Savings Accounts

Soldato
Yeah I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it all.

My plan is a 6 month wage buffer in easy access savings which is the Chase 1.5%

Another chunk which I'll move around fixed rate savings accounts but I need to save a bit more to get the minimum most of them demand and keep an eye on it moving to the best deal every time one expires

The other part of the plan is to understand and contribute more to my pension, I started reading about that this morning but it's so complicated it's going to take me a while to get my head around it especially with changing jobs soon and then overpaying the mortgage and which comes first Pension or Mortgage!? :eek:

On top of all that I've kind of lost my car savings fund as it's been absorbed into the above two savings pots so not really sure what I'll do next time I need to buy a car, I wanted to avoid loans so something else to think about there

On top of all that the amount I can save per month will inevitably be going down, cost of living increases has seen my disposal income drop significantly this year so there is that to keep in mind too, the worst is yet to come for cost of living increases

Proritise by biggest benefit first.

Pension contributions like the biggest as you save on the tax here as the contribution is pretax. Lets go basic, for every £100 you put in your pension, it would only be £77 (lower rate tax bracket + NI) or £57 (higher rate tax bracket) that you would see in your pay packet, however the benefit to you is a long way down the line so its harder to visualise.

Then once you have your 6 month buffer funds (likely sat in a chase account right now for 1.5%) you focus on paying down / saving in to the highest rate you can.

This will likely be over paying your mortgage unless you are on a very good product still, the rate is likely to be higher then any savings rate you will have access to.

The trade off with pension vs mortgage overpayment is down to you.

Soldato
For me paying of the mortgage was the Biggie ,less buffer zone needed , better lifestyle (I do 30 hrs now).and if you get **** at work you just walk and calmly find another job (after a few months chilling)

Don
For me paying of the mortgage was the Biggie ,less buffer zone needed , better lifestyle (I do 30 hrs now).and if you get **** at work you just walk and calmly find another job (after a few months chilling)

The decision is largely based on whether you're on a fixed rate mortgage though. In my example, my mortgage is fixed for another 4 years at 1.24%. Savings rates are already above that (Chase 1.5%) and are likely to increase in the next 4 years. Therefore I am better putting my "overpayments" into a savings account and benefitting from the higher savings rate interest than overpaying. The difference is negligible now but if saving rates increase to 3% next year, I am MUCH better having a lump sum available to go into a 3% savings account than clearing a 1.24% mortgage.

Soldato
Proritise by biggest benefit first.

Pension contributions like the biggest as you save on the tax here as the contribution is pretax. Lets go basic, for every £100 you put in your pension, it would only be £77 (lower rate tax bracket + NI) or £57 (higher rate tax bracket) that you would see in your pay packet, however the benefit to you is a long way down the line so its harder to visualise.

Then once you have your 6 month buffer funds (likely sat in a chase account right now for 1.5%) you focus on paying down / saving in to the highest rate you can.

This will likely be over paying your mortgage unless you are on a very good product still, the rate is likely to be higher then any savings rate you will have access to.

The trade off with pension vs mortgage overpayment is down to you.

This is good advice but you need to flag two things:
- Pensions are not accessible till you are 57 (and this may increase/track state pension age)
- Pension lifetime allowance can land you an equivalent tax scenario to taking the money now (personal tax dependant)

"Benefit" -> Value growth AND flexibility. Flexibility is a function of age and risk.

Soldato
I just put some money in a 1-year fixed bond at 2.5% I cant touch it for a year but quite happy with 2.5%. Its with Sainsburys bank, there are a couple paying 2.6 but they are banks I have never heard off which made me a bit twitchy.
FSCS protection so it doesn't matter. Cynergy are offering 2.71% on a 1yr fix now.

Soldato
OP
Some sound advice again thanks all.

I won't have enough to plonk into a fixed saver until end of September so going off what was said earlier in the thread rates might be 3% plus by then for a 12 month fix

My 5 year fix mortgage is up next year, dreading that and have to be conscious of any credit checks between now and then Inc savings accounts, Chase don't run a credit check so that was fine opening that account. I'm dreading it and it's one of the reasons I'm doing all of this to offset the increase as much as possible.

The points on saving rather than overpayment are very interesting, am I right in saying if my mortgage rate goes above the Savings rate it's better to overpay the mortgage then?

Soldato

I won't have enough to plonk into a fixed saver until end of September so going off what was said earlier in the thread rates might be 3% plus by then for a 12 month fix

My 5 year fix mortgage is up next year, dreading that and have to be conscious of any credit checks between now and then Inc savings accounts, Chase don't run a credit check so that was fine opening that account. I'm dreading it and it's one of the reasons I'm doing all of this to offset the increase as much as possible.

The points on saving rather than overpayment are very interesting, am I right in saying if my mortgage rate goes above the Savings rate it's better to overpay the mortgage then?
Credit checks alone are nothing to worry about, unless you are doing many multiples of them.

In terms of saving vs overpaying, in basic terms yes it is better to overpay if the mortgage interest rate is higher then the savings rate, but it comes with the decision you make that you wont have access to those funds if you so need them like in a savings account. So its a hard call to make.

Soldato
OP
Credit checks alone are nothing to worry about, unless you are doing many multiples of them.

In terms of saving vs overpaying, in basic terms yes it is better to overpay if the mortgage interest rate is higher then the savings rate, but it comes with the decision you make that you wont have access to those funds if you so need them like in a savings account. So its a hard call to make.

Makes sense, I'm splitting my savings in two, half in easy access with monthly payments in, half in fixed to move around to the best deals

I'll then have a bit left to invest in overpayment either pension or mortgage, problem with mortgage is I would have to get my wife involved and she likely won't be up for it and will probably be more up for investing in home improvements

Soldato
Makes sense, I'm splitting my savings in two, half in easy access with monthly payments in, half in fixed to move around to the best deals

I'll then have a bit left to invest in overpayment either pension or mortgage, problem with mortgage is I would have to get my wife involved and she likely won't be up for it and will probably be more up for investing in home improvements
Why do you have to get your wife involved? It should be as simple as calling the bank and increasing the payment, setting up a standing order etc. Its savings just in a different context.

Soldato
OP
Why do you have to get your wife involved? It should be as simple as calling the bank and increasing the payment, setting up a standing order etc. Its savings just in a different context.

The wife and I aren't traditional, without going into too much detail her money is her money and my money is my money. We pay into a joint account every month that covers mortgage bills etc so I cant just go and increase the mortgage payment she needs to agree to it and add the extra money to her monthly joint account contribution

Soldato
The wife and I aren't traditional, without going into too much detail her money is her money and my money is my money. We pay into a joint account every month that covers mortgage bills etc so I cant just go and increase the mortgage payment she needs to agree to it and add the extra money to her monthly joint account contribution
That makes perfect sense, and when it comes to how people treat their money theres no such thing as traditional. Archaic might be a better term :)

My wife and I have always had "our" money, and its all separate and we just try and split the bills fairly, works for use, we both apportion the same % of our incomes to bills and what's left over is ours. Never had an argument about money in 22 years, well, the only arguments we have is about actually getting each other to treat ourselves lol.

Soldato

The rules are:
1. Clear debt
2. Save
3. Invest

If the rate of 2 is higher than 1, leave the debt e.g. student loans.

Soldato
This is good advice but you need to flag two things:
- Pensions are not accessible till you are 57 (and this may increase/track state pension age)
- Pension lifetime allowance can land you an equivalent tax scenario to taking the money now (personal tax dependant)

"Benefit" -> Value growth AND flexibility. Flexibility is a function of age and risk.

Certainly back when I was doing financial advice, the rough rule of thumb was, ignoring protection policies.

6 months savings
Pension
Investment products

Soldato
Certainly back when I was doing financial advice, the rough rule of thumb was, ignoring protection policies.

6 months savings
Pension
Investment products
Yep other than as I said - flexibility. Just want this chap to be clear pension contributions are inaccessible till you are 57. I don't know about you but when I say FIFTY SEVEN out loud I feel sick. And the risk is they raise the age in the meantime...

Don
Yep other than as I said - flexibility. Just want this chap to be clear pension contributions are inaccessible till you are 57. I don't know about you but when I say FIFTY SEVEN out loud I feel sick. And the risk is they raise the age in the meantime...

I'm still going to be paying a mortgage when I'm 57, that tax-free lump sum could come in very handy for an easier mid-life.

Soldato
I'm still going to be paying a mortgage when I'm 57, that tax-free lump sum could come in very handy for an easier mid-life.
For sure, I'm definitely not saying don't pay into a pension - I am just explaining that caution is required. It is locked away, permanently, for a very long time. I top mine up significantly to offset tax, but ideally I'll want to invest somewhere else that would mature at a similar age - but should poo hit the fan, is much more accessible.

FIFTY SEVEN

Damn, only 25years to go :cry:
<3 age friend

Back
Top Bottom