Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Apart from a few strikes on key locations, they haven’t pushed on into west Ukraine. They are making a shambles of it. Poland is nato. If they can’t beat Ukraine then they can’t do anything conventional to nato. The whole ‘he won’t stop at Ukraine’ thing is nonsense (it has to be for everyone’s sake).

He won't want to stop, if you're a former USSR non Nato member he has plans for you. Putin once said, "The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century."
That's what he's been working on for decades.

Caporegime
He won't want to stop, if you're a former USSR non Nato member he has plans for you. Putin once said, "The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century."
That's what he's been working on for decades.

Him and what army?

He is bogged down in Ukraine, he can only pull so many forces and equipment items away from defending Russia, his military is performing poorly and this is before he has a go at a more competent military, then we get onto the point of lack of logistics, money and ultimately munitions.

Soldato
Him and what army?

He is bogged down in Ukraine, he can only pull so many forces and equipment items away from defending Russia, his military is performing poorly and this is before he has a go at a more competent military, then we get onto the point of lack of logistics, money and ultimately munitions.

He may go up against larger and better-equipped forces, but Ukraine's military has proven themselves to be very "competent" thus far.

Soldato
I find it pretty interesting that the EU have stated they don't want to form an EU army but do want a framework to allow them to deploy 5000 troops quickly and want to train together.

I remember being told that the creation of an EU army was a nailed on certainty, what happened there then?

Soldato
I find it pretty interesting that the EU have stated they don't want to form an EU army but do want a framework to allow them to deploy 5000 troops quickly and want to train together.

I remember being told that the creation of an EU army was a nailed on certainty, what happened there then?

Complacency thinking no one is dumb enough to start something in Europe directly. That turned out well as you can see! :D

Soldato
Complacency thinking no one is dumb enough to start something in Europe directly. That turned out well as you can see! :D

But surely that would galvanise the thought process behind an EU army, but they are saying the don't want one. Surely if ever the time to have one it would be now, wouldn't it?

Man of Honour
Apart from a few strikes on key locations, they haven’t pushed on into west Ukraine. They are making a shambles of it. Poland is nato. If they can’t beat Ukraine then they can’t do anything conventional to nato. The whole ‘he won’t stop at Ukraine’ thing is nonsense (it has to be for everyone’s sake).

Him and what army?

This is Putin playing with the pawns - if he was thinking about taking on a NATO country directly he'd have to put the whole country on a war footing - massive conscription, massive mobilisation of industry for military purposes, etc. we'd be talking a very different situation.

Whether he could or not as someone said above is another matter but indications are that his intentions aren't with stopping at Ukraine but the longer he gets bogged down in Ukraine the less realistic that becomes.

Soldato
Seeing that video of a tank turn its barrel on some journos made me realise just how much a tv camera must look like a javelin when on the shoulder.

Russia are targeting journalists. I also saw a clip of a tank turn his turret right onto an old man (just across the other side of the street opposite him) and fire a shell deliberately at him and obliterated him. They're shooting anybody and everybody.

Soldato
I’m also of the opinion Poland would enter. I expect to preempt what could further down the line if Russia did eventually take Ukraine. I wonder if this would drag in a much larger force for Russia. Considering the mess with logistics I don’t think Russia could actually do anything. It would certainly be opportunistic if Poland hit Russia sooner rather than later while their forces are vulnerable.

Poland won't do anything america won't let them its both the strength of a defensive alliance and also its weakness - if you're attacked others will come to your aid but if you want to act unilaterally others will hold you back

Russia are targeting journalists.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news...-violent-ambush-in-ukraine-this-week-12557585

Soldato
Russia are targeting journalists. I also saw a clip of a tank turn his turret right onto an old man (just across the other side of the street opposite him) and fire a shell deliberately at him and obliterated him. They're shooting anybody and everybody.

Don't you want Putin to forcibly liberate you from the EU loving fascist nationalists and their decadent liberal democracy?

Permabanned
I assume all this "stuff" the west are sending to help Ukraine is being immediately replaced? I haven't heard anything about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if some lag occurs, but how long a lag is acceptable and at what risk to the supplying country leaving themselves more vulnerable?

Caporegime
I assume all this "stuff" the west are sending to help Ukraine is being immediately replaced? I haven't heard anything about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if some lag occurs, but how long a lag is acceptable and at what risk to the supplying country leaving themselves more vulnerable?

We have an insane amount of military hardware. The amount we're sending Ukraine is a drop in the ocean, it barely amounts to a quartermaster's rounding error.

Man of Honour
It's getting spicy over there in the Russian media:

Lot of Russian high profile/high ranks seemed to be heading to St Petersburg today, along with talk of intelligence officials and others at that kind of level being put under house arrest - no idea why or whether there is any significance to it but seems cracks are appearing.

Caporegime

Probably just comes out of stocks and reserve mixed with increased production.

The US and nato also keeps stores of material in other countries for them to use under certain conditions.

There was a lot of USA javelins in Ukraine that they couldn't use before because the condition for the stock pile use was that they would be facing a large Russian invasion.

I imagine the US national gaurd could happily give its entire stock of everything and be in no hurry to replace it

Man of Honour
I'd imagine for instance with the NLAWs we are cycling out the older stock - IIRC they have 20 year lifespan or something - and hopefully replacing it within the next few months.

Some stuff there is concerns about not being replaced i.e. the S-300 systems and one of the reasons countries weren't eager to give up their MIGs without a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom