• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
Fair enough, i would be interested to see Intel's financials next, it seems to me increasingly AMD are pushing Intel out of data-centre, that's where all of AMD's growth is from and their gain must be someone's loss.

Intel is losing market share but not total market as datacentre market is growing very rapidly (expecting to quadruple by 2030). Intel reported earnings last week, while overall revenues were down 7%, their datacentre revenues were up 22%. Although most of this would likely be replacing Intel's own older chips rather than expanding their install base.

AMD leads in all key datacentre metrics, perf/W, perf/sqm, perf/$ and has x86 so most clients are able to switch from Intel to AMD infrastructure with minimal efforts. AMD is the obvious choice for expanding capacity at datacentres.

Caporegime
OP
Intel is losing market share but not total market as datacentre market is growing very rapidly (expecting to quadruple by 2030). Intel reported earnings last week, while overall revenues were down 7%, their datacentre revenues were up 22%. Although most of this would likely be replacing Intel's own older chips rather than expanding their install base.

AMD leads in all key datacentre metrics, perf/W, perf/sqm, perf/$ and has x86 so most clients are able to switch from Intel to AMD infrastructure with minimal efforts. AMD is the obvious choice for expanding capacity at datacentres.
Margins are also down another 3.2 percentage points, from 53.6% Q4 2021 to 50.4% this quarter.

Intel's 2017 margins were 65%, they have been falling ever since and that trend continues.

Soldato
Margins are also down another 3.2 percentage points, from 53.6% Q4 2021 to 50.4% this quarter.

Intel's 2017 margins were 65%, they have been falling ever since and that trend continues.
They have competitors now, they can't just charge extortionate prices anymore. And since they're behind in actual microarchitecture/IP, they have no choice but to compete for value. If they go on with their plans to go to TSMC's N5 next year, their margins will likely drop even further.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
AMD is still doing well selling about 2 CPU's for every Intel CPU at Mindfactory but it will be very interesting to see what happens when the next gen CPU's hits the market.
642337.png

Caporegime
OP
AMD is still doing well selling about 2 CPU's for every Intel CPU at Mindfactory but it will be very interesting to see what happens when the next gen CPU's hits the market.
642337.png

Its interesting looking a bit deeper in to that, Intel's best selling CPU is the 12400F, one of the cheapest in the lineup, the 12700K is doing quite well too but AMD are selling about 2X as many 5900X.

Intel have indeed regained a significant share of the market but its not with the expensive ones. just selling a bunch of CPU's is nice and all, but Tesco sell a lot of cheap baked beans, i'm sure they would like to be selling a lot more Heinz, but that's another story :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Its interesting looking a bit deeper in to that, Intel's best selling CPU is the 12400F, one of the cheapest in the lineup, the 12700K is doing quite well too but AMD are selling about 2X as many 5900X.

Intel have indeed regained a significant share of the market but it not with the expensive ones. just selling a bunch of CPU's is nice and all, but Tesco sell a lot of cheap baked beans, i'm sure they would like to be selling a lot more Heinz, but that's another story :D
Good example of expensive branded items not always being the best. Brands evolved to guarantee a level of quality but now seem to be being used to sell poor quality to the unthinking. Amazing how much money can be saved by just looking into what you're buying and not just the label, and often getting something better too!

Caporegime
OP
Good example of expensive branded items not always being the best. Brands evolved to guarantee a level of quality but now seem to be being used to sell poor quality to the unthinking. Amazing how much money can be saved by just looking into what you're buying and not just the label, and often getting something better too!

That works any which way, despite all my messing about i do actually think the 12700K is a damned good CPU and it is worth the money, it just has one problem. its not the best. Nothing from Intel is.

Associate
That works any which way, despite all my messing about i do actually think the 12700K is a damned good CPU and it is worth the money, it just has one problem. its not the best. Nothing from Intel is.
That's a quite strong statement, Humbug.
While I have some doubts myself about their hybrid architecture, 12700k reviews have been pretty positive: What would you suggest at the same MSRP instead?

Soldato
The 5800X3D is some chip. It can plug into a six year old motherboard and be used with potato grade memory. You don't even need to use it in dual channel memory and still get superb performance. :cry:

Silly benchmarking one stock of ram but yes the worse your ram is the bigger the difference is compared to small cache cpu because the more cache on the cpu the less the cpu needs to engage with the ram. This isn't a new finding we've known this for months already

Soldato
So have Nvidia, and lots of tech stocks.
I work it out as 52% loss for AMD from ATH and intel has lost 47% since their high.

Nvidia has lost 56%!

You would think an anti-AMD troll would do some actual research before making stupid posts.

Even Apple have dropped share price significantly in the past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom