When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Why crazy. It’s a proper car that’s also EV.

Remember 150kW charging etc are all peak numbers. The charging profile is more interesting.
Not sure looking at the charging profile vs say an EV6 is going to make that any better as a comparison tbh.

If you do a lot of longer distance driving then it could be a problem. Expect 45 minutes from 10% - 80% and the charging speed will be quite poor above 80%. So in essence you have a 170 mile motorway range after the first leg. Though this is true of most EVs but most will give more miles per minute than the I-Pace due to the better efficiency. A Model Y for example will take about 27 - 30 minutes to add about 190 miles of range. An I-Pace will take about 45 minutes to add 150 miles. Both times are assuming decent weather and temperatures because many EVs suffer from coldgating. Add another 20 minutes, or even treble the total these times in cold wet winter weather. This means charging in colder weather can significantly impact charging times.

An extreme example is the Ioniq 5 or EV6 giving 18 minutes to charge from 10% - 80% in perfect conditions. In winter conditions I have seen some charging tests take well over an hour on the same cars.

Don't just look at the time it takes but the range it adds per minute and how the charging curve looks over the entire range and in different seasons.

If you do mostly normal commutes and drives, the I-Pace is a perfect car. I have an I-Pace on order but it fits my driving profile perfectly as I rarely drive more than 200 miles.
Some good points here. TBF I think it would be fine in Summer but Winter range worries me a bit too much. We do quite regular day trips from Guildford to say Cambridge and back, Dorset and back, Midlands and back. It would be nice to be able to do those without a pit stop if possible.

EV6 is the next best alternative but the EV6 and Ioniq 5 boots are just that bit smaller which is putting me off. iX3 might tick all the boxes (150kW charging and enough space for a family trip) but not sure of the looks.

Reality is probably will hold onto the diesel (a 67 plate but which I only bought at the start of the year lol) for the rarer long journeys for a couple of years and try and get around as much as we can in the e208. But I'd love to go all electric and the growing charger networks are giving me confidence that it'll be a non-issue within about 12 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ll use my Honda for one of those 800mile non stop trips. :cry:

i never charge IPACE above 70% Rapid charging for this reason. I remember being next to a Etron at a Shell recharger. The amount at the end to fill it with fairly comical range did even the score a little. That’s said in 5 years I bet the range gap grows further from the etron being DC thrashed

Soldato
We officially went all electric today after selling our second ICE car and we are not going to replace it. As much as it pained my wife to sell a car she has loved to dive for the last 7 years, owning it just didn't make any sense anymore and it was better to let it go to someone who was actually going to drive it.

Soldato
We officially went all electric today after selling our second ICE car and we are not going to replace it. As much as it pained my wife to sell a car she has loved to dive for the last 7 years, owning it just didn't make any sense anymore and it was better to let it go to someone who was actually going to drive it.
One car household then? What is it you have? :)

Caporegime
Would be interested in why 150kW is a big issue. Most people never need one. On the rare occasion you do you only gonna be charging to 80% before it’s an issue anyway

Soldato
Care to share any examples?

Something like this: https://used.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-39b1abcd4b7dc9ad9c1fd79b1a4e73108877cefc?vehicle=164224&category=12

Retail is £4k over the WBAC valuation but there's a £3.8k deposit allowance (obviously settle the finance, don't want to be paying 10% APR) so it's close to trade price. I'd bet you can get a few grand off as well since it's been listed since Jan

Soldato
Would be interested in why 150kW is a big issue. Most people never need one. On the rare occasion you do you only gonna be charging to 80% before it’s an issue anyway
A 45 minute stop vs a 20 minute stop is a decent difference if you're rushing to get home with impatient kids. 'Rare' depends on your journey profile doesn't it?

Caporegime
Well yes. Was kind of wondering how often you do 200miles without stopping ( especially with kids anyway)

Not sure how 150kW is less than half the charging time of 100kW either but do you really need a full charge or just a 10min stop for that extra 50miles ?

Soldato
A 45 minute stop vs a 20 minute stop is a decent difference if you're rushing to get home with impatient kids. 'Rare' depends on your journey profile doesn't it?
100 compared to 150 does not give the time delta you are predicting! The Hyundais seem really struggle to get above 100kW during winter anyway.

Over 250miles with kids in is rare in 99.9% of peoples lives. Rushing with kids in a car. Tut tut :p

20k in mine, brilliant car and over the moon I’ve been renewed on Octopus Go for another year at 5.5p. Who cares about efficiency now :cry:

Soldato
Well yes. Was kind of wondering how often you do 200miles without stopping ( especially with kids anyway)

Not sure how 150kW is less than half the charging time of 100kW either but do you really need a full charge or just a 10min stop for that extra 50miles ?
Just to give you one example, we are driving to Nantes this summer for a 2 week holiday. Ferry is Newhaven - Dieppe so another 500km after we get off the ferry. Obviously that will be the extreme use case but would love to be able to do those kinds of trips in an EV eventually.

I Pace doesn't actually charge at 100kW for very long and doesn't preheat the battery. Stops could be shorter than that but they could also be longer. A Tesla going to a Supercharger will avoid that lottery. Having said all that I'm never giving Elon Musk any of my money :p

Soldato
100 compared to 150 does not give the time delta you are predicting! The Hyundais seem really struggle to get above 100kW during winter anyway.

Over 250miles with kids in is rare in 99.9% of peoples lives. Rushing with kids in a car. Tut tut :p

20k in mine, brilliant car and over the moon I’ve been renewed on Octopus Go for another year at 5.5p. Who cares about efficiency now :cry:
I'd love to make it work, and I'm sure it would be fine 90% of the time. It's that 10% where people get tired and grumpy that I worry about.

It's not 250 motorway miles at 70mph in Winter, more like 170-180 and I'm thinking of day trips where most destinations don't have charging yet. We'd end up having to do a stop somewhere on top of a 1.5-2 hour hourney each way to see the in laws in Cambridge for example which would be a PITA. Having said that the supercharger station in Cambridge just opened to all brands...

Soldato
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the KW speed of the charger anyway. It doesn’t take into account efficiency so it’s only partly. What really matters is how much real range you get for the time you are plugged in.

That’s often not an easy question to answer as there are a lot of variability depending on the cars charging curve, battery temperature and the charger you are plugged into. On paper my Model 3 SR+ is a bit slow on paper but it’s efficiency actually makes adding 100 miles to a relatively low battery is very fast indeed.

Depending on the car there can also be some viability to the charging curve too. The BMS in my Model 3 seems to be happy to take a faster charge when initially plugging in at 50% than what you would get at 50% if initially plugging in at 10%.

Soldato
I'd love to make it work, and I'm sure it would be fine 90% of the time. It's that 10% where people get tired and grumpy that I worry about.

It's not 250 motorway miles at 70mph in Winter, more like 170-180 and I'm thinking of day trips where most destinations don't have charging yet. We'd end up having to do a stop somewhere on top of a 1.5-2 hour hourney each way to see the in laws in Cambridge for example which would be a PITA. Having said that the supercharger station in Cambridge just opened to all brands...
Agree, but I would argue its more like 200 miles in winter; I did Edinburgh city (Brittania) to MFG Wigan in October non stop. But can we just check something…

You, who doesn’t have an IPACE yet is telling someone who has had an IPACE for 18months as part of their role in JLR engineering team how the car works? :D :p

Soldato
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the KW speed of the charger anyway. It doesn’t take into account efficiency so it’s only partly. What really matters is how much real range you get for the time you are plugged in.

Hence why I still love my Ioniq even though it's max charging rate with a warm pack is only 42-47kW, and then it drops down to the mid-30's from about 47%, as it is so darn efficient you can still go a good distance with a small amount of charging time thrown in when you do a pit stop rather than a full-on lunch break or similar.

Soldato

That’s often not an easy question to answer as there are a lot of variability depending on the cars charging curve, battery temperature and the charger you are plugged into. On paper my Model 3 SR+ is a bit slow on paper but it’s efficiency actually makes adding 100 miles to a relatively low battery is very fast indeed.

Depending on the car there can also be some viability to the charging curve too. The BMS in my Model 3 seems to be happy to take a faster charge when initially plugging in at 50% than what you would get at 50% if initially plugging in at 10%.

I've only been driving an EV (E-Tron 50) for about 20 months but in that period I have come to understand the actual important metrics of EV ownership.

Peak charging speed means nothing if it lasts for 5 minutes and coldgates substantially in winter.
How far will you get at 100% SoC in different driving conditions and trip types.
How long does it take to add 50, 100, 150 or even 200 miles at various rapid chargers in different seasons.
You only need to add what charge you need to finish your trip.

None of the above matters if you charge at home and 99% of your trips are short school runs and or commutes. I will not instantly dismiss an EV because it means I have to hang around a charging station for an extra 30 minutes once or twice a year.

Soldato
Agree, but I would argue its more like 200 miles in winter; I did Edinburgh city (Brittania) to MFG Wigan in October non stop. But can we just check something…

You, who doesn’t have an IPACE yet is telling someone who has had an IPACE for 18months as part of their role in JLR engineering team how the car works? :D :p
That's how the internet works right? :D Someone always knows best ;)

We can both agree it wouldn't be 250 anyway. And I'm still tempted but will have to get this French road trip out of the way before I can decide what to do about transitioning away from ICE ownership.

Back
Top Bottom