**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Just watched this one too. Some great info vs the Aruns. Lens is designed by Leica.

I like how the ultra processes images, no oversharpening like Samsung and most others. Focus seems great too.

Soldato
But simply being a relatively known brand outside of China and at the price point it will land at will put people off. I'm a big fan of my mi 11 but if I was laying out that kind of money would it go on a xiaomi product?

I think they're making these Halo devices to get the brand recognised. It'll be another year or few before they'll be mainstream.

Samsung got very lucky when Huawei got burnt. Xiaomi is now pushing the game forward.

Soldato
You say unknown outside of China, but they're globally the third biggest phone manufacturer in the world... So it's a little like you're saying 'I don't know the brand', which doesn't really matter if the rest of the world does...

**EDIT** I'm just watching that second video and a little confused by 'shame about the price' comment too. $900 seems pretty cheap for a top end device?

Last edited:
Soldato
You say unknown outside of China, but they're globally the third biggest phone manufacturer in the world... So it's a little like you're saying 'I don't know the brand', which doesn't really matter if the rest of the world does...

**EDIT** I'm just watching that second video and a little confused by 'shame about the price' comment too. $900 seems pretty cheap for a top end device?

Xiaomi in the flagship scene is a relatively unknown brand in the west. For example no one I know would be spending top money on one and few have ever heard of them in the first place.

900 dollars is the China exchange prices. Official UK prices with tax will me more of course.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm kinda just saying it doesn't matter if 'we've not heard of them'. They're selling more phones than almost everyone (bar Apple and Samsung) so we can't be saying 'they need to lower their prices if they really want to sell phones' if you know what I mean?

Soldato
Yeah, I'm kinda just saying it doesn't matter if 'we've not heard of them'. They're selling more phones than almost everyone (bar Apple and Samsung) so we can't be saying 'they need to lower their prices if they really want to sell phones' if you know what I mean?
I agree.

Though if they want to sell more phones at flagship level they need better brand recognition and credibility through long and guaranteed updates. And the 12 ultra is making some right moves, still room for improvement.

Soldato
I think it's confirmed the 12s series is exclusively for mainland China, the main camera sensor will probably arrive in some other Xiaomi model in due time I imagine.Give it a few years and it'll be in a Poco no doubt.

As the sensor was co-developed with Sony no doubt it will be available off the shelf to other manufacturers once the exclusivity period expires, BBK brands such as real me, Vivo and maybe even Oppo etc might use it.

Looks an interesting phone .

Soldato
Though if they want to sell more phones at flagship level they need better brand recognition and credibility through long and guaranteed updates.
I assume you mean in the UK? Or do you know people in the East that say it's not marketed/known there either? (Seems unlikely looking at numbers)

I'm not entirely convinced Xiaomi are that bothered about Europe & the America's tbh... As said, they're doing just fine as they are :)

Soldato
I think it's confirmed the 12s series is exclusively for mainland China, the main camera sensor will probably arrive in some other Xiaomi model in due time I imagine.Give it a few years and it'll be in a Poco no doubt.

As the sensor was co-developed with Sony no doubt it will be available off the shelf to other manufacturers once the exclusivity period expires, BBK brands such as real me, Vivo and maybe even Oppo etc might use it.

Looks an interesting phone .

The 11 ultra started in China then went on for a wider release. This the 12 ultra should be the same.

Soldato
I assume you mean in the UK? Or do you know people in the East that say it's not marketed/known there either? (Seems unlikely looking at numbers)

I'm not entirely convinced Xiaomi are that bothered about Europe & the America's tbh... As said, they're doing just fine as they are :)
I guess I'm not being clear. I'm only referring to the West. They have a solid reputation in the east no doubt.

The West is a massive market where flagship stuff sells. I doubt they would want to miss out on this market, hence the push forward wil high end handsets.

Soldato
The 11 ultra started in China then went on for a wider release. This the 12 ultra should be the same.
Yeah, very small numbers. The 11 Ultra was £1199 I think, it's not a brand the mainstream consumer would drop that amount on, budget phones yes but Xiaomi devices at over a grand are a niche market in the West.

Fingers crossed it does get a release but It seems official word from Xiaomi is otherwise.

Soldato
Yeah, very small numbers. The 11 Ultra was £1199 I think, it's not a brand the mainstream consumer would drop that amount on, budget phones yes but Xiaomi devices at over a grand are a niche market in the West.

Fingers crossed it does get a release but It seems official word from Xiaomi is otherwise.
The dude in the video even said the box wouldn't be in English if it wasn't destined for a wider release. Just like the 11.

Soldato
The dude in the video even said the box wouldn't be in English if it wasn't destined for a wider release. Just like the 11.
That dude was Ben Sinn, he's just a reviewer and has no affiliation with Xiaomi, he just mentioned the text on the box and that in the past it tends to suggest an eventual global release.

The Mi 10 ultra ( I imported one ) had English on the box and it never came to the West.

Fingers crossed the 12s series does come over, but it's widely reported Xiaomi have hinted otherwise.

Soldato
That dude was Ben Sinn, he's just a reviewer and has no affiliation with Xiaomi, he just mentioned the text on the box and that in the past it tends to suggest an eventual global release.

The Mi 10 ultra ( I imported one ) had English on the box and it never came to the West.

Fingers crossed the 12s series does come over, but it's widely reported Xiaomi have hinted otherwise.
Yes I know he's just a reviewer, nothing more. I guess more than anything I'm just hoping/expecting a wider release.

Soldato

Indeed. The average western joe isn’t going to want to pop over a grand on an unknown brand (to them, and a lot of the west) like Xiaomi, even if it has flagships specs.

Back
Top Bottom