Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
That comes over as a little ignorant; which is akin to your name being 'David', but I insist on calling you 'Dean' saying that nobody should tell me what to call you as 'no offence was meant'.

By your token you can also continue to call; Zimbabwe as Rhodesia, Sri Lanka as Ceylon, Myanmar as Burma, Thailand as Siam etc. If the Ukrainians want people to call 'Kiev', 'Kyiv' then that's the least I can do, especially as they are being currently invaded by the country that insists on it being called 'Kiev'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KyivNotKiev#:~:text=Previously, most airports refused to,Geographic Names, switched to Kyiv.

To be honest, I had just assumed that Kiev wss the English version of Kyiv. A bit like Munich being the English version of Munchen etc, I call it Munich not Munchen , likewise I call it Spain not Espana and Rome rather than Roma.

Caporegime
Football has nothing to do with this.

Not directly, but will be hit severely indirectly.

All Russian oligarchs having their uk assets frozen, and the government looking into all russian shell companies owning property in UK, will affect a lot if football funding.

The likes of Ambramovich having assets frozen, will leave a large hole in Chelseas bank balance i would imagine.

Soldato
To be honest, I had just assumed that Kiev wss the English version of Kyiv. A bit like Munich being the English version of Munchen etc, I call it Munich not Munchen , likewise I call it Spain not Espana and Rome rather than Roma.

Does it really matter how a foreigner spells foreign names? Its the same, and it was done in good will, i didnt mean to offend anyone by typing KIEV, thats the official spell of the citys name in English. Should we spell london as LONDINIUM ?

Soldato
Actually I thought exactly the same as you, that is until a Ukrainian friend put me right! :)

Soldato
Does it really matter how a foreigner spells foreign names? Its the same, and it was done in good will, i didnt mean to offend anyone by typing KIEV, thats the official spell of the citys name in English. Should we spell london as LONDINIUM ?
Kiev is the English translation from russian, Kyiv is the English translation from Ukrainian

Soldato
Don't worry guys OcUK mods are OK with a guy being very happy at the war happening in Ukraine,because he said he loves inflation because Russia will punish us and he will become rich.

****** NEWS FLASH ************* NEWS FLASH ************* NEWS FLASH *******

Putin has ordered the military into Ukraine, now the west are putting on sanctions.
Thing is Russia are sitting on lots of important hard assets (like me) which the world needs and Putin knows this and has basically Checkmated the west and the rich people behind the puppet governments in the big chess game.

Now If Putin uses the ace up his sleeve and sets an embargo on important commodities on Europe/west then we may get inflation on steroids!
The wheat market has gone vertical after Putin's announcement, Russian Federation exports the most wheat in the world, also Russia exports oil/gas/coal/aluminium and more. Hard assets folks! ;)

What does this mean for GPU prices from knock on effects?
I would expect GPUs to hold their high price, and even increase further.
I'm pro inflation as I have a huge bet on inflation going up to about 2030.
This is unexpected, lets see what Russia decides to?

Soldato
it doesn't really MATTER, it just might be confusing for people following the story as all the maps i've seen [brief looks, admittedly] have Kyiv so they might think you're referring to a different place.

Soldato
i thought they weren’t at kiev yet?

Chernobyl was the only thing in the way of a clear run to Kiev its flat farmland after that they'll be in Kiev by tomorrow almost certainly. Paratroopers have already taken key sites like airports just outside Kiev.

Its pretty obvious he's going for broke and wants regime change by installing a puppet govt in Kiev a.k.a. like Lukashenko in Belarus. Hope the ukranian president manages to escape before then or he'll be spending the rest of his days in a windowless jail cell.

Man of Honour
Kiev is the English translation from russian, Kyiv is the English translation from Ukrainian

Its all terribly confusing, whilst I keep seeing people saying Kyiv instead of Kiev and Kharkiv instead of Kharkov, I still see those same people say Odessa (russian derived) and not Odesa (ukranian derived). Doesnt seem to be very consistent in which places should be using which derivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom