Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
There's also the 18W vs 23W charging, as well as the 6a having no wireless charging. Apart from that, if you don't mind those differences, 6a looks like a decent "compact" option. But that price drop does make the 6 an absolute bargain.
Are we forgetting the massive difference in main camera sensor.

Soldato
Are we forgetting the massive difference in main camera sensor.
Whoops! Yeah same camera sensor as the 5 and before. Although to be fair with the current camera algorithms, it's a bit more optimised for that than the large sensors on the 6. I have been noticing more often how some photos look over processed. Still good, but still room for improvement.

Soldato
Whoops! Yeah same camera sensor as the 5 and before. Although to be fair with the current camera algorithms, it's a bit more optimised for that than the large sensors on the 6. I have been noticing more often how some photos look over processed. Still good, but still room for improvement.
That was true on release.

However, after the recent updates the gains are clear especially in challenging situations. And only getting better.

Soldato
That was true on release.

However, after the recent updates the gains are clear especially in challenging situations. And only getting better.
It's definitely getting better. But I do notice there's still the odd shots that needs a little tweaking. Having a look the main and wide camera sensors photos are fine, it seems to be the telephoto one that seems to be lagging behind a bit.

Soldato
It's definitely getting better. But I do notice there's still the odd shots that needs a little tweaking. Having a look the main and wide camera sensors photos are fine, it seems to be the telephoto one that seems to be lagging behind a bit.
The telephoto is pretty great tbh. A solid sensor vs other phones.

Though as will all tele's they need a decent amount of light. Due to aperture.

Soldato
Wait I'm being an idiot, just checked and telephoto lens doesn't kick in until 7x zoom. Did a test shot and yeah it looks great. So that explains why some looks a bit off, it's the digital zoom on the main lens :cry:.

I'm too used to my previous phone where it used to kick in at 3x.

Soldato
Wait I'm being an idiot, just checked and telephoto lens doesn't kick in until 7x zoom. Did a test shot and yeah it looks great. So that explains why some looks a bit off, it's the digital zoom on the main lens :cry:.

I'm too used to my previous phone where it used to kick in at 3x.

:cry:

Still odd that it didn't switch itself @ 4x. Now you know ha.

Associate
Tempted by the Pixel 6 as my Pixel 2 is a bit flaky now (battery life is horrible and occasionally it freezes). The Pixel 6 looks huge compared to the 2 though and it's making me unsure. It seems finding a modern equivalent of a phone as small as the Pixel 2 is challenging though... (and I do like the Pixel's implementation of android).

Soldato
Tempted by the Pixel 6 as my Pixel 2 is a bit flaky now (battery life is horrible and occasionally it freezes). The Pixel 6 looks huge compared to the 2 though and it's making me unsure. It seems finding a modern equivalent of a phone as small as the Pixel 2 is challenging though... (and I do like the Pixel's implementation of android).
6a is for you

Associate
6a is for you
That is what I was thinking, but with the Blue Light card bringing the 6 down to £480, the 6 perhaps seems like better value in terms of specs and might have a bit more longevity since I tend to keep phones for years (hence still having a p2!). The slightly smaller size of the 6a is quite appealing though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That is what I was thinking, but with the Blue Light card bringing the 6 down to £480, the 6 perhaps seems like better value in terms of specs and might have a bit more longevity since I tend to keep phones for years (hence still having a p2!). The slightly smaller size of the 6a is quite appealing though.

You'd probably get used to the size of the 6. I'm not keen on the 6a purely because it has camera hardware from the Pixel 2!

Associate
Yeah, I had wondered how much of an upgrade the camera on the 6a will be over the 2. Presumably the image processing will be better, but can't imagine it being substantially better overall. I quite want wireless charging too, I said I'd never get another phone without it. Essentially it seems to be boiling down to I need a new phone, but I am stalling because I don't want to spend the money!

Soldato
Yeah, I had wondered how much of an upgrade the camera on the 6a will be over the 2. Presumably the image processing will be better, but can't imagine it being substantially better overall. I quite want wireless charging too, I said I'd never get another phone without it. Essentially it seems to be boiling down to I need a new phone, but I am stalling because I don't want to spend the money!
You're best bet is to order the 6 from Google and try it out. Return if need be. I'm sure you'll warm to the size.

Associate
Yeah, I'd probably get used to the size. The difference probably isn't as big as the screen sizes suggest (5" to 6.4"?), since the Pixel 2 has a lot of space above and below the screen.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Gone with a Sorta Seafoam Pixel 6 from John Lewis, with a code it comes out at £484. Feel more comfortable having 2 years of JL warranty in additional to Google.

Need to decide on a case, any recommendations?

The "new - unused" Pixel 6 I got from eBay for £400 had multiple scratches on the screen so I've raised a case to return it. Bloody hate eBay.

Man of Honour
Gone with a Sorta Seafoam Pixel 6 from John Lewis, with a code it comes out at £484. Feel more comfortable having 2 years of JL warranty in additional to Google.

Need to decide on a case, any recommendations?

The "new - unused" Pixel 6 I got from eBay for £400 had multiple scratches on the screen so I've raised a case to return it. Bloody hate eBay.
If you want to go premium I've developed a slightly unhealthy love for my Bellroy leather case. A really nice feeling case which has now probably converted me from the cheap plastic cases I've used for the last decade.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
If you want to go premium I've developed a slightly unhealthy love for my Bellroy leather case. A really nice feeling case which has now probably converted me from the cheap plastic cases I've used for the last decade.
I did see the Bellroy, how’s it holding up? Sometimes the corners can wear quickly from going in and out the pocket with leather. Is it a thicc case?

Man of Honour
I did see the Bellroy, how’s it holding up? Sometimes the corners can wear quickly from going in and out the pocket with leather. Is it a thicc case?
Corners still look brand new after about 5 months. Surprisingly not, it's obviously slightly thicker than something like a Spigen Liquid air but not massively so and I think the feel of it makes it feel thinner than it is if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom