Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 47.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Has anyone had any headaches due to the PWM use on these mini LED screens ? I have had my 14” for a few days and have been getting headaches and feeling a bit sick after a few hours use. Not had any issues before with previous models with standard screens.
All fine for me after a few weeks use. What is PWM ?

Soldato
Has anyone had any headaches due to the PWM use on these mini LED screens ? I have had my 14” for a few days and have been getting headaches and feeling a bit sick after a few hours use. Not had any issues before with previous models with standard screens.

No issues for me but I've never been sensitive to PWM-related flickering. I've seen reports about it though so you're not the only one.

Soldato
All fine for me after a few weeks use. What is PWM ?

Pulse width modulation. It’s a method used for speed and brightness control. Basically the thing is switched off and on quickly and that action reduces the brightness or speed of a motor or fan etc.

The downsides are that some people are sensitive to it and see it as flickering. It’s also why things like screens canlook like they are flickering when being filmed with a camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Soldato
No issues for me but I've never been sensitive to PWM-related flickering. I've seen reports about it though so you're not the only one.

It’s really bad for me which is gutting as I love the machine it just literally makes me feel I’ll using it. Tbh I have never noticed any issues before so no idea why I’m so sensitive this time. I have an iPhone 13 pro which is meant to be really bad for it but no problems using that. Maybe it’s the frequency ?

:(

Soldato
It’s really bad for me which is gutting as I love the machine it just literally makes me feel I’ll using it. Tbh I have never noticed any issues before so no idea why I’m so sensitive this time. I have an iPhone 13 pro which is meant to be really bad for it but no problems using that. Maybe it’s the frequency ?

:(

Yes it is. These are 14.8 KHz, which is quite low. Typical MacBook screens are about 120KHz. Now while MiniLEDs perform differently to PWM compared to fluorescent backlights (i.e. the numbers don't directly compare), this difference is still noticeable. When these MacBooks were released people who used previous MacBook without any issues were experiencing these problems.

Soldato
It’s a pain literally I just cannot use it without getting headaches and nausea. I’m going to have to return it which is a bugger as it’s perfect really. The screen is stunning too just not in tune with my brain…..

No idea what to replace it with.

Soldato
It’s a pain literally I just cannot use it without getting headaches and nausea. I’m going to have to return it which is a bugger as it’s perfect really. The screen is stunning too just not in tune with my brain…..

i had similar issues with the 2020 MacBook Pro I bought. Ended up returning it and buying a MacBook Air instead which didn’t have the same issue thankfully

LiE

LiE

Soldato
I have a base 16” in silver coming today. It will replace my iMac which has been fantastic. I just need something I can work on in different parts of the house.

Caporegime
A friend of mine can get student discount, is there anything from stopping her ordering it for me?

Caporegime
Screenshot-2022-04-13-at-17-49-20.png

+ VAT. Cheaper than my partner discount and I don't think Very will get this spec in stock to make use of their 20% discount.

Caporegime
I'll have to make do with the Air (which I love) until the delivery. Shame it'll take so long but it is what it is.

Caporegime
Just realised it's 6 weeks or so, I'll cancel and wait for things to calm down and keep an eye on the refurbished store/Very plus other deals etc.

Soldato
Just realised it's 6 weeks or so, I'll cancel and wait for things to calm down and keep an eye on the refurbished store/Very plus other deals etc.

Keep the order. Once you find an alternative way of getting one, then cancel. Apple doesn't charge you until they ship.

Associate
They had a hold on my Amex for the amount, it was showing as pending.
AFAIK that’s how they work. They’ll put the hold on just to make sure they can take payment from the card. If the payment isn’t taken within 7 days the hold will disappear - until about 48 hours before shipment.
As @HACO said, keep the order, you’ve absolutely nothing to lose from doing so.

Top Bottom