What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Well I bought that PC, just for the case really. But it has an ASUS P4S8X 478 board which looks quite nice with good condition caps.

It also came with a PCI 256mb, 128bit FX5200 which is pretty interesting.

I think I'm going to clean it all up and use it for a W98 build.

PXL-20220312-171040188.jpg

PXL-20220312-171054541.jpg

Soldato
Well I bought that PC, just for the case really. But it has an ASUS P4S8X 478 board which looks quite nice with good condition caps.

PXL-20220312-171040188.jpg

PXL-20220312-171054541.jpg

thats a nice looking case, that front fan could do with some RGB bling, these cheapo ones are just rainbow and dont use a controller

My basket at OcUK:
Total: £12.65 (includes delivery: £8.70)

Associate

I was curious about the graphics card, FX 5200 it's not something wow, but a PCI version could always be handy, you never know.
The case is nice though, I would be curious too about an RGB fan, I think it would look cool.

Soldato
Completely recapped the mobo of a circa 2001 Tiny PC, just for the fun of getting it working. So now the PC is up for grabs if anyone local is interested. Will post in MM shortly.

Soldato
Got my 17" 4:3 screen mounted with a cheap but good screen swivel mount. Perfect for some retro goodness. In a small box on a 34" ultrawide monitor it's just not the same

6lRm1z6h.jpg

Soldato
On the weekend someone listed a Power Mac G5 on FB marketplace based a couple miles from my work for £20. Had plenty of images of the internals covered in dust but not much of a description. I remember wanting one back when they were current so I immediately messaged the guy saying I'll take it. I picked it up last night. Took the cover off and realised it's the liquid cooled 'Quad' 2.5Ghz maxxed out with a 7800GT and all ram slots occupied! :eek: don't know what exactly is in it as I don't want to go near it with all the dust. But I'll blow it out ASAP to find out.

Associate
On the weekend someone listed a Power Mac G5 on FB marketplace based a couple miles from my work for £20. Had plenty of images of the internals covered in dust but not much of a description. I remember wanting one back when they were current so I immediately messaged the guy saying I'll take it. I picked it up last night. Took the cover off and realised it's the liquid cooled 'Quad' 2.5Ghz maxxed out with a 7800GT and all ram slots occupied! :eek: don't know what exactly is in it as I don't want to go near it with all the dust. But I'll blow it out ASAP to find out.
I've never been into Apple products, but it's always satisfying to hear about a nice find of a OP system.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334365068558 - There is a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 up for grabs if anyone is interested. I would buy it, but I got already a few of these.

Soldato
TLaXJE8.jpg

Picked up this ASUS V9280s/TVD GeForce 4 Ti 4200 a couple weeks ago and today I dig out one of my AGP based systems to finally test it out. Supposedly it's the superlclocked version and performance sits between the 4400 and 4600 out of the box. I may fit a Zalman VF900 for some more headroom... Going to be used for mainly 98SE and I may duel boot the system with XP too.

Associate
TLaXJE8.jpg

Picked up this ASUS V9280s/TVD GeForce 4 Ti 4200 a couple weeks ago and today I dig out one of my AGP based systems to finally test it out. Supposedly it's the superlclocked version and performance sits between the 4400 and 4600 out of the box. I may fit a Zalman VF900 for some more headroom... Going to be used for mainly 98SE and I may duel boot the system with XP too.
That's a cool looking card. I want one too :D There is one on FB marketplace, but they are asking 90£ for it, which is a big NO.

Soldato
That's a cool looking card. I want one too :D There is one on FB marketplace, but they are asking 90£ for it, which is a big NO.

This one cost me £60 delivered. Maybe a bit more than I should have paid but I've wanted one for a long time and it came up at the right time.

Yesterday a scrap 8800GT arrived I paid £5 for. Not that interesting except it had a Zalman VF900-CU attached. So last night I fitted that to my GF4Ti!

SHuTK2V.jpeg

Also the brand new Akasa Vortexx Neo cooler I ordered for my x1950 Pro 512mb AGP card (bought off of @ThundyCat back in 2012 for £16 and still working perfectly! :eek:) arrived yesterday too, so today I fitted that with fresh thermal pads etc.

kMIznkq.jpeg

Associate
Oh NO! You ruined that GF4 ti :D :D It will get cooled better, that's for sure, but I would still keep that original heatsink, just looks a lot better :D If you want a working card to use I'll trade you other cards for it, if you're interested. :)
You can still find similar Vortex coolers on Ebay, that seller must probably have a warehouse full of them.

Soldato
Oh NO! You ruined that GF4 ti :D :D It will get cooled better, that's for sure, but I would still keep that original heatsink, just looks a lot better :D If you want a working card to use I'll trade you other cards for it, if you're interested. :)
You can still find similar Vortex coolers on Ebay, that seller must probably have a warehouse full of them.

Don't worry I'm keeping the original cooler, when I decide to sell the card on I'll swap them back over and keep the Zalman for future cards.

The Vortexx came from eBay. probably the same seller. Couldn't say no for a tenner! :cool:

Associate
Don't worry I'm keeping the original cooler, when I decide to sell the card on I'll swap them back over and keep the Zalman for future cards.

The Vortexx came from eBay. probably the same seller. Couldn't say no for a tenner! :cool:
That Zalman will fit on multiple cards, is good to keep, I think it's better than the Vortexx. I bought a few of those Vortexx coolers a while ago, I already have the cards to replace the heatsinks, but I don't know in which boxes I've placed them :D

There is a free CRT monitor up for grabs in Cheltenham if anyone is interested and nearby.
https://tinyurl.com/2465jarc

Associate
Really tempted on this one:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...place_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

That was the case I used for my first ever self build! :o
It seems to be brand new, it's a nice retro case.

I've seen one on FB marketplace for 20£, I didn't picked it up because of my wife - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691218018906854
There's also some server cases, brand new, if someone is in the area - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/701012421083375

Back
Top Bottom