iRacing

Caporegime
Can anyone help me with an issue... I'm desperate.

So, I used to have an iRacing subscription that I paid for through the iRacing site. this all worked fine. I cancelled this approximately 2 years back just due to dwindling interest. Fast forward to yesterday, I've decided to treat myself to a new Fanatec system, so decided I would start iRacing again. I decided to do this through Steam. Made the purchase, downloaded and installed the game, pressed play.... it directed me to the iRacing website to login on there. I did this and it tells me that I have no subscription. Emailed iRacing and they tell me they are 2 separate entities and that the Steam sub is nothing to do with them.

So, does anyone know how I can just get the game to launch in Steam (if that is at all possible)? Apologies if this all sounds stupid, I just don't understand why I cant get the game to launch in Steam, it redirects me to the games website to log in from there yet they claim to have nothing to do with each other..

Thanks in advance.

Surely you have an iRacing I.D? And that's theirs?

Soldato
Can anyone help me with an issue... I'm desperate.

So, I used to have an iRacing subscription that I paid for through the iRacing site. this all worked fine. I cancelled this approximately 2 years back just due to dwindling interest. Fast forward to yesterday, I've decided to treat myself to a new Fanatec system, so decided I would start iRacing again. I decided to do this through Steam. Made the purchase, downloaded and installed the game, pressed play.... it directed me to the iRacing website to login on there. I did this and it tells me that I have no subscription. Emailed iRacing and they tell me they are 2 separate entities and that the Steam sub is nothing to do with them.

So, does anyone know how I can just get the game to launch in Steam (if that is at all possible)? Apologies if this all sounds stupid, I just don't understand why I cant get the game to launch in Steam, it redirects me to the games website to log in from there yet they claim to have nothing to do with each other..

Thanks in advance.
Are you trying to log in with your old details?
I believe it sets you up as a new driver when you purchase through steam and you then log into the website with your steam email/password etc. I think you can then change your steam sub into a 'proper' iracing account but you can't do it the other way? yes it's all quite complicated and stupid, I have no idea why iracing bother to be on steam.

Associate
Surely you have an iRacing I.D? And that's theirs?

I do have an ID, but when I log in to the iRacing website it says my subscription needs renewing. I have linked my account (iRacing have confirmed this) but it still says I have no subscription.

Are you trying to log in with your old details?
I believe it sets you up as a new driver when you purchase through steam and you then log into the website with your steam email/password etc. I think you can then change your steam sub into a 'proper' iracing account but you can't do it the other way? yes it's all quite complicated and stupid, I have no idea why iracing bother to be on steam.

I can only log into iRacing with my email I use for all games. It is the same one for Steam, iRacing etc.

So I originally logged onto Steam (this email is the same as my old iRacing one) bought a subscription, installed. When I first went to launch the game it then tried to log me in to the iRacing website. (should this even happen?). I claimed the Steam key to link accounts, entered this, nothing happened.

Can I ask, do most people on here use iRacing through steam or do they sub through the iRacing website?

Associate
I do have an ID, but when I log in to the iRacing website it says my subscription needs renewing. I have linked my account (iRacing have confirmed this) but it still says I have no subscription.

I can only log into iRacing with my email I use for all games. It is the same one for Steam, iRacing etc.

So I originally logged onto Steam (this email is the same as my old iRacing one) bought a subscription, installed. When I first went to launch the game it then tried to log me in to the iRacing website. (should this even happen?). I claimed the Steam key to link accounts, entered this, nothing happened.

Can I ask, do most people on here use iRacing through steam or do they sub through the iRacing website?

Most people use the website. Not many use Steam. Id swerve Steam, no point using it really unless you're anal about having the amount of hours played being recorded.

Associate
Most people use the website. Not many use Steam. Id swerve Steam, no point using it really unless you're anal about having the amount of hours played being recorded.

Use the website. Large amounts of chatter online about steam integration being an overall negative.

Cheers for the replies. I've raised a ticket for a refund (fingers crossed) and will go the website route. Are there any obvious discounts I may be missing?

Associate
Discounts in iracing? :cry:
(The only discounts they have ever done is 50% off 1/2 year subs)

It's not even that anymore, it's 25%
I'm in 40+ club so that does soften the blow.
Everyway you look it at, it's expensive as hell though, especially starting out now.

Yeah, I'm a little late to the party. The problem I'm having is I want to do some online racing and this seems like it's the busiest community. I've tried Assetto Corsa and whilst I think the game mechanics are great, the online side of things, so far for me, has been bad. Iddiots just clearing people out at turn 1, rejoining the track without a care in the world etc. Also the actual interface is chalked too. Recently found Race Manager though which has improved things.

Where do you guys normally race? Are there any OCUK nights?

Soldato
Yeah, I'm a little late to the party. The problem I'm having is I want to do some online racing and this seems like it's the busiest community. I've tried Assetto Corsa and whilst I think the game mechanics are great, the online side of things, so far for me, has been bad. Iddiots just clearing people out at turn 1, rejoining the track without a care in the world etc. Also the actual interface is chalked too. Recently found Race Manager though which has improved things.

It's the best online racing experience, granted it's a massive premium for that but if your serious about online racing then it's worth it IMO.
Best advice would be to plan the season ahead, buy the car and tracks in bulk to get that multi buy saving.
In 'normal' ranked races you can't really join your friends. (hosted sessions are different) You can sign up for the same race session but if there's too many cars for a single race the splits get sorted by irating. For example with popular series like VRS it's not un common to get 200 + drivers signed up for a single race so that becomes different splits of 6 races of drivers with similar skill.
I'm probably going to be jumping between IMSA and VRS in GT3s this year as I have a season of WGTC (private league) coming up. https://www.worldsimracing.co.uk/

Soldato

Don't get me wrong. I have poured 100s of cuckbucks in to iracing and don't regret it. It is without any doubt the best racing package out there.
Its just expensive, no getting around that, but if actual racing is what you want to do then its set up perfectly for it.

I'm the same as MikeTheNative, I'm just alternating between IMSA and VRS GT3/LMP2 races.
Last season I was just focussing on Porsche Cup but binning that off for a season. I also want to start getting my rank up on Ovals but hard to find the time.

Associate
I don't have too much of an issue putting cash into it, so long as I am rewarded with enjoyment. I think I'll test the waters with a 1 month pass and take it from there. Maybe I'll see one of you guys out on track.... I won't be difficult to spot, I'll be the one waving at the missed apex from a distance.

Soldato
I don't have too much of an issue putting cash into it, so long as I am rewarded with enjoyment. I think I'll test the waters with a 1 month pass and take it from there. Maybe I'll see one of you guys out on track.... I won't be difficult to spot, I'll be the one waving at the missed apex from a distance.
Yeah best thing to do is get a few months, and see if it's for you.
Baring in mind rookies is tough as your with other rookies who vary wildly in skill so expect a number of chaotic races. Higher licenses races sometimes aren't too much better though lol

Soldato
How does iRacing compare to Assetto Corsa?
In what way?
On the face of it. Assetto Corsa is a sandbox to race anything as long as there's a mod but online racing can be a chore.
It's better to compare with ACC, but single player is more rounded on ACC but multiplayer side more on iracing.
If your big into online racing then it might be for you. If your anything but it's not worth it.

Associate
Bought the LMP2 car and the first few tracks for the mixed class championship (I can't remember what its called but it has LMP2s and GT3s in 45 min long races). I only managed 1 race yesterday due to server maintenance and was taken out at in T1 (Towed, got fixed and finished) but still enjoyed myself. The multiclass racing aspect is superb.

Anyway, how does one check if the setup is fixed or modifiable?

Soldato
Bought the LMP2 car and the first few tracks for the mixed class championship (I can't remember what its called but it has LMP2s and GT3s in 45 min long races). I only managed 1 race yesterday due to server maintenance and was taken out at in T1 (Towed, got fixed and finished) but still enjoyed myself. The multiclass racing aspect is superb.

Anyway, how does one check if the setup is fixed or modifiable?
Your on about IMSA. Yes IMSA is really good racing, shame you got taken out as traffic management really adds an extra dimension to races.
The default for races is 'open' which means setups are changeable, if there fixed I believe it appears on the series banner/picture? The series name for the series also tends to end with the prefix - fixed.

Associate
How does iRacing compare to Assetto Corsa?

AC Pros

- Has by far the most content due to all the mods available (its not all consistently good quality though)
- Cheap with a ton of content
- Can be made to look like the best looking racing game on the market via free mods like CCP
- Has road cars, something iracing lacks

AC Negs

- Multiplayer is pretty dead relative to other sims and the stuff that exists is mostly populated by casual racers and slow potatoes.
- Physics and tyre model are a little dated relative to more modern sims, both ACC and iRacing are superior nowadays.
- Not much of an actual game, its mostly good for just driving around on track by yourself due to poor AI

IRacing Pros

- By far the best platform for online racing, nothing else comes close
- Biggest player base by far and is generally taken a lot more 'serious' than other competitors thus the quality of racing is usually superior to what you will find in other sims
- All types of racing covered (Open Wheel, GT, Prototype, Touring Cars, Oval, Dirt etc)
- Has more or less every feature you could ever want from an online racing game such as insanely detailed stat tracking, team racing, leagues, divisions etc etc
- Probably the most polished and feature complete sim on the market (single player stuff excluded)

iRacing Cons

- By far the most expensive platform for online racing, a lot of people can't justify the cost... this ultimately is what helps keep the player base a lot more serious than other games though.
- Graphics and lighting are fairly dated albeit with some nice bells and whistles attached to make it look a bit more modern...
- Single player functionality with AI is still quite basic but what is there is done pretty well
- A lot of people lose patience in the rookie series because it lumps all the noobs together often resulting in carnage, this can give people the (false) impression that the player base is no better than other sims

TLDR : If you are new to sim racing then AC is the logical first choice for its low cost and free content via mods. If you then want to take it to the next level in terms of online racing id look at ACC (provided you are happy to drive just GT3 and GT4 cars) and then finally if you are addicted to sim racing online then iRacing is your final destination. I spent £20 on AC, £45 on ACC (including the DLC's) and about £3500+ on iracing alone... you don't need to spend that much, I just loved it so much I ended up buying 100% content over the 12 year period I have been using the sim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom