Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Last time I used a Mac it was in setting and as you say what happens when lid is closed. Doesn't seem to be there now - I'll have play in the morning when I connect it back up to the monitor.

Thanks again for the quick replies :)

Soldato
How much memory do you think is enough for Cinema 4D and Adobe CC (Ps, Id, Ai). I know it's apples to oranges with this new unified memory but wondering if 32Gb would be enough.

Man of Honour
I’m starting to struggle with the screen size on the Air, I’m tempted to order a 14” Pro from Very and use their 20% discount for credit offer. Then give my mum the air and retire her now very slow MacBook.

Soldato
I’m starting to struggle with the screen size on the Air, I’m tempted to order a 14” Pro from Very and use their 20% discount for credit offer. Then give my mum the air and retire her now very slow MacBook.

The 14" has about 15% more screen real estate. If 13" is too small then maybe consider the 16" which has 50% more?

Man of Honour
The 14" has about 15% more screen real estate. If 13" is too small then maybe consider the 16" which has 50% more?
I’ll be getting the 16” as a work machine later in the year. I think I’ll be fine with a 14”, it’s just certain websites and if I zoom out slightly it solves it but it then makes some of the text too small.

Man of Honour
Well I think I’ve managed to get the 14” Pro from Verry with the 20% discount. I went for the 10 core version to give me a little bit of future proofing.

Man of Honour
Hmm, 10 core/16GB/512 GB, or 8 core/32GB/512GB? Both near enough the same price. I tend to run a lot of web pages, Remote Desktop/SSH sessions and will soon start doing more photo editing.

Man of Honour
Meh, I've cancelled the order. My M1 Air does everything I need, albeit with a slightly smaller screen which sometimes I find frustrating. I've change the scaling which has improved things a little in terms of some web pages that I use not being great.

Soldato
Has anyone had any headaches due to the PWM use on these mini LED screens ? I have had my 14” for a few days and have been getting headaches and feeling a bit sick after a few hours use. Not had any issues before with previous models with standard screens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone had any headaches due to the PWM use on these mini LED screens ? I have had my 14” for a few days and have been getting headaches and feeling a bit sick after a few hours use. Not had any issues before with previous models with standard screens.

No issues for me but I've never been sensitive to PWM-related flickering. I've seen reports about it though so you're not the only one.

Soldato
All fine for me after a few weeks use. What is PWM ?

Pulse width modulation. It’s a method used for speed and brightness control. Basically the thing is switched off and on quickly and that action reduces the brightness or speed of a motor or fan etc.

The downsides are that some people are sensitive to it and see it as flickering. It’s also why things like screens canlook like they are flickering when being filmed with a camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Soldato
No issues for me but I've never been sensitive to PWM-related flickering. I've seen reports about it though so you're not the only one.

It’s really bad for me which is gutting as I love the machine it just literally makes me feel I’ll using it. Tbh I have never noticed any issues before so no idea why I’m so sensitive this time. I have an iPhone 13 pro which is meant to be really bad for it but no problems using that. Maybe it’s the frequency ?

:(

Back
Top Bottom