• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
Yeah, and all the mainstream reviewers did their best to put down a GPU that came in at £179, is that put down going to anywhere near as trying for the RTX 3050 when it comes in at £250 or even £300? No. And they will pat themselves on the back for services to combating the problem.

Hypocrites.

But the issue is that it isn't going to stay at £179 and is well over £200 already. If it stayed at £179~£199 it would be OK,but you know it won't.As time progresses we could be seeing £250 or even more.

People have to understand on here,just because many spend £500~£1000 on a dGPU,£250 is hardly a small amount for the type of gamers we are talking about,especially when they are most likely to have older systems where this won't perform as well,because they can't afford to upgrade the system. I don't even understand WTF AMD did making this a PCI-E 4X dGPU - the Zen2 and Zen3 APUs lack PCI-E 4.0! So adding insult to injury AMD not making a wider PCI-E link means,the target market with older systems is essentially getting an RX570 4GB for probably over £200. That sort of money for under RX590 performance in 2022,when most people,especially those on a budget,keep dGPUs for years means it already has no legs.

Even if the RTX3050 is "better" its going to be a GTX1660/GTX1660 Super for similar or more money?? We know the £239 RRP is likely to last for 5 seconds,and with no FE,its probably going to be over £300 within a short time. Even then in 2022,how is GTX1660/GTX1660 Super peformance any good......again Turing stagnated mainstream performance.

So for Turing to happen,followed by this.....no wonder so many mainstream gamers stayed with Polaris/Pascal. As even the Lowspecgamer said,£100 extra over what these kinds of cards used to cost,is like £200 or more in a poorer country(or maybe more).

Associate
This need to be said, i'm not defending AMD / Nvidia but the blame for it needs to be directed to the right place, if you scream at AMD like Steve Walton does they are just going to shrug their shoulders and say there is nothing we can do about it, because they can't, and nothing changes.

These vendors are not going to point their finger at AIB's, politically its not the thing to do.

Agreed, on the AIB's side there was limited supply, they saw the scalpers making x5 the profit and the cards getting to the same end point, at the time it made sense.. like COVID restrictions.

Time for it to end.

Caporegime
But the issue is that it isn't going to stay at £179 and is well over £200 already. If it stayed at £179~£199 it would be OK,but you know it won't.As time progresses we could be seeing £250 or even more.

People have to understand on here,just because many spend £500~£1000 on a dGPU,£250 is hardly a small amount for the type of gamers we are talking about,especially when they are most likely to have older systems where this won't perform as well,because they can't afford to upgrade the system. I don't even understand WTF AMD did making this a PCI-E 4X dGPU - the Zen2 and Zen3 APUs lack PCI-E 4.0! So adding insult to injury AMD not making a wider PCI-E link means,the target market with older systems is essentially getting an RX570 4GB for probably over £200. That sort of money for under RX590 performance in 2022,when most people,especially those on a budget,keep dGPUs for years means it already has no legs.

Even if the RTX3050 is "better" its going to be a GTX1660/GTX1660 Super for similar or more money?? We know the £239 RRP is likely to last for 5 seconds,and with no FE,its probably going to be over £300 within a short time. Even then in 2022,how is GTX1660/GTX1660 Super peformance any good......again Turing stagnated mainstream performance.

So for Turing to happen,followed by this.....no wonder so many mainstream gamers stayed with Polaris/Pascal. As even the Lowspecgamer said,£100 extra over what these kinds of cards used to cost,is like £200 or more in a poorer country(or maybe more).

Is that AMD's fault?

Soldato
Is that AMD's fault?

I am sorry but both of them are a cartel now. Ever since the Hawaii/Maxwell/Polaris/Pascal days,BOTH of them have decided to not push each other. They have priced between each other,to avoid any degree of price competition. Turing jacked up RRPs,and the leaks indicated the RX690 was rebranded as a RX5700XT and price pushed up as it performed better than expected.

BOTH could release large numbers of no frills reference only cards directly sold from their websites at RRP,but outside a few drops here and there in certain markets to maintain the illusion of a real RRP,it doesn't exist. FE drops only happened in some markets(UK being one),and AMD reference drops were mostly in the US with some happening in the EU. Elsewhere in the world,tough luck.

In the end they are both to blame and people need to see that not doing this is to their advantage.

It's happened before:
https://www.theregister.com/2008/09/30/nvidia_settles_lawsuit/
https://www.theregister.com/2008/09/03/email_exchange_nvidia_ati_price_fixing_cartel/

They are not the only tech companies to this - its rife in the tech industry over the last 30 years. RAM,monitors,etc. Consumers complaining to the relevant authorities only lead to actions which included the discovery of these practices and in a number of cases punitive measures.

The only way to combat it is to stop buying at these inflated prices. If people keep buying,it will keep going up until a crash happens.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am sorry but both of them are a cartel now. Ever since the Hawaii/Maxwell/Polaris/Pascal days,BOTH of them have decided to not push each other. They have priced between each other,to avoid any degree of price competition.

BOTH could release large numbers of no frills reference only cards directly sold from their websites at RRP,but outside a few drops here and there in certain markets to maintain the illusion of a real RRP,it doesn't exist. FE drops only happened in some markets(UK being one),and AMD reference drops were mostly in the US with some happening in the EU. Elsewhere in the world,tough luck.

In the end they are both to blame and people need to see,that them price fixing helps each other.

It's happened before:
https://www.theregister.com/2008/09/30/nvidia_settles_lawsuit/
https://www.theregister.com/2008/09/03/email_exchange_nvidia_ati_price_fixing_cartel/

Cut out the AIB's? AMD don't have the market share for that.

Soldato
Not sure why folk on here are getting their knickers in a twist about this card. It’s clearly not aimed at the majority of folk in this forum.

It’s about getting cards into the hands of the kind of people that want to run a PC for playing something such as Fortnite on as cheap as they can.

It’s for the parents of kids who want to play on a PC but they can’t get a hold of a GPU because they’re all scalped.

This isn’t a card I personally would ever buy or consider but I get why they’ve released it.

Soldato
Cut out the AIB's? AMD don't have the market share for that.

It's not AMD its also Nvidia too.

The same AIB partners make all the dGPUs for Dell,etc.

They seem to be fine. The reality is I know so many PC gamers(me included) who are not going to entertain this blatant price fixing in the market. I have seen more of my formerly PC exclusive mates just get a console.

AMD/Nvidia need to stop excuse making and sort it out with their partners. If they simply think that the RX7500XT and RTX4050 can be £300 to £400(because miners) with crap performance,then I know what a lot of my PC gaming friends will do(me included). Stick with our desktops now,and if it does not improve in a year or two after that,the desktops will be run into the ground. For our non-gaming purposes laptops are good enough now,and we will get a console and be done with it,or spend it on our other hobbies. So our spend on PCs will reduce.

Back
Top Bottom