• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Caporegime
@Wrinkly RE: your massive slide post, you need to look at it more closely, the 12900K and 5950X are trading blows.

You're trying to get people to spend £50 more on a CPU that's no faster and uses twice as much power, on top of that another £200+ to change platforms when they have no need to do that.

Its not advice you're giving here, its not even just really bad advice, it looks more like you're trying to generate a sale for Intel at the expense of the people you're trying to fool.

Soldato
@Wrinkly RE: your massive slide post, you need to look at it more closely, the 12900K and 5950X are trading blows.

You're trying to get people to spend £50 more on a CPU that's no faster and uses twice as much power, on top of that another £200+ to change platforms when they have no need to do that.

Its not advice you're giving here, its not even just really bad advice, it looks more like you're trying to generate a sale for Intel at the expense of the people you're trying to fool.

12900k uses les power in games compared to the 5950X, as well as having higher IPC.

GjxwJlp.png

Source: https://wccftech.com/review/intel-c...-wifi-g-skill-trident-z5-ddr5-6000-memory/15/

The platform is also much newer, DDR5, PCIE-v5, upgade path to 24 core processors (13900k) which will be drop in socket, so no brainer really.

Permabanned
People are missing the point I feel. I don't really need much more juice but theoretically I can sell my 3900x for (150? Ish) then upgrade to 5950X for £350.....seems a no brainer.

Absolutely pointless, at this time, looking at Intel for marginal gains at a much higher cost. Argument is silly when there is a cost effective upgrade path already.

Caporegime
People are missing the point I feel. I don't really need much more juice but theoretically I can sell my 3900x for (150? Ish) then upgrade to 5950X for £350.....seems a no brainer.

Absolutely pointless, at this time, looking at Intel for marginal gains at a much higher cost. Argument is silly when there is a cost effective upgrade path already.

No no no... spend £600 after selling the CPU instead and get the same performance for twice the power consumption, you will save 13 watts during gaming tho. :D

12900k uses les power in games compared to the 5950X, as well as having higher IPC.

GjxwJlp.png

Source: https://wccftech.com/review/intel-c...-wifi-g-skill-trident-z5-ddr5-6000-memory/15/

The platform is also much newer, DDR5, PCIE-v5, upgade path to 24 core processors (13900k) which will be drop in socket, so no brainer really.

13 watts, in games, no one cares about 13 watts in games. We are talking about productivity workloads here, in that context the 12900K uses a lot more power, 93 watts more.

bKhxJ35.png

Last edited:
Caporegime

It's Dave2150, he isn't missing the point, he's intentional ignoring it to shill Intel.

Soldato
No no no... spend £600 after selling the CPU instead and get the same performance for twice the power consumption, you will save 13 watts during gaming tho. :D

13 watts, in games, no one cares about 13 watts in games. We are talking about productivity workloads here, in that context the 12900K uses a lot more power, 93 watts more.

bKhxJ35.png

You'd be surprised how many people buy CPU's to play games. Power efficiency while gaming is important to many. This makes the 12900k, 5800X3D the best Gaming CPU's IMO. 12900k for those that need > 8 cores (for other software) and 5800X3D for those happy with 8 cores.

Soldato
I'll see your 5950X in games and raise you a 5800X3D;) Looks like there's plenty of choices out there without the hassle of dismantling your system and reinstalling your OS.

Caporegime
You'd be surprised how many people buy CPU's to play games. Power efficiency while gaming is important to many. This makes the 12900k, 5800X3D the best Gaming CPU's IMO. 12900k for those that need > 8 cores (for other software) and 5800X3D for those happy with 8 cores.
You've inserted something irrelevant to our conversation to change the framing, we are not talking about games we are talking about productivity workloads and in that the 5950X is by far the most efficient CPU.

Would you also be suggesting he buy the 12900K (£50 more expensive) and a new motherboard (£200+) to get similar performance at twice the power consumption? Because THAT is the question here.

Soldato
If I was into productivity and also did some gaming on the side I'd have gone for the 5950X. Again, why have the hassle of building a new system if you have an AM4 board already. Building from scratch, you'd have to think about it, but TBH I wouldn't buy anything right now unless I really had to.

Soldato
I'll see your 5950X in games and raise you a 5800X3D;) Looks like there's plenty of choices out there without the hassle of dismantling your system and reinstalling your OS.

5800X3D would be amazing, if it had more than 8 cores :( Real shame AMD didn't release a 5950X3D, as this would be an excellent product.

Caporegime
5800X3D would be amazing, if it had more than 8 cores :( Real shame AMD didn't release a 5950X3D, as this would be an excellent product.

As a gaming / productivity hybrid yeah, then people didn't have to chose between one or the other.

Having said that its not as if the 5950X is a bad gaming CPU, if people are primarily looking for a productivity CPU with some gaming on the side the 5950X is still a very potent CPU for both, its just not "the best for gaming"

Soldato
Given the lack of >8 cores in the hands of gamers I can't see many developers spending time optimising for more cores. By the time that's needed we'll have all moved on.

Caporegime
As @LtMatt as frequently told us, there are many games using > 8 cores, that the 5950X (or 12th gen i7, i9) annihilates the 5800X3D in, simply because it lacks the cores for highly multi-threaded games.
Where did I say that, got a link?

Football Manager is the only game I know of that is slightly faster on the 5950X and can make use of as many cores as you throw at it.

Warzone can use up to 16 threads lightly, but you see better in game performance but making the game use 8.

The 5800X3D is noticeably faster than my 5950X in Warzone too.

Caporegime
Given the lack of >8 cores in the hands of gamers I can't see many developers spending time optimising for more cores. By the time that's needed we'll have all moved on.

I'll agree with that, modern API's, espesially Vulkan can easily load a 12900K / 5950X up fully, even way beyond that.

Its not as if this doesn't matter, it really does, with all the headroom those extra cores give you you can make games with more AI, more Physics, more drawcalls, all this adds up to more expensive better games.

Soldato
I'll agree with that, modern API's, espesially Vulkan can easily load a 12900K / 5950X up fully, even way beyond that.

Its not as if this doesn't matter, it really does, with all the headroom those extra cores give you you can make games with more AI, More Physics, more drawcalls, all this adds up to more expensive better games.
If I was a CPU manufacturer I'd throw some cash at a next gen "Crisis" to drive sales of higher core count CPU's ;)

Caporegime
If I was a CPU manufacturer I'd throw some cash at a next gen "Crisis" to drive sales of higher core count CPU's ;)

There are one or two games that can push these very high core count CPU's hard, one has the potential to bring these CPU's to their knees as they move to their own custom API and Vulkan, it is also IMO an example of what you can do when you're building games for PC and not consoles.

Soldato
Where did I say that, got a link?

Football Manager is the only game I know of that is slightly faster on the 5950X and can make use of as many cores as you throw at it.

Warzone can use up to 16 threads lightly, but you see better in game performance but making the game use 8.

The 5800X3D is noticeably faster than my 5950X in Warzone too.

Not got time to go find your post, though you just mentioned the name of one of the games, Football Manager! This was the game you were harping on about in the post I mentioned.

Not much further to add, a 5950X3D would have been amazing, 5800X3D is just not an option for many that need > 8 cores, be it for games or for productivity.

Associate

It would suck.

No faster than what the 5800X3D is in games and it would be slower than the standard 5950X in productivity outside of the few niche compute workloads that love cache.

It would also be £800 or so making it worse than the 12900K for 'best of both' builders.

Back
Top Bottom