Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'll be getting the 16" from work later on this year, I'm due a refresh in August. Unfortunately it will be corporate enrolled, so will end up having a load of security crap installed on it which has a history of slowing machines down, although how that affects the M CPU I don't know.

I use my gaming Alienware 38" most of the time, it doesn't have USB-C sadly. I have another Dell 4k screen which does have USB-C but it's nicer to work on the Alienware.

The Air has done me well, but I like to sit in the kitchen with it and some websites I use (vSphere, NSX etc) really don't work well unless I either change the resolution or zoom the page out (and even then it's not how I'd like it). It's an annoyance more than anything but other than that for a base spec, it's been an amazing laptop.

Yeah mines enrolled, and I notice the battery is a bit worse than a lot of the stats a lot of people get, we have zscaler, jamf etc plus our 'app store' running etc - but don't notice any major slowdown at least. vSphere/NSX/VCF/vCD is all pretty usable on 14" at least for me, imagine it'll be even better on 16" although I don't spend too much time in the UI these days, more just sat in VS Code.

Man of Honour
Screenshot-2022-04-13-at-17-49-20.png

+ VAT. Cheaper than my partner discount and I don't think Very will get this spec in stock to make use of their 20% discount.
The date still hasn't changed, I'd been reading that some people have had theirs early. I keep checking every day. :D

Reactions: LiE

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato
Still no updates.

Are Apple obfuscating the China to UK part of the shipment and then providing a shipment update once Syncreon or whoever else manages it releases it to the courier?
If it ships individually directly to you from China, then you get the shipment notification from UPS or DHL immediately at dispatch time and you can track it immediately. If Apple ships to a UK-based logistics centre (like in Syncreon) so that it can clear customs and get relabelled with a domestic courier (usually DPD), then you only get the notification when it's handed over to the domestic courier.

Either way you're charged when there's a unit allocated to you and starts going through this process.

Soldato
Preparing to ship now. :o:D
Very good. You might like this:

:) :)

Man of Honour
14-inch MacBook Pro
Arrives Thu May 26

Tracking shows it's from China, if it arrives on Thursday that's quite impressive.

Much excite.

Man of Honour
Nice! I've been tempted by the 14" MBP but the lead times are crazy now, also been looking at a Studio as having the 12.9 iPad I'm not sure I "need" the laptop as well, tempting as the Studio is actually in stock finally!

Soldato
Nice! I've been tempted by the 14" MBP but the lead times are crazy now, also been looking at a Studio as having the 12.9 iPad I'm not sure I "need" the laptop as well, tempting as the Studio is actually in stock finally!

I'm gonna pretend that I didn't read that last part. I've got the 14" as a work machine, but my M1 Mac Mini is base spec, and I sometimes struggle with the memory, and am considering upgrading.

Man of Honour
I ordered it on the 13th of April. Base specs seems to be in stock in some places but I wanted a custom build and then all the lockdown stuff happened in China.

Looking at the emails again I don't think I'll have it on Thursday, the Apple order page shows this Thursday but their dispatch email shows the 31st. What's a few days after waiting for so long? :cry:

A few more months and I'll have the 16" as well as my work laptop. Part of me is tempted to enrol my 14" to get all the certs and use it for work as my 15" i7 is a power hungry heat generating beast.

Soldato
Lots of stock for various specs come and go in stock in typical retailers. They are mostly base specs but sometimes other specs are also available. If you want something quickly it's worth taking a look regularly.

Back
Top Bottom