Are there any ATX 3.0 PUS on sale already?

Associate
Given that Intel announced the standards and I'm looking to build a new PC, I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.
Are there any PSUs compliant with the specification already? How much would buying now would hamper me from changing GPU in 3-5 years?

Thanks!

Associate
You do know that its an announcement? It'll take ages to come out and your GPU will be fine for the next 3 years.

It's not making old tech no longer functional, it's improving tech going forward.

You'd still be able to buy an ATX 2.0 GPU and PSU in 10 years time.

Associate
OP

Quoting: "The PSU doesn't have a 12+4 pin PCIe connector, meaning that it isn't compatible with either the newest ATX spec (v3.0) or upcoming GPUs. It is not ideal to buy a PSU right now because we are in a transition phase from the previous ATX spec to the new one."

This is what got me worried about...

Associate

Quoting: "The PSU doesn't have a 12+4 pin PCIe connector, meaning that it isn't compatible with either the newest ATX spec (v3.0) or upcoming GPUs. It is not ideal to buy a PSU right now because we are in a transition phase from the previous ATX spec to the new one."

This is what got me worried about...
Toms is just writing that for clicks.

They don't honestly care, it's just a point to make to fill the review out.

There's also no mention of that in the Against section of the review so I wouldn't stress.

Which PSU are you looking at?

Associate
OP
Toms is just writing that for clicks.

They don't honestly care, it's just a point to make to fill the review out.

There's also no mention of that in the Against section of the review so I wouldn't stress.

Which PSU are you looking at?

850W Cooler Master V850 Gold V2

Soldato
The main feature(s) in the ATX 3.0 standard are;

1. The current 'proprietary' 12pin connector for the 3xxx founders edition GPU will be added to the other PSU connectors (ATX 24pin, ATX 4+4 pin, PCI-e 6pin & 8pin, SATA & legacy connectors such as Molex & floppy disk) pretty sure the last two will be phased out as they are hardly used on PC's anymore.

2. PSU Design will be adapted/improved to cope with the insane power draw & power spikes of modern GPU's to eliminate or reduce system instability.

In short, if you don't plan on getting a high end Nvidia GPU for your new rig you'll do just fine. There'd be an outcry if current spec PSU's were withdrawn & new Spec PSU's were incompatible. Never gonna happen.

Finally, I'll wager that Seasonic will be First to market with an ATX 3.0 spec PSU.

Soldato
Just lol! :)

Just because a new standard is comming, and not even available yet, every one panics and thinks they all need a new PSU? hahahah!

Your (presumably good quality) ATX 2.x PSU is not going to suddenly catch fire and burn your house down at 12.00 midnight when ATX 3 comes out. FML.

See also DDR5, even though its worse than DDR4 at the moment, and massivley more expensive.

Associate
OP
My worry is not about now but rather in about 5-6 years, when it will be time to get a new GPU. Will I have compatibility issues by then? Will I need a new PSU?

Man of Honour
My worry is not about now but rather in about 5-6 years, when it will be time to get a new GPU. Will I have compatibility issues by then? Will I need a new PSU?

It's more of an issue for the motherboard in my opinion, because that will be very different to what have we now, with only 12v, but there are already proof of concept adapters available for this (albeit, you'd lose the efficiency benefits at idle). GPUs should be no problem, since we already have adapters and they can make more.

As far as I know, there's no consensus that these changes are going to go ahead. Even if Intel push it with Raptor Lake, it is rumoured to only apply to the low-end.

Soldato

Assuming the PSU is has enough power, then at worst you'll need an adapter cable(s).

The PSU isn't doing anything different, it's just doing it's AC/DC conversion thing like it always did.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about 5 to 6 years time. Buy whatever PSU you want now and if you happens that you do need a new PSU you will have had 5 years use out of it!

Soldato
Given that Intel announced the standards and I'm looking to build a new PC, I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.
Are there any PSUs compliant with the specification already? How much would buying now would hamper me from changing GPU in 3-5 years?

Thanks!

Yes MSI will launch their new MSI MEG 1000P and MEG Ai1300 ATX 3.0 and PCI Express 5.0 compliant PSUs soon probably in a few weeks, months or around the time of AMD Zen 4 and Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake launch. No prices details yet. I will wait to see Corsair ATX 3.0 PSUs.

Soldato
Not seen any but I noticed EVGA recently released a new ATX 2.0 model, I wonder of the morals of releasing new SKUs which potentially wont be compatible with upcoming hardware.

Associate
OP
Ok, let's try to frame this a bit better: if I will limit myself to 300-350W GPUs, will a current-gen ATX 2.0 850W PUS be able to power a new GPU of the same wattage in 5 years?
My current 650W PSU did fine both with the original HD7970 and the current RX 590, I would hope to do the same in the future...

Soldato
Yes MSI will launch their new MSI MEG 1000P and MEG Ai1300 ATX 3.0 and PCI Express 5.0 compliant PSUs soon probably in a few weeks, months or around the time of AMD Zen 4 and Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake launch. No prices details yet. I will wait to see Corsair ATX 3.0 PSUs.

OK, so I could be wrong. If Seasonic is the OEM for these, I could be right after all.

Soldato
OK, so I could be wrong. If Seasonic is the OEM for these, I could be right after all.
I checked MSI website found MPG A1000G has the same exterior design as both MEG 1000P and MEG Ai1300 PSUs so I found MPG A1000G Tomshardware review confirmed OEM used CWT Channel Well Technology, not Seasonic.

I also checked all MSI PSUs MPG 650GF, MPG 750GF, MPG 850GF confirmed used OEM CWT so it seem MSI MEG PSUs will use same OEM CWT.

I checked my 7 years old Corsair AX860 PSU used OEM Seasonic, previous Corsair AX850 PSU used same OEM Seasonic died 3 years after bought it then I RMAed it for replacement and ordered Corsair AX860. I received new AX850 replacement and sold it on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom