Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Looking into buying a replacement steam cleaner for the engine bay and difficult to reach corners. I used to have one, even for a cheap steam cleaner it was very effective, but then it broke.

Soldato
Has anyone ever thought to themselves that ceramic coating might be a bit like snake oil?

I had a Porsche Macan and had it professionally ceramic coated with Max Protect UNC-R and it didn’t seem to make much difference. I couldn’t jet wash the dirt off and the paint didn’t really look any different afterwards.

Was the Max Protect product not great, or is a decent layer of wax able to achieve the same result albeit at the cost of applying it much more frequently? I’m due to receive my new car soon and wondering what to do with it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has anyone ever thought to themselves that ceramic coating might be a bit like snake oil?

I had a Porsche Macan and had it professionally ceramic coated with Max Protect UNC-R and it didn’t seem to make much difference. I couldn’t jet wash the dirt off and the paint didn’t really look any different afterwards. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’ll take a good wax any day.

Was the protect not great, or is a decent layer of wax achieve the same result albeit at the cost of applying it much more frequently? I’m due to receive my new car soon and wondering what to do with it.

So far the best coating I’ve come across is AGs UHD wax. It’s ridiculously hydrophobic and only took me about 15 minutes to apply and remove. I’m with you, even the professionally applied ceramic coatings don’t seem to be any better.

Soldato
So far the best coating I’ve come across is AGs UHD wax. It’s ridiculously hydrophobic and only took me about 15 minutes to apply and remove. I’m with you, even the professionally applied ceramic coatings don’t seem to be any better.

Thanks. Do the hydrophobic properties help to prevent all of the crap that’s currently on the road from sticking to the car? I know it’ll never be 100%, but I care far more about making it easier to clean than beading for the sake of beading :)

Permabanned

I had a Porsche Macan and had it professionally ceramic coated with Max Protect UNC-R and it didn’t seem to make much difference. I couldn’t jet wash the dirt off and the paint didn’t really look any different afterwards.

Was the protect not great, or is a decent layer of wax achieve the same result albeit at the cost of applying it much more frequently? I’m due to receive my new car soon and wondering what to do with it.

I did ceramic coating myself and it seems quite good, its lasting much longer than wax, its shiny when clean(though its a new car so kind of is anyway) and still beading water. Its easy enough to wash but not sure it makes it "easier" to wash than without ceramic.

Its no magic coating that will repel dirt just yet, with the current weather there isn't much choice other than regular cleaning if you want it shiny all the time.

Soldato

Was the Max Protect product not great, or is a decent layer of wax able to achieve the same result albeit at the cost of applying it much more frequently? I’m due to receive my new car soon and wondering what to do with it.
sounds like you had it protected with dealer optional "ceramic" coat.

any real detailer with tell you that they're rubbish and not comparable to high end coatings.

reason you coat your car is to create a layer between the paintwork and the outside, that layer can deal with road grime, salt, bird droppings etc without getting to your clear coat. It does make washing the car easier when used with correct prewash etc.

Soldato
sounds like you had it protected with dealer optional "ceramic" coat.

any real detailer with tell you that they're rubbish and not comparable to high end coatings.

Nope, I had it detailed post-purchase by a professional who had obtained some sort of accreditation from Max Protect and the Professional Valeters & Detailers Association.

Think I'll leave the ceramic coat this time. Just had a quote of £1100 to do a paint correction and apply GTechniq Crystal Serum and EXO from another detailer. I am really battling to see the value it provides.

Man of Honour
Thanks. Do the hydrophobic properties help to prevent all of the crap that’s currently on the road from sticking to the car? I know it’ll never be 100%, but I care far more about making it easier to clean than beading for the sake of beading :)

It’s never come off more easily. The grime just lifts off. It’s really impressive. The wash mitt just glides over the paint. I love my car, but I see no value of any other product other than going down a PPF route.

Caporegime
In giving the interior of my Focus a clean to get rid of the greasy dealershine™ I found a scuff on the dash above the glovebox, whatever they put on the interior was 'feeding' it and hiding it which is fine, I just need to find a product to help hide it. It's the usual rubber 'soft touch' material on dashboards, so far I've tried Poorboys natural look but that doesn't help. Any ideas?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
anyone got one of these AMZ Snow Foam lances?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TWFS61H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyone know what spanner i need to take it apart to clean / change orifice ?

15mm is too small, 16mm is too big so it must be an imperial size, but what size ?

any ideas please ?

thanks
Not got one but I'd have thought the most likely size is 5/8 inch which is 15.88mm. I would have expected 16mm to work ok on it though as it's very close. Could try an adjustable wrench if you have one, though these can be hard to get apart if they've used a thread sealant rather than PTFE tape.

Soldato
What do you guys recommend for engine bay dressing? Not looking for hugely professional results, just something I can maintain it with and keep it looking nice, clean and shiny. Is the Meguiars Step 2 Engine Dressing decent enough? Can be picked up in Halfrauds.

Ta.

Man of Honour
What do you guys recommend for engine bay dressing? Not looking for hugely professional results, just something I can maintain it with and keep it looking nice, clean and shiny. Is the Meguiars Step 2 Engine Dressing decent enough? Can be picked up in Halfrauds.

Ta.

AG vinyl and rubber care. Super easy. Spray on, wipe off. That’s all I do.

Still looking for a suitable steamer that’ll get into the tricky corners of the engine bay and elsewhere.

Associate
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pressure washer? My Karcher k4 has just broken and since my last few have all had something go wrong I’ll avoid them this time round. Unfortunately all the attachments I currently have will also probably need replacing (snow foam gun etc).

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pressure washer? My Karcher k4 has just broken and since my last few have all had something go wrong I’ll avoid them this time round. Unfortunately all the attachments I currently have will also probably need replacing (snow foam gun etc).

Thanks!

Nilfisk. My C110 is still going strong (5-6 years old, has done our drive and paths multiple times and is used almost weekly for the car). My neighbours Karcher broke years ago and wasn’t anywhere near as good.

Car cleaning day tomorrow. Should be a simple one:
Polar blast (while it soaks I agitate it on the wheels which saves a job)
Polar wash
Probably aqua wax this week as I dry it.
Then door, boot and door open and wipe down with a micro fibre and possibly a small application of rapid detailer.

I’m trying to decide between these two:
Polti PTGB0065 Vaporetto Handy 25 Plus Steam Cleaner, 3.5 Bar, kills and eliminates 99.99% * of viruses, germs and bacteria, White/Green https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CE59...t_i_JP51QCK4D5BHHGQ9Z0CQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And

Kärcher SC3 EasyFix Steam Cleaner https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077CBL...t_i_XVDAT2YTJ54Z0S3AKF1G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For the price the karcher offers little more and seems to break pretty frequently based on reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there any suggested snow foam lances? Or can I just change the adaptor on the autobrite magifoam one I already have from Karcher to Nilfisk?

If you’re looking to get a new one the MJJC Foam Cannon Pro V2.0 is supposed to be one of the best, I have one and it’s good but you might be able to change the adapter on your current one saving a bit of money.

Man of Honour
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom