Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2022, Barcelona - Race 6

Rate the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It's another reason why tracks used for testing should not be used for racing. They just have too much information.

Unless you have 18 brand new tracks every year, that will always be the case.
One maybe two races at any track and you have every bit of info needed

Man of Honour
Unless you have 18 brand new tracks every year, that will always be the case.
One maybe two races at any track and you have every bit of info needed
Until they change the surface over the winter or the tyre compounds change or there is changes to the track layout or maybe.... something along the lines of a massive car change?

Institutional knowledge isn't necessarily good knowledge. I'd love to see someone stick last years setup on this years car. Just the change to ground effect (ish) and the 18" wheels would make it interesting.

Soldato
Merc looking in slightly better shape but still a way off where they need to be.

Think we've had enough races as a sample now though to believe that Russell is maybe getting the better of Lewis in these cars.

Soldato
Merc looking in slightly better shape but still a way off where they need to be.
Indeed, but I think the important bit here is that they solve the porpoising, and unless it's a freak occurrence, it does indeed look like they've got much more of a handle on it, with the car running visibly lower too.

If that is the case, they can start focussing more on bringing performance to the car rather than just chasing their tail data gathering.

Soldato
Just watched the highlights on YT. Bit more like it from Merc, pleased with Haas as well. I hope RB sort out their reliability issues and Merc can join Ferrari and RB so we can have three teams fighting for wins.

Soldato
I rather think the track characteristics actually reduces porpoising from all the cars as it has shorter straights. Certainly I can't see much from from any car as we've seen before so I think we need to see what the Mercedes is doing at other tracks before reaching a conclusion...

Caporegime

Think we've had enough races as a sample now though to believe that Russell is maybe getting the better of Lewis in these cars.

?

It is 3-3 in qualy and Ham's race pace has been on the whole better (hes just had terrible luck).

What are you basing him getting the better of Lewis on?

Caporegime
Not as good from Merc as i was expecting.

Bottas was only a tenth behind Hamilton and Magnussesn in the Haas was only a tenth and a half behind.

I still think that Ferrari engine has some secret sauce come Qualy...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
?

It is 3-3 in qualy and Ham's race pace has been on the whole better (hes just had terrible luck).

What are you basing him getting the better of Lewis on?

I suspect @Psycho Ned is basing it on 59 points versus 36. And while I agree with you that Lewis' points tally doesn't tell the whole story it remains the case that George has more points than he does.

Caporegime
I suspect @Psycho Ned is basing it on 59 points versus 36. And while I agree with you that Lewis' points tally doesn't tell the whole story it remains the case that George has more points than he does.

Well, ok. He is getting the better of Lewis in these cars, because the safety car timing has fallen in his favour almost every race.

That doesn't seem like a very logical bit of data to base anything on (espeically not for an F1 team)

Luck aside, they are clearly showing they are quite close to each other in terms of talent/pace at the moment. This shouldnt really be a surprise to anyone as George has been touted as one of the next big young talents (like Leclerc, Norris etc). Merc signed him to no doubt hopefully be their no.1 in the future.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well, ok. He is getting the better of Lewis in these cars, because the safety car timing has fallen in his favour almost every race.

That doesn't seem like a very logical bit of data to base anything on (espeically not for an F1 team)

Luck aside, they are clearly showing they are quite close to each other in terms of talent/pace at the moment. This shouldnt really be a surprise to anyone as George has been touted as one of the next big young talents (like Leclerc, Norris etc). Merc signed him to no doubt hopefully be their no.1 in the future.

What would you like to base the championship on if not points? ;):D

Soldato
Not as good from Merc as i was expecting.

Bottas was only a tenth behind Hamilton and Magnussesn in the Haas was only a tenth and a half behind.

I still think that Ferrari engine has some secret sauce come Qualy...
The thing is they're a long way down the list of straight line speeds
Looking at the list, merc could afford to add a bit more downforce.

Caporegime

What would you like to base the championship on if not points? ;):D

We aren't talking about what you would base the championship on though are we?

Do you think Red Bull suddenly thought Perez was getting the better of Max because he was ahead of him in the standings for a bit earlier in the year?

Caporegime
The thing is they're a long way down the list of straight line speeds
Looking at the list, merc could afford to add a bit more downforce.
If you want higher straight line speed, you need to reduce downforce.
Higher Downforce = incresed drag = slower straight line speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom