• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's running the worst GPU?

Associate
Thought it would be interesting to see who is running the worst GPU during this time of crazy prices. I had an RX 6800 for a while but sold to CEX when they were offering mental prices back in May. I am now the proud owner of a Nvidia Quadro NV295. Cost £10 and can only just run at 1440p 60Hz for desktop usage. Struggles to run Minecraft on low settings.

Man of Honour
Best to exclude integrated gfx from this thread, and only systems that are used multiple times a week, otherwise there will be some shockers.

I'm still using AMD HD5470M in an old laptop used for watching Youtube in the kitchen. It's that old that it's the previous Radeon 5000 series, not the new one :) Probably slower than that Quadro. The laptop is kind of knackered though, broken keyboard so have to use external keyboard, HDD runs at 100% utilisation nearly all the time so it is ultra slow. When I get round to it, I plan to replace this system with a desktop running a 8800GTS 320MB.

edit: In terms of worst GPU used regularly for gaming (as might be more interesting), my son is using a Radeon HD7950 I bought in 2012 before he was born.

Soldato
edit: In terms of worst GPU used regularly for gaming (as might be more interesting), my son is using a Radeon HD7950 I bought in 2012 before he was born.

To be fair, the HD7950 still runs most current games passably. I had one myself up until around 2020 and it was still getting by as long as settings were lowered, probably the best GPU in terms of longevity I've ever owned.

Caporegime
980Ti - desktop, RTX3060 (only 6GB of VRAM) - laptop.

Probably roughly about the same in performance when you factor in the lower clocks on a laptop.

Last edited:
Associate
Rx460 2gb. Not a bad card by any means, played a few games at 90fps 1440p even. I tried running Halo Infinite on it, not a pretty experience. I would like to retire it to my HTPC at some point which is running IGPU, but think i'm going to hold out for a while yet.

Soldato
780Ti in the backup PC, also have a 7900GX2 (long edition) and a 460GTX.... their prices should skyrocket with the energy price increases.

Man of Honour
To be fair, the HD7950 still runs most current games passably. I had one myself up until around 2020 and it was still getting by as long as settings were lowered, probably the best GPU in terms of longevity I've ever owned.
Yeah, it's not bad, Fine Wine and all that. Annoyingly, AMD stopped issuing driver updates for it the month prior to releasing FSR, although I'm trying some custom driver that's been modified to support GCN. It also responds reasonably well to overclocking (probably because it has 8+6pin power connectors), and my son doesn't play many games that are super-demanding (no AAA shooters, PEGI 12+ etc). It is pushing a 1440p 144hz screen however so could really do with FSR. Stuff like Minecraft, FIFA, PvZ GW2, NFS games etc it seems to run OK with appropriate settings.

780Ti in the backup PC, also have a 7900GX2 (long edition) and a 460GTX.... their prices should skyrocket with the energy price increases.
One downside with my 7950 is the performance to power consumption ratio is pretty poor compared to modern cards, it's a 200W part. That's 50% more power than say a much more powerful RX6600, plus it's running nearly all the time pegged at 99% utilisation with +20% power limit.

Soldato
I'm still rocking a Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-x, 2nd hand special from ebay, from waaaaay back in 2014. I can't believe it's been that long already. Certainly got more than my monies worth out of it. If I recall correctly, it was around £250 on auction. I never did get around to flashing it to the 290x bios and you'll be damned if I'm trying that now. Can't afford to brick it.

Soldato
Kids using an old desktop with 1050ti. Mostly for Roblox and Strategy games. They could use a laptop with a 3060 but they seem to prefer the old desktop.

I've another old desktop with another 1050 in it sitting idle. Should probably flog it.

Associate
Since the 2012 I've only brought second hand pc parts, but last year I sold my pc at a fair rate to a local family that want a pc for there kid. I was told by my work I was allowed to take an old business laptop dell e7270(i5 6300u with 520hd graphics) I have to admit not as painful as expected if you manage to adjust your expectations correctly. Dead rising been fun, aswell as command and conquer generals :D games that I hadn't really played till now.

Soldato
One downside with my 7950 is the performance to power consumption ratio is pretty poor compared to modern cards, it's a 200W part. That's 50% more power than say a much more powerful RX6600, plus it's running nearly all the time pegged at 99% utilisation with +20% power limit.

And unless it's an SLI supported game and you have the drivers, the second GPU just sits there twiddling its thumbs. Plus, I had to hack out a slot in the drive cage as the card is over a foot long.

Associate
I've been on my old Sapphire HD 6870 Vapor-X (bought new in Oct 2011) since my R9 290 started having problems around 18 months back (suspect it's a BGA solder problem). Though just yesterday managed to get my 290 working again at least temporarily, but will go back to the 6870 until I can find some new pads. It was either the 6870 or the integrated on my 6600K CPU and I found the 6870 was better in some ways.

I had planned to upgrade my whole system and go to a 6800XT but wasn't willing to pay the current GPU prices, and without a gaming GPU to let me play anything new it seemed a bit pointless to upgrade the rest :/

Back
Top Bottom