Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
If you already have a grinder I'd go separates like and get a one cup filter option -
I keep looking at clever dripper , or these look interesting https://www.cremashop.eu/en/products/planetary-design/double-shot-with-bru-stop/4927
so that I could make one cup of filter and replace the instant coffee I drink.

run out of coffee beans ! so experimenting with espresso machine steam nozzle for hot chocolate , but, just can't get the froth,
Does anyone have any success photos/technique to educate/embarrass me.
(20g milk powder tsp sugar tsp cocoa - mix to a paste with water, top up to 200ml)

51989037457_f9be455979_w_d.jpg

Soldato
finally saw a hoffman video which educated me
gives great idea to use a glass jug water&drop of fairy to understand and improve milk steaming, heat capacity of glass obviously different to stainless pitcher, but nonetheless good idea.

Everything You Need To Know To Steam Great Milk

I stumbled across said video too. Learned a bit & I will give his method a try as I had no clue. My results beforehand have been inconsistent to say the least, which have frustrated me in the past.

Soldato
I stumbled across said video too. Learned a bit & I will give his method a try as I had no clue. My results beforehand have been inconsistent to say the least, which have frustrated me in the past.
yes the tip on just barely putting the tip beneath surface seems to have been the key for me, so that steam is allowing air to enter the milk,
my hot chocolates have more body, but it seems transient & disappears quickly,
my suspicion is either I have heated the milk too much, or that cocoa&sugar inherently inhibit foam.
... but it would now be a presentable guest drink.

Soldato
For steaming milk, Lance Hedrick has two fantastic videos on it. One is his first YT video and the refresher was posted just a few months back. I follow his method every time and the milk is perfect - looks like white paint.

His method is simple. With steam want in line with you, have it pointing downwards at 45 degrees and bring the milk pitcher to it. Touch the back of the wand with the inside of the spout. Tilt the jug (front/back direction) so the wand is pointing directly into the middle of the jug. Maintaining that front/back position, tilt the jug left/right so the wand is halfway between the centre of the jug and the right inside quadrant of the jug.
Steam with the wand close to the surface of milk until you hear a light "kissing". Not too loud and bubbly, keep it nice and light. When the milk is about the temperature of your hand, raise the pitcher so the kissing stops. The wand needs to be as close to the surface of the milk without any kissing noise. Then stop steaming when it becomes hot to the touch.

Let the milk settle for 30 seconds too, then tap the jug against the worktop to knock the bubbles out. Cover with hand mind or it gets messy.

Soldato
Soldato
and sugar is it it?
and more sugar ... 375 calories thought it was bad, can't have too many of those in a lifetime and avoid diabetes - did they skirt the sugar tax as a milk drink

she hasn't found a way to re-create the Starbucks style ice coffees.
seem to be good videos just need the syrups - guy I've got a good chocolate recipe from has one

Mocha frappe | barista training | How to make mocha frappe

How to make Hot chocolate | barista training |

Soldato
Does anyone here use a dosing cup to grind into then to transfer the grind into the portafilter? I have got a plastic type funnel in my basket that catches a decent amount of the grinds and allows WDT but I'd like to check the output of my grinder and it seems a dosing type cup would be ideal, plus *could* reduce the need for WDT.
Are the cheap ~£12 jobs ok or are the more expensive ones better somehow?
Ta :)

Caporegime
Does anyone here use a dosing cup to grind into then to transfer the grind into the portafilter? I have got a plastic type funnel in my basket that catches a decent amount of the grinds and allows WDT but I'd like to check the output of my grinder and it seems a dosing type cup would be ideal, plus *could* reduce the need for WDT.
Are the cheap ~£12 jobs ok or are the more expensive ones better somehow?
Ta :)

The most important thing is the size of the cup fits into (inside) the portafiler. A metal one is best as the edges are thinner but if you are using a WDT it doesn't matter. Turn the portafilter upside down and put on top. Then turn everything 180, shake it a bit then lift. To add to this, I put a funnel on top so nothing gets spill over.

The Niche came with one.

Soldato
once you have found how much residual coffee is in the grinder can just pre-weigh before grinding (assuming minimal pop-corning)
could buy an aluminium pot for fairly cheap 55mm mouth https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282517653681

------------

new guy doing some fact based videos on the dedica, given that you can get warehouse ones <£100 they still seem a good deal
WORTH THE UPGRADE? DELONGHI DEDICA vs GAGGIA CLASSIC
perhaps he's on retainer with delonghi

Caporegime
So I've been converted. I prefer oat milk in my coffee (and it's not bad on my shreddies, either). Not for any altruistic reason (though they are a nice feel good bonus), I simply prefer the taste (and the texture).

So far I've only tried Oatly's "whole milk" but I'm looking out for recommendations of brands/blends/whatevers. Tesco have Minor Figures Barista Oat Milk on the shelf, will be trying them next.

On the wider topic of non-dairy milk, Macadamia milk is tasty but sparse and expensive.

Soldato
Doesn't hoffmann push his own brand of oat milk - maybe that is the tescos stuff.
they are $$$ though so I could be drinking jersey full fat on my coffee/cereal (&plant a tree), maybe the barista stuff is more tolerant if oversteamed - a risk I believe;

although the oils in the nuts, and emulsifing them, does sound more compatible with a milk type drink than oats, after the tv programme where they dietetically derived the weight of nuts actually used, there is a big markup, and a diy solution would be interesting if i had a high speed blender, a strong flavour of nuts like coconut milk might be nice.

I've cut caffeine use in half as I now make steamed chocolate drink 50% of the time , need a bigger steamng pot though than 12oz since there is frequently some over spray.

Soldato
So I've been converted. I prefer oat milk in my coffee (and it's not bad on my shreddies, either). Not for any altruistic reason (though they are a nice feel good bonus), I simply prefer the taste (and the texture).

So far I've only tried Oatly's "whole milk" but I'm looking out for recommendations of brands/blends/whatevers. Tesco have Minor Figures Barista Oat Milk on the shelf, will be trying them next.

On the wider topic of non-dairy milk, Macadamia milk is tasty but sparse and expensive.
We've settled on oat milk as the only sensible alternative now. Ideally only the barista versions, the "regular" oat milk often falls out of tea. Barista oat milk makes for a very creamy cuppa like full fat milk, which isn't my usual style, but almond, coconut, etc just aren't very nice for any purpose at all. And most of them separate in coffee unless steamed as well.

Partner has been vegan since we met so moved away from dairy at home 2014 ish, honestly it's taken until now to find consistent happiness. We use soy milk a lot but I'm trying to cut down on the immense levels of soya in vegan food.

Soldato

I popped into the coffee shop close to where I work yesterday, I got talking to the barista and she wanted me to try an alternative oat milk. One was Oatly barista edition the other was a new oat milk by all Pro. link:

Verdict? Oatly.

2 latte sized flat whites for the price of one & Caravan Roasted coffee I think was a result.

Back
Top Bottom