What retro things have you done today?

Associate
That's interesting I don't think I've ever had a dead CPU from CEX or anywhere else!

I have a cheapo G41 chipset board and whilst I can adjust voltages and buses continuously in the BIOS, it won't overclock at all... except if I tell it to run at 1066 / 1333 MHz bus specifically. I have my Q6600 at 3GHz on a 1333 bus and it works great in XP and Windows 7.

If your XP machine really is just XP, I would be tempted by a E8500 3.1GHz also for pennies.

Today I missed out on a £30 C64 that was about 3 minutes down the road. Ah well.
At first I thought the computer I put it in was incompatible with the processor "I checked before hand" and it should work with the Q6600 but the computer wont post with it and neither does any other board I have so I tested the other Q6600 I had and it works fine so the Q6600 I got from CEX isn't working. I know processors don't fail easily but this one is dead.

Associate
One thing to note about these metal versions of the Anbernic devices and that never seems to get mentioned on reviews is the weight and feel of them.
They feel premium, and that is because they're all metal casting. They don't really feel comfortable in the hand for long, and they're very slippy.

Anybody wanting a chinese device to play old emulators would probably be better off with the Powkiddy RGB10 Max 2. The controls, form factor and 5" screen are excellent, and they just feel well balanced in the hand.

Soldato
Feeling very tempted to buy an RG351MP to play through some classic SNES RPGs, and the fact it also handles PS1 well is a bonus.
Could get a PSP Go, that handles SNES, Megadrive very well and has build in PSX emulation (POPS) It also has bluetooth and can get items like the PSP Go cradle to hook it up to a TV... oh, it also plays PSP games natively which I hear the RG351MP struggles with

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got my 3dprinter working well so I have started on some projects.

My Dell 486 needs some brackets made to mount a CDRom drive so I have designed and printed a test one. Works just as well as I hoped so after a couple of adjustments I will print a pair and finally be able to seal this system up as "finished".

Associate
I'm going to buy some new retro games to play... there only a few quid on ebay. I used to buy games from CEX but they always scratched. I like car games a lot I'm just thinking what car games to get... from 2000 to 2010 sort of era.

Associate
Finally got my 3dprinter working well so I have started on some projects.

My Dell 486 needs some brackets made to mount a CDRom drive so I have designed and printed a test one. Works just as well as I hoped so after a couple of adjustments I will print a pair and finally be able to seal this system up as "finished".

Nice work Lewis, they look great! I can imagine a 3D printer will be a real asset to have in this hobby! I hope you're well mate!

Soldato
Mounts turned out perfect. CD drive now in place and held solid. Shame I made a bit of a mess cutting out the front panel but perhaps one day I can try and model one and print a replacement.

Fit an ESS 1869F and installed the drivers from vogons drivers alongside phils dos startup pack. This is the same card I had only briefly tested before and it wasnt working great but in this machine and pure dos its perfect.

All working great! with a real 500mb HDD which makes all the right retro noises.

Edit: That gap between FDD and CD is actually like that on the ones with factory fitted CDroms!

Associate
Mounts turned out perfect. CD drive now in place and held solid. Shame I made a bit of a mess cutting out the front panel but perhaps one day I can try and model one and print a replacement.

Fit an ESS 1869F and installed the drivers from vogons drivers alongside phils dos startup pack. This is the same card I had only briefly tested before and it wasnt working great but in this machine and pure dos its perfect.

All working great! with a real 500mb HDD which makes all the right retro noises.

Edit: That gap between FDD and CD is actually like that on the ones with factory fitted CDroms!
Looks great, that power switch button looks awesome :)
I love using old hard drives, it's not the same without the grinding noise :D

Soldato
Looks great, that power switch button looks awesome :)
I love using old hard drives, it's not the same without the grinding noise :D
Can hdd sounds be emulated in Dosbox like the floppy drive can in Winuae?
Im all for the authentic grinding sounds but clicks & grinds on real hardware usually meant a pending failure. At least that was my experience with older floppy and hard drives

Soldato
Im all for the authentic grinding sounds but clicks & grinds on real hardware usually meant a pending failure. At least that was my experience with older floppy and hard drives

C64 1541 floppy drives bang the drive head against the endstop repeatedly when formatting, leading to an alarming clicking/rattling sound. I imagine that does wonders for head alignment.
And of course the Amiga drives (particually the Commodore external ones) were really noisy and clicky.

Soldato
C64 1541 floppy drives bang the drive head against the endstop repeatedly when formatting, leading to an alarming clicking/rattling sound. I imagine that does wonders for head alignment.
And of course the Amiga drives (particually the Commodore external ones) were really noisy and clicky.
Half my childhood (7-12) was spent watching (hoping) green dots would complete in xcopy and the clicking stop. Then the boing noise at the end when it had finished

Associate
I guess I meant clicking sounds or not as grinding sound :D I want to hear the hard drive working hard there to access information. But yeah, sounding like a piece of metal entered an engine it was a sign of bad hard drive.

How do I ask a question on the forum guys? I just need some pc advice..
You can ask here too? Send me a private message, I'll try to help you out the best I can. :)

Soldato
Has anyone bought a C64 Maxi? Is it a good way of playing C64 games and messing around with Basic like typing in games from magazines?

Also does the HDMI output only do 720p, or can I hook it up to a 5:4 DVI monitor using a HDMI to DVI cable and it'll output 1280*1024 (even if I have to set it somewhere)

Soldato
I have a K7 PRO with a Slot A 600Mhz Athlon.

Sadly it has/had a blown chip near the bottom of the board, under and to the left of the BIOS. So appeared to be dead, even when using with known good/basic GPU, RAM, etc.

Posted on Vogons and someone suggested it might be the controller for the Diagnostics-LED's and just to pull it out. So I did, and the board POSTs now. BUT it doesnt seem to be the D-LED controller after all, as they still work.

Looks like it might be for some of the PCI ports, but need to test further. I was just happy enough to see it brought to life :)

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4027.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom