Soldato
Current Promotion:

Half Off New Memberships

http://www.iracing.com/half-off//

1 Month - $6
3 Months - $15
1 Year - $49.50
2 Years - $89.50

• Unlimited head-to-head racing and open practice 24/7 in the world’s premier online sim racing service.
  • 6 Cars and 8 tracks included and modeled flawlessly after their real-world counterparts,
  • Race against drivers from around the globe in several officially sanctioned series,
  • Both rookie road and oval racing licenses to get your career started.
  • Create custom race leagues or fun race sessions for you and your friends.
  • Experience our interactive iRacing video driving school.

I have been dubious, but at that price, rude not to :)

Oddly, I was looking at this early this morning and nearly subbed at the normal $12 for one month fee - lol

Anyone up for a "noob" OcUK iRacing Series :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes. You do get a bunch of stuff from the off though.

To be fair, the assets I have seen seem very well done.

The idea I guess is to master what you have or buy a track if you really like it.

For example, I will be buying Brands Hatch as I LOVE the track. You do get both the regualr and GP versions.

Either way, if your a Sim racing fan, $12 for 3 months is a no brainer.

Soldato
OP
Client is downloaded via the website once you login.

The Main UI is web based and you launch the game from within the browser. All seems very well polished though and not "cheap" looking and is very quick.

The game/community is very stats driven from what I can tell so a web based UI makes sense.

I only tried it after seeing the developer is the guy who was the lead developer on Grand Prix Legends - lol, well, not just that, the game does have a good rep with those who play.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ignoring the racing aspect....

What I love about iRacing is the structured community/social aspect.

What I loathe about rFactor is the fractured community.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Am I right in thinking that if me and a friend both own the same track, we still cannot arrange a one off race on that track without paying?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There's no AI at all in iRacing, interesting discussion about that in the club england forums atm/recently, personally I don't mind but I've always found AI to be useless so not fussed either way :p

Not sure about the pit stops, don't think so other than by specifying a fixed setup that doesn't have enough fuel.

Thanks for the reply.

That is a shame about the AI.

Would be nice, especially as a noob to practice, especially with friends with AI cars on the track without making a tool of myself on the public servers.

Soldato
OP
What is a recommended car/track combo to purchase for a noob to be able to progress well and learn?

A friendly forum-ite kindly put me down as their referer (I did not ask) so I have $15 iRacing credit :)

Many thanks.

Soldato
OP
Iracing is the best sim you can get right now imo but its made for hard core race sim drivers so guys that just want to pick up and play a race game are better off with the Dirt series of games.

It takes many hours of practice to be competitive is what i mean its not just a pick up and play racing game.

Its also expensive and will cost you 100s of $ a year so its played by commited serious sim racers.

I do not know if that was intentional, but that does make you sound rather arrogant.

It does not have to cost a lot, is comparitive to an MMO.

I am new to iRacing but if you symbolise the majority of the userbase, I think I will quit now.

One thing I do not like about the Sim community is the elitism.

People like what they like, it is not upto you or anyone else to tell them what to play.

Soldato
OP
I just offered to pay for a hosted session for you so we could run some laps if that makes you think im arrogant i wish i never bothered.

Fair enough, you did, and it was a nice gesture and Brands Hatch is one my favourite courses by the way :)

I just do not understand the "This is for sim racers only and will cost you hundreds mentality". In my opinion, it just sounded arrogant.

Loads of people play MMOs/F2P games and probably spend similiar amounts of money. You do not need to own 100% content in iRacer to have a jolly good time.

So what if someone likes to play Dirt, no reason why they cannot play iRacing too.

Also, what difference would TrackIR make to the experience?

And, when hosting a session, can you choose day/night?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
At this stage, I have no interest in purchasing 100% content, only the cars and tracks I like and to enter in the races I enjoy going forward so I do not see it costing that much more in comparison to say an MMO.

That however is the beauty of it, one person spending $100 a year could have as much fun as someone spending $400 in their opinion. The game already has enough negativity outside its community regarding its payment model and I think saying "Youve got to spend hundreds" will scare people off even more and I think it is important to balance that statement as in my opinion, it is not true.

Personally, my aim is to master these Roadsters, which, with me being ****, is going to take some time so for me, all I have to pay for the time being, is my sub :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom