The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Its been only 2 weeks since i our offer was accepted and our solictors are taking the P a bit.

They sent us a welcome pack just over a week ago with stuff for us to fill out such as our ID, bank details, info on the property, proof of funds etc etc and we had completed all that mid last week and uploaded it to a link they provided to securely upload our files to.

Just a couple of hours ago they emailed us saying "hey, when you ready, please send all out the forms to us in an email......"" like wut??!

My missus then called them up and went HAM on them and they said how they diddnt know that the portal upload system works and that many other clients just send there stuff in a email or dropbox transfer links and that the portal was only used for us to recieve stuff for them? I mean really?!?!?

When you log into there portal it clearly has a menu button saying (Upload files)

It is a bit fiddly as when you upload something there, it doesnt give you a progress bar or a indicator that it has been uploaded and so you have to refresh the page in order to see the update on there portal website...

From now on we are going to have to micro manage these lot and keep badgering them and this is a solictor that my mate recommended! We may have been hired a lemon of a case officer...
I think our solicitor had a similar portal but in their email signature it clearly says "PLEASE STOP UPLOADING CRAP TO THE PORTAL WE DON'T SEE IT" :cry:. Must be a ways of working thing for the old biddies that insist on using email.

Soldato
Its been only 2 weeks since i our offer was accepted and our solictors are taking the P a bit.

They sent us a welcome pack just over a week ago with stuff for us to fill out such as our ID, bank details, info on the property, proof of funds etc etc and we had completed all that mid last week and uploaded it to a link they provided to securely upload our files to.

Just a couple of hours ago they emailed us saying "hey, when you ready, please send all out the forms to us in an email......"" like wut??!

My missus then called them up and went HAM on them and they said how they diddnt know that the portal upload system works and that many other clients just send there stuff in a email or dropbox transfer links and that the portal was only used for us to recieve stuff for them? I mean really?!?!?

When you log into there portal it clearly has a menu button saying (Upload files)

It is a bit fiddly as when you upload something there, it doesnt give you a progress bar or a indicator that it has been uploaded and so you have to refresh the page in order to see the update on there portal website...

From now on we are going to have to micro manage these lot and keep badgering them and this is a solictor that my mate recommended! We may have been hired a lemon of a case officer...

Pretty much par for the course in my experience. You may not have hired a lemon, just your typical conveyancing solicitor. :p

Man of Honour
Estate agents are useless. ‘We’ll chat to the sellers and get back to you’. Commence radio silence and more chasing. It’s just frustrating now being ready to exchange, but the sellers dragging their heels. I know they want to move straight into their own purchase, but that wasn’t what we agreed (their idea, not ours) when we offered and we paid decently over asking. It is what it is I guess.

Associate
They are mostly all useless, we're at the point where we need to start talking potential dates and deposit payment and my solicitors has disappeared off the face of the earth, not responding to any comms from me or any EA.
No out of office on her emails either. If she's busy or has nothing to advise it would take 20 seconds to send an email to say that and I'd be fine with it, but in the dark for nearly a week.

She'll not be happy when she listens to my voicemail I left earlier, but hopefully a shot across the bow is what she needs.

Associate
What do you think should be done to help make buying a house a smoother easier transaction?

Should it really be a pain to buy a house in this day and age?
I reckon there is loads you could do to make it easier and quicker, but I suspect it won't aid the EA's and Solicitors

Instead of buying the searches of the house you are buying and waiting a month for them to come back, why don't they change it so the seller buys their owns searches for their own house prior to listing so they are done in advance and can be presented with the Contents Forms and the Property Questionnaire, would shave off 3 or 4 weeks potentially.

After we accepted an offer it took our buyer 2 weeks to choose a solicitor - no need and just it starts you off on a delay, you should have them in place first, you know you will need them when you start looking.

Could EA use RICS surveyor for valuations that is accepted by EA and sellers for pricing and also by mortgage companies for their valuations?
Obviously offers over will throw that one perhaps but....

I'm sure there's flaws in my thinking and I'm literally just thinking out loud, but the whole system is nasty!

Associate
The system itself doesn't want to change, it keeps them employed and everyone has accepted their ineptitude and delays.

Many will scoff at the mere thought of it but blockchain technology could revolutionise the house buying & selling system.

Soldato
What do you think should be done to help make buying a house a smoother easier transaction?

Should it really be a pain to buy a house in this day and age?
what scotland does lol.

Seller has to have a report on the house etc. An accepted offer is legally binding too. Here anyone can pull out before exchange and that can cost you thousands and a lot of precious time.

Associate
Anyone any experience with mortgage offers and changing properties? Weighing up our options if we need to pull out due to the partially collapsed chain and if the offer is transferable or we’d need to start a new application (and as such, a worse product as interest has increased by .5% since we first applied)

I’ve asked our mortgage advisor anyway and just waiting to hear back.

2 properties have popped up that we’re going to go view as backups for if the current purchase falls through.

Soldato
Anyone any experience with mortgage offers and changing properties? Weighing up our options if we need to pull out due to the partially collapsed chain and if the offer is transferable or we’d need to start a new application (and as such, a worse product as interest has increased by .5% since we first applied)

I’ve asked our mortgage advisor anyway and just waiting to hear back.

2 properties have popped up that we’re going to go view as backups for if the current purchase falls through.
We used L&C as a mortgage broker. The seller of a house we tried to buy pulled out without warning, and so we started looking again. L&C indicated the lender would very likely just change the address of the mortgage application pending a valuation survey, and luckily we ended up having an offer of exactly the same amount accepted on a new house. Went back to L&C who started the process, but ended up coming back a few weeks later and it was essentially a fresh mortgage application, to the point of even having to submit ID again. Bit of a pain really - the rate crept up by 0.2%.

Soldato
Thanks @squerble that’d be annoying but have to see how nationwide view it.

Had an update just now that top of chain had offer accepted and it also closes the chain (4 parties/3 properties) so this may all not be needed anyway, just hope they hussle now before our offer expires in Oct!
fingers crossed for you man! our completion date is Thursday :o GF is struggling to sleep out of excitement :D

Soldato
Good luck, chaps.

We've had our survey done, our solicitor has received the pack from the seller's solicitors, and our mortgage application is processing — so far, so good.

Soldato
what scotland does lol.

Seller has to have a report on the house etc. An accepted offer is legally binding too. Here anyone can pull out before exchange and that can cost you thousands and a lot of precious time.
Close.

The Scottish system is better and having the survey as part of the listing really does helps the process.

Even though you have to offer via your solicitor, an offer isn't actually legally binding until the missives are signed.

So it's not perfect, but leaps and bounds ahead of the utterly stupid English system.

Soldato
fingers crossed for you man! our completion date is Thursday :o GF is struggling to sleep out of excitement :D
Fingers crossed for you and everyone else, that is seriously exciting.

We're waiting for survey and chasing sellers agents to get cracking. If everything was in order we could move within a week or 2.

I don't think the English peeps understand we've come from the rapid Scottish way of doing things, so our version of rapid is about 3 months quicker than theirs.

I'm worried the sellers will drag things along so they can enjoy the rest of the summer chilling by the river, enjoying drinkies and BBQs, even though they have a holiday home they should hurry up and *** off to :D

Soldato
Close.

The Scottish system is better and having the survey as part of the listing really does helps the process.

Even though you have to offer via your solicitor, an offer isn't actually legally binding until the missives are signed.

So it's not perfect, but leaps and bounds ahead of the utterly stupid English system.
ah I see! 2nd hand information from my mate who recently bought in scotland after a failed sale in england! never actually looked into detail my self but he did say that the system is much better there.

Soldato
Close.

There is also no chains right? Which means everyone is on the hunt for short-term rentals presumably?

Soldato
ah I see! 2nd hand information from my mate who recently bought in scotland after a failed sale in england! never actually looked into detail my self but he did say that the system is much better there.
You pretty much got it.

We didn't even realise the legally binding missive thing until we had sold to the winners of the bidding war. Had to await until all their annoying solicitor questions had been answers before the missives were signed.

All went smoothly in the end.

There is also no chains right? Which means everyone is on the hunt for short-term rentals presumably?

There are chains still, but all seems a lot more amicable and smooth.

Never been in much of a chain in Scotland though. Our place before this was bought by 1st timers and the place we bought was an older lady moving into an already constructed new build, so it was simple.

It's hard not to fall in love with a place a d start planning or buying some bits. I mean we've pulled out of x2 down here and are hoping and quietly confident this one is the last :p

Back
Top Bottom