• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
Soldato
Party may be over?

AMd shares down 10% today after investment bank Barclays put a downgrade on the stock and lowered its price target by 22%

Associate
Party may be over?

AMd shares down 10% today after investment bank Barclays put a downgrade on the stock and lowered its price target by 22%

Are you kidding me?
Investing "gurus" have never had any idea what is happening in tech sector. Never. Then you have Wall Street crackpots. Good time to buy

Soldato
Are you kidding me?
Investing "gurus" have never had any idea what is happening in tech sector. Never. Then you have Wall Street crackpots. Good time to buy

It's not just amd, they also downgraded dell and HP and some other tech companies

the downgrades are because they forecasting pc hardware sales to soon drop off from its highs last year and they also expect to Intel's x86 and Nvidias ARM offerings to put a spanner in the works on the CPU front

Soldato
It's not just amd, they also downgraded dell and HP and some other tech companies

the downgrades are because they forecasting pc hardware sales to soon drop off from its highs last year and they also expect to Intel's x86 and Nvidias ARM offerings to put a spanner in the works on the CPU front

Makes sense to downgrade the likes of Dell and HP. But AMD will continue to sell everything the can make this year.

Caporegime
OP
Q1 2022 Financial results.

AMD beats expectations by $300 Million.

Revenue: $5.887 Billion, up 71% Y/Y, up 22% Q/Q
Gross Profit: $2.18 Billion, up 78% Y/Y, up 18% Q/Q
Operating expenses: $1.95 Billion , up 110% Y/Y, up 59% Q/Q
Operating income: 0.951 Billion, up 44% Y/Y, down 21% Q/Q

AMD's revenue has increased significantly Y/Y and Q/Q due to strong Data-centre demand, Operating expenses have also increased greatly due to Xilinx Acquisition costs, that has resulted in 21% less operating income for this quarter.

For the second Quarter AMD are expected to generate revenues of $6.5 Billion through Data-centre growth.

Full year 2022 AMD is expected to generate $26.3 Billion in revenue, this compared with $16.4 Billion full year 2021, an increase of $9.9 Billion.
By 2021 Chip designer by revenue rankings this would put AMD #5, up from #10 and ahead of Nvidia, tho they are also expected to grow in 2022 so probably not.
Still, AMD are growing from strength to strength, Intel's 2021 revenue was $79 Billion. Samsung $81 Billion and Nvidia $26 Billion.

Soldato
AMD is beating expectations for several quarters in a row. Maybe time for analysts to come up with better expectations :cry:

I suspect they'll get another credit rating upgrade later this year as well.

Soldato
AMD is beating expectations for several quarters in a row. Maybe time for analysts to come up with better expectations :cry:

I suspect they'll get another credit rating upgrade later this year as well.
Yes they are still small relatively speaking but do seem to be steadily growing and their technologies are impressive.

Soldato
Good results fo sho. I had a little dabble and bought some more stock before results yesterday, figuring we've probably had about all the bad news we can have about semiconductor supply.

A few more trades like this and I might be able to upgrade my GPU :D

Caporegime
OP
Yes they are still small relatively speaking but do seem to be steadily growing and their technologies are impressive.

I don't think they are, going by 2021 revenue rankings this is where AMD would land today.

Chip designers in perspective year 2021.

#1 Samsung: $81.3 Billion
#2 Intel: $79 Billion
#3 SK Hynix: 37.1 Billion
#4 Micron: $30 Billion
#5 Qualcomm: $29.2 Billion
#6 Advanced Micro Devices: $26.3 Billion
#6 Nvidia: $26 Billion
#7 Broadcom: $20.9 Billion
#8 Texas Instruments: $18.3 Billion
#9 MediaTech: $17.7 Billion
#10 Advanced Micro Devices: $16.4 Billion (Actual 2021)
#11 Apple: $15.1 Billion
#12 Infineon: $13.5 Billion
#13 Kioxia: $13.4 Billion
#14 ST: 12.8 Billion
#15 NXP $11 Billion

If AMD keep growing at the rate they have been they will overtake Qualcomm and Micron to land behind #3 SK Hynix and #2 Intel in 2023. AMD are the fastest growing semiconductor, and by a long way.
Being around where Nvidia are i don't think we can say AMD are relatively small.

Soldato
I don't think they are, going by 2021 revenue rankings this is where AMD would land today.

Chip designers in perspective year 2021.

#1 Samsung: $81.3 Billion
#2 Intel: $79 Billion
#3 SK Hynix: 37.1 Billion
#4 Micron: $30 Billion
#5 Qualcomm: $29.2 Billion
#6 Advanced Micro Devices: $26.3 Billion
#6 Nvidia: $26 Billion
#7 Broadcom: $20.9 Billion
#8 Texas Instruments: $18.3 Billion
#9 MediaTech: $17.7 Billion
#10 Advanced Micro Devices: $16.4 Billion (Actual 2021)
#11 Apple: $15.1 Billion
#12 Infineon: $13.5 Billion
#13 Kioxia: $13.4 Billion
#14 ST: 12.8 Billion
#15 NXP $11 Billion

If AMD keep growing at the rate they have been they will overtake Qualcomm and Micron to land behind #3 SK Hynix and #2 Intel in 2023. AMD are the fastest growing semiconductor, and by a long way.
Being around where Nvidia are i don't think we can say AMD are relatively small.
By relatively I should have qualified, relative to their two main rivals Intel and Nvidia (Nvidia has similar revenue but all in GPU-ish), whose market share they will need to take to match them. Great job so far but still some way to go bearing in mind they are fighting on two fronts. As you say rate of growth is impressive.

Caporegime
OP
By relatively I should have qualified, relative to their two main rivals Intel and Nvidia (Nvidia has similar revenue but all in GPU-ish), whose market share they will need to take to match them. Great job so far but still some way to go bearing in mind they are fighting on two fronts. As you say rate of growth is impressive.

Fair enough, i would be interested to see Intel's financials next, it seems to me increasingly AMD are pushing Intel out of data-centre, that's where all of AMD's growth is from and their gain must be someone's loss.

Back
Top Bottom