• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700X overheating

Associate
Hey All,

So I got a 5700x from OCUK the day after release and swapped out my 3600x, cooled by an EVGA CLC280. I tested the cooler on my 3600x and the temps were fine running prime95, sorry can't remember the exact temps, but they were well within tolerances. When I stuck the 5700x (at stock) in I cleaned off all the TIM with alcohol and reapplied new paste, stuck it all back together again and ran a prime 95 test and it jumped almost straight up to 90C :eek:. So I left it for a week or so with minimal usage and then when I next had a chance, removed the heatsink and checked if there was a full spread of paste, it didn't look too bad, but I stuck a bit more on just to be safe. Tested again and it jumped straight back up to 90C. Has anyone else had an issue with this CPU or am I doing something wrong??

Cheers,

Locrieth

Soldato
5700x has all the heat coming from one chiplet, the 5900x has the heat coming from 2 chiplets so the heat is not as concentrated in one area of the chip. Same with the 5600x, heat spread over more chiplets.

Hopefully someone can confirm this as it's how I see the 5700, 5800 cpus?

Associate
OP
I means it's not the end of the world, I use it mainly for gaming so I'm unlikely to ever hit the same workload as prime 95, but I was hoping the 65W TDP would be more like when people say they run their 5800x in eco mode to cool them a bit. I was surprised how quickly it jumped to 90+ C in a matter of seconds. It was mainly to see if this was expected behaviour or if I had an issue with my specific CPU...

Associate
5700x has all the heat coming from one chiplet, the 5900x has the heat coming from 2 chiplets so the heat is not as concentrated in one area of the chip. Same with the 5600x, heat spread over more chiplets.

Hopefully someone can confirm this as it's how I see the 5700, 5800 cpus?

Certainly heat density. The CCD is only about 80mm² so quite dense.

As regards the 5600X, like the 3600 it is one CCD but only uses 6 out of the 8 cores. Ideally they would only use dies where 1 or 2 cores are defect, but since 7nm yields are meant to be so good (and 80mm² is pretty small), they will fuse-off perfectly good dies for these too.

Now, given the choice when fusing of 2 out of 8 cores we'd hope that they will fuse off the ones with the worse voltage profile, but again no guarantee. Still, even if a 5600X and a 5800X had cores which were all the same, having two less should mean they run a bit cooler - all else being equal.

As for the OP's temp: I don't think they are that bad. In terms of perf/watt the 5700X is actually pretty good. In terms of max core temp, not so much. However, these chips will throttle long before they do themselves any harm.

Associate
OP
What sort of temps are you getting when you run it through Cinebench or CPU-Z stress test?
I will give it a test as soon as I get home, I only ran prime 95 on smallest FFTs for a few mins and saw the temps and stopped it. Was that the best test in prime95 to use or should I have used small FFTs?

Caporegime
I will give it a test as soon as I get home, I only ran prime 95 on smallest FFTs for a few mins and saw the temps and stopped it. Was that the best test in prime95 to use or should I have used small FFTs?

I just ran my 5800X on Smallest FFTs and it also shot straight to 90c.

It doesn't do that in anything else, so if your temps don't do that in CPU-Z stress or Cinebench i wouldn't worry about it. Test that when you get home :)

Associate
OP
I just ran my 5800X on Smallest FFTs and it also shot straight to 90c.

It doesn't do that in anything else, so if your temps don't do that in CPU-Z stress or Cinebench i wouldn't worry about it. Test that when you get home :)
Right OK, thanks for testing yours. I'll give it a test in Cinebench and CPU-Z when I get home, and post my results back. For settings for Prime 95, I was just having a read and am I supposed to be using small not smallest FFTs?

Caporegime
Right OK, thanks for testing yours. I'll give it a test in Cinebench and CPU-Z when I get home, and post my results back. For settings for Prime 95, I was just having a read and am I supposed to be using small not smallest FFTs?

I don't know, i don't like Prime95 at all, at least not for modern CPU's with AVX instructions, some will and do argue "Prime95 is a legitimate use case" i have never see anything stress a CPU anything like as hard as that, especially smallest FFTs, it seems to me to put a far higher load on the CPU that it will ever see in any real world application, which in some ways is fine because its the ultimate tress test, i guess.... i just don't think any programmer making software for the real world would use the AVX instruction set in this way.
You could use larger FFTs and its less stressful but IMO Cinebench is a legitimate stress test as its a real application (Cinema4D) and its about as stressful as it gets for real world applications. so if all is well there you shouldn't worry about anything else.

Associate
hi locrieth i just got my 5700x yesterday also i had a 5600x but wanted 8 cores
my idle temp is currently 38c
and if i run prime 95 the highest i see it going is around 70-75c
so in my opinion i think there is definatly something wrong here bud.
maybe apply thermal paste again or maybe bad air flo?
just guessing. any questions feel free to ask.

Caporegime
and if i run prime 95c the highest i see it going is around 70-75c
so i think there is definatly something wrong here bud.
fantastic cpu by the way aswell really good performer

Now switch it to smallest FFTs. ;)

Associate
OP
and if i run prime 95 the highest i see it going is around 70-75c
so in my opinion i think there is definatly something wrong here bud.

Hey, cheers for the response. Which test did you do in Prime? was it the smallest FFTs? Ok hadn't refreshed the page and seen response. Hmm now I'm more concerned again...

Associate
Hey, cheers for the response. Which test did you do in Prime? was it the smallest FFTs?
yep bro ive tested it on all the modes including smallest ffts
highest my temp goes to is 76 but mostly stays around 74c

not sure how to post a scrrenshot otherwise i would show you

Caporegime
i already have done bro highest i get to is 76c
so there is definatly something wrong here with his :)

The one thing that crossed my mind when i first read this was "has his Motherboard unlocked PBO and is it due to that pulling far too much juice" but then i tested my own CPU on smallest FFTs and it also shot right to 90c, which it never does in anything else, it usually maxes around 80c.

You could be right, some motherboard vendors are a bit thick and treat these CPU's like Intel CPU's and have their version of MCE for it, that's a disaster for Zen 3 temps and performance as unlike Intel they don't respond well to just ramming a crap tonne of amps and volts in to them.

Lets see what his temps are when he tests it in Cinebench, we will take it from there :)

Associate
OP
I'm using the EVGA 280 and it litterally shoots up to 90+ C in about 10-15 seconds in Prime 95 Smallest FFTs, I'll probably be home in about an hour so i'll test Cinebench and CPU-z and post back results plus PBO setting in BIOS

Back
Top Bottom