Takeaway / fast food general discussion

Soldato
Thread for general takeaway / fast food discussion so as not to pollute the voucher thread.

Was in Five Guys today and noticed they’d put the soft drink prices up to £3.75!! Now I didn’t intend to buy one anyway as they were already expensive but I do think that’s an excessive price.

Granted they are refillable but I think a large proportion of people won’t have more than 2 drinks unless they’re with a large group and are there for ages. I know kids lark around with the machines a bit but they tend to not fully fill their cup so they can try the different flavours.

Soldato
OP
5 guys has always been a rip off. £17 for a fast food burger, fries and milkshake. Daylight robbery.
It has but at least you know it’s fairly consistent quality. However, it is basically the same price for a burger in a “proper” restaurant where I live.

Managed to only spend £12 today.

Soldato
There's nothing stopping you from sharing 1 cup with the whole family and just refill as & when you need even though I'd say the price is fair for what it is

Caporegime
Thread for general takeaway / fast food discussion so as not to pollute the voucher thread.

Was in Five Guys today and noticed they’d put the soft drink prices up to £3.75!! Now I didn’t intend to buy one anyway as they were already expensive but I do think that’s an excessive price.

Granted they are refillable but I think a large proportion of people won’t have more than 2 drinks unless they’re with a large group and are there for ages. I know kids lark around with the machines a bit but they tend to not fully fill their cup so they can try the different flavours.
Font size changes my own but I'm failing to see your outrage. You're angry about something you weren't going to buy anyway and then add that it's probably reasonable in what is likely often-occurring circumstances. Just ... don't go there again? (unless you're with a large group and are there for ages)

Soldato
OP
Font size changes my own but I'm failing to see your outrage. You're angry about something you weren't going to buy anyway and then add that it's probably reasonable in what is likely often-occurring circumstances. Just ... don't go there again? (unless you're with a large group and are there for ages)
Who says I’m angry? Surprised was more like it.

Caporegime
OK, you're surprised. I'm failing to see your suprise. You're suprised about something you weren't going to buy anyway and then add that it's probably reasonable in what is likely often-occurring circumstances. Just ... don't go there again? (unless you're with a large group and are there for ages)

Caporegime
Yeah that does seem excessive, do they have an option for a non-refillable drink instead? I’d be surprised at £3.75 for a soft drink in a burger/fast food place too.

In the US it’s quite typical for fast food places and cheap chain restaurants to offer refills on drinks as standard, it’s not really a great justification for the price. These drinks are mixed on site in the machine, they just get syrup from the drinks company, it’s probs a big margin for them.

Soldato

5 Guys got me in trouble at work once.

One of the younger women, meaning the fast food place, said "oooh I can't wait to get 5 Guys inside me later" to which I replied with "betcha can't you dutty tramp". She found it funny but the office simp went running to management and I got a stern telling off.

Yeah that does seem excessive, do they have an option for a non-refillable drink instead? I’d be surprised at £3.75 for a soft drink in a burger/fast food place too.

In the US it’s quite typical for fast food places and cheap chain restaurants to offer refills on drinks as standard, it’s not really a great justification for the price. These drinks are mixed on site in the machine, they just get syrup from the drinks company, it’s probs a big margin for them.

Drinks have a massive margin on them. Whilst at Uni I did the staple thing of working for McDonalds. I got to know quite a bit about costings an such.

Back then a large soft drink cost £1.29. Total cost to business inc cup, lid, straw, labour and product was around 3.7p. The item that had the lowest cost/profit ratio, foodwise was the cheese slices. Non-food was the happy meal toy as those were sold pretty much at cost (99p). Happy Meals were generally a loss but usually you'd have one or more adults dining on the same order so it'd bring it back into profit.

Soldato
Had 5 guys 2-3 times, decent but nothing special. Not the kind of place I like to hang around in, grab some scran and go so I wouldn’t be refilling the drink, so for me that is expensive.

I didn't realise Five Guys was a chain. The only place I've see one was in Disneyland Paris, so I thought it was a one-off diner like with Annette's Diner and Casey's Corner.

For an American diner in the UK, I recommend Ed's Diner in Selfridge's in the Birmingham Bull Ring. £15 for burger, fries and a refillable drink.

Any other Staffordians about - then the Market Vaults in Stafford.

Associate
Only had a 5 guys burger once, in Liverpool, i found it a greasy mess and overpriced.
That was 3 years ago and I've not stepped foot in another one since.

Then again i find food quality and price better in a dixie's than in bk, md's or kfc.

Back
Top Bottom