual suspects are out in force and helping themselves to anything and everything with little to no recourse.

Like UK police are interested in shoplifting. They are hardly interested in burglary or similar crimes. A mate had 3 motorbikes stolen from his garage and they never bothered to turn up let alone investigate it.

Caporegime
OP
I think the low rates of prosecutions are a factor here but perhaps also the shipping crisis - if they park trains there then that's no doubt attractive... I wonder if some of those people living in the campervans seen in some of the footage have anything to do with it too.

Also in the UK we have British transport police to cover railways - in the US they have lots of private railway police forces funded by the railway companies themselves, I wonder what their funding is like? ("Defunding" the police to the bare min level is no doubt something that might be tempting for companies having to fund their own private police forces)

George Floyd had a MINOR disagreement about an apparently unknown 20 dollar bill.
OBVIOUSLY not worth killing someone over even if it was a fraudulent note, the cop had no right to detain him like that.........[...]

You are nuts if you agree with ANY part of the police involvement here.

Nah, you can both hold the view that Chauvin's behaviour was out of line and also that Floyd needed to be arrested. Police in just about any country would have arrested someone when they've arrived at the scene of an incident and found the suspect high AF behind the wheel of a car. Plus it doens't appear to be an accident, the kid from the store went out twice to tell Floyd about the forged note and was bascialy told to do one... then called the police.

Soldato
It's a valid question when you cherry pick stats to come to racist conclusions.

You really don't even need to cherry pick stats, African-Americans just commit far more crime in America than any other race per capita, it's not even close. Sadly the victims of most of the crime are other black people, so it's not a case of being prejudice because they're negatively affecting white people or something, the biggest risk black people have in America is being shot or killed by other black people. It isn't Police or being a victim of racism, it's being killed by someone in your own neighbourhood.

Give that a watch if you haven't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09c4ppc/louis-theroux-dark-states-3-murder-in-milwaukee

Man of Honour
You really don't even need to cherry pick stats, African-Americans just commit far more crime in America than any other race per capita, it's not even close. Sadly the victims of most of the crime are other black people, so it's not a case of being prejudice because they're negatively affecting white people or something, the biggest risk black people have in America is being shot or killed by other black people. It isn't Police or being a victim of racism, it's being killed by someone in your own neighbourhood.

Give that a watch if you haven't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09c4ppc/louis-theroux-dark-states-3-murder-in-milwaukee

I'll watch it but i highly doubt I'll learn anything new. I'm not denying black people in the US might commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes, that's a symptom of a greater disease. Saying that alone is due to an inferior culture linked to their race is what I'll disagree with every time.

Edit: Out of interest, what did you take away from that programme?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You're all mad. Do you guys even remember why BLM started? A white cop put his knee on an innocent black guys neck and killed him.
At least I'm not ignorant to that and understand my privilege.....and will continue to call out those that are ignorant so all humans have that same right and equality.
Yes, a Minneapolis cop, Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd’s neck and Floyd subsequently died, no argument, you got that right, it should never have happened.
However, George wasn’t innocent, he still shouldn’t have had a cop kneel on his neck, but he’d been accused of buying a pack of cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill.
He refused to return the cigarettes and the police were called, the police said that he “stiffened up”, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic.
So a) it was an overreaction to kneel on his neck, and in doing so kill him, but
b) he wasn’t an innocent person.

Man of Honour

Perhaps you should try another forum then, this one’s not doing your blood pressure much good, seriously you should take a chill pill and have a lie down in a darkened room.
I’m not much of a right winger, more a tad right of centre, but your hysterical advancement of the left wing cause is making my ribs ache as I roll on the floor with laughter.
I have no wish to disparage your beliefs, but you’re beginning to sound like the nutter on the bus.

Associate
I think the low rates of prosecutions are a factor here but perhaps also the shipping crisis - if they park trains there then that's no doubt attractive... I wonder if some of those people living in the campervans seen in some of the footage have anything to do with it too.

Also in the UK we have British transport police to cover railways - in the US they have lots of private railway police forces funded by the railway companies themselves, I wonder what their funding is like? ("Defunding" the police to the bare min level is no doubt something that might be tempting for companies having to fund their own private police forces)

If this started in the UK the transport police wouldn't be able to do anything, they aren't on the tracks, they get called to a station if there's a fracas on the train. Anything happening between stations and they aren't doing anything.

The trains aren't parked, they are just very slow moving so people are just jumping on. Physical security is pretty impossible, only thing they can do is seal the containers better than they have been.

Commissario
You're talking absolute nonsense and making yourself look rather silly.

You don't need to effectively strangle someone to stop them "pulling a weapon", there are things called handcuffs (you may have heard of them, even though they've only been around for a few hundred years) or even your own hands and those of the other two of three officers who were there, and how the hell does kneeling on someones neck stop them from using their hands?

If this started in the UK the transport police wouldn't be able to do anything, they aren't on the tracks, they get called to a station if there's a fracas on the train. Anything happening between stations and they aren't doing anything.

The trains aren't parked, they are just very slow moving so people are just jumping on. Physical security is pretty impossible, only thing they can do is seal the containers better than they have been.
One of the things that shocked me when I saw a bit about it on the news the other day was that apparently a lot of the containers are secured using nothing more than cable ties.
The Amazon lockers by the checkouts at several of my local stores have better security than that, on every single locker from the 30cm by 10cm ones up, and they're inside a secure building, next to the checkout operators.
Why the hell are shipping containers being sent overland with little or no external security getting away with being sealed with something you can break with a pair of scissors.
I can understand the reasoning when on a ship at sea where Customs are going to want to check it at the port of entry, but whilst on trains, it's just nuts.
A £100 suitcase often has better security than the containers.

I mean I can sort of understand that there are issues with proper locks and containers that might be moving between loads of locations, but in this day and age the technology is there to make an electronic lock (or even just put a barcode on a good combination lock so the staff member booking it in scans it and gets a code pulled from an app) that you point a terminal at during after delivery and it either unlocks it, or gives you the code to do so. Amazon lockers already do this, so it wouldn't need much more than commissioning a half decent lock and with an electronic locking mechanism, you could even save money per lock by have it powered by the terminal (or portable battery) if you wanted to cut the cost of producing the locks (as you'd need to allow for either recharging or replacing batteries anyway).
You'd still have to arrange for the locks to be where needed, but that's a lot easier than moving the locks and the keys together and more secure than using a handful of default keys (and for companies like amazon, shifting a bunch of locks between distribution points to maintain enough spares should be simple).

The daft thing is, that you don't even have to make the containers much more secure, just enough that you can't get on, and gain entry to them with just a pair of wire snips (or boxcutter) in a few seconds, do that and increase the security a bit around the train yards when these trains are due in and you'll probably see most of the criminals give up fairly fast as it goes from being a potentially high reward very low risk crime, to being a higher risk and lower reward one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Train robberies were a thing during the wild wild west, containers didn't need that level of security because they were not something targeted by thief's. Now that they are money will be invested in better security for them but who's going to pay the price in the long run, the consumer of course as prices will inevitably rise as a result.

Considering the cost of a container has already increased 10 fold in the past couple years, this will only solidify that increase as manufacturers offset the added cost of security and insurance.

Back
Top Bottom