This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Well,
Samsung Odessy G7 pulls 78w
the BenQ 28" 4k is 55w
Samsung Odessy G9 108w
Asus TF gaming monitor 65w
My iiyama g-master is rated at 60w

So plenty suggest they are around that.
Maximum rated wattage is not the average power consumption during normal use. Have you actually measured what your monitor uses? Mine is rated for 115W but actually uses around 27W.

Soldato
Maximum rated wattage is not the average power consumption during normal use. Have you actually measured what your monitor uses? Mine is rated for 115W but actually uses around 27W.

Well when gaming in HDR I'm pulling the 60w my monitor is rated at so yeah that is what I've taken as the gaming figure that discussed. When just in SDR on desktop it's like 24-30w

Soldato
Bring in a Ukrainian and get £350 plus a dishwasher....
Especially if its those twins in the oictures:cry:. There's so many factors that are going to affect monitor power consumption. Using hdr is probably the biggest though as your essentials turning the brightness up, wonder if the different types of lcd screens vary too:confused: (as in tn, ips and vary, I'd expect the bigger the screen the more power for obvious reasons. Wonder how many people turn the brightness down to save money if they're already limiting fps.

Soldato
Convenience of a dishwasher far outweighs the electric cost.

Don't think washing machine manufacturers recommend running the ultra short cycles all the time, needs a longer hot wash occasionally to help clear out leftover detergent. Starts to smell if you let it build up

Better hygiene as well? Washing up manually in bowl, washing dishes in dirty water. VS the rinse in a dish washer.

Caporegime
Better hygiene as well? Washing up manually in bowl, washing dishes in dirty water. VS the rinse in a dish washer.
you ever heard of rinsing dishes? you prewash for a dishwasher anyway most of the time, you can just wash dishes by hand in the same time with a running tap. washing up liquid and a sponge/scrubber

Soldato
Why are current are current solar panels so inefficient?

There not really not, the efficiency rating is based on how much of the suns energy hitting the panel is converted to electrons. Capturing sunlight is non-trivial and the amount of energy hitting the panel is massive, its frankly amazing they are able to capture as much as they do and they have improved greatly in such a short space of time.

But to answer your question, a huge amount of the light is reflected (that's how you can see them), some of it is lost to heat, some of it to conversion losses etc.

Commissario
Why are current are current solar panels so inefficient?
Solar panels are slowly getting more efficient, but the latest/more efficient ones are still very much more expensive than older ones.
IIRC they've more or less doubled in efficiency over the last 20 years or so, but there are issues with the materials used*, I believe some of the current research is in how to use multiple layers of cell so you get a higher output for the same space, and working out ways to put them into "standard" window forms so rather than having them just on the roof/walls you can have them as part of the standard window installation where you don't have to find space for them.

*Both in absolute terms (as in there is not much better), and in what is feasible in terms of mass production/cost.

Associate
Especially if its those twins in the oictures:cry:. There's so many factors that are going to affect monitor power consumption. Using hdr is probably the biggest though as your essentials turning the brightness up, wonder if the different types of lcd screens vary too:confused: (as in tn, ips and vary, I'd expect the bigger the screen the more power for obvious reasons. Wonder how many people turn the brightness down to save money if they're already limiting fps.
Changing my monitor brightness doesn't have a big effect on power consumption. Also I saved a lot of power without limiting fps, the stock voltage/frequency curve is ridiculously inefficient on 3000 series cards. My main goal was reducing heat output, cost savings were just a bonus.

Soldato
There not really not, the efficiency rating is based on how much of the suns energy hitting the panel is converted to electrons. Capturing sunlight is non-trivial and the amount of energy hitting the panel is massive, its frankly amazing they are able to capture as much as they do and they have improved greatly in such a short space of time.

But to answer your question, a huge amount of the light is reflected (that's how you can see them), some of it is lost to heat, some of it to conversion losses etc.

There was a programme on R4 last week Costing the Earth they were talking to a guy who is creating some more efficient panels only a certain wavelength gets used due to the nature of the material. With plants its interesting there are red photons which are low energy but theres plenty of them with blue and violet they're high energy but relatively few of them so its a trade off its also the reason almost all plants are green because green is unused and reflected because its neither present in enough quantity nor is it high enough energy to be worth capturing

Caporegime
Same here family of four, really not that hard to wash by hand. I prefer to wash as I go so a dishwasher would be useless.

A family of 4 and no dishwasher?? :O

Dishwasher is probably my favourite non essential appliance.
If mine died tomorrow I'd have a new one in by weeks end.

Cannot believe the time it saves

And there's only 2 of us

Last edited:
Caporegime
If a household of 2 deems a dishwasher essential, no wonder there's an energy crisis, that is the epitome of laziness.

It's not essential. It's my favourite optional appliance!

The dishwasher is more efficient than than firing up the boiler to heat the water to wash by hand!

It's more water efficient and energy efficient and time efficient than doing it by hand.

Caporegime
A family of 4 and no dishwasher?? :O

Dishwasher is probably my favourite non essential appliance.
If mine died tomorrow I'd have a new one in by weeks end.

Cannot believe the time it saves

And there's only 2 of us
in the time it takes to rinse, load and unload the dish washer you could do it manually anyway.
It's more water efficient and energy efficient and time efficient than doing it by hand.
doubt it.

you don't need to fill a sink with water, you could just wash stuff as you use it with a running tap takes like 5-10seconds per item and uses barely any water
uses 0 electricity and 0 salt

Caporegime
in the time it takes to rinse, load and unload the dish washer you could do it manually anyway.

doubt it.

you don't need to fill a sink with water, you could just wash stuff as you use it with a running tap takes like 5-10seconds per item and uses barely any water
uses 0 electricity and 0 salt

The dishwasher only goes on once every 2 days.
It uses 11l of water every 2 days and 1 kwh of electricity.

That's 5-6 times washing up done in one go

Back
Top Bottom