The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
For my house I did the move from rental myself. Moved loads of stuff from Lincolnshire to South Glamorgan.

I've never been more exhausted in my life. Stress, timings, moving washing machine, freezer, loads of crap.

Never driven so many miles in 2 days.

Congrats on the exchange!
Yeah I did it from rental to this place but we've now got beds, sofas, bikes, etc...

It's 3 chaps and a big truck so probably not that crazy in terms of value for money.

Caporegime
Yeah I did it from rental to this place but we've now got beds, sofas, bikes, etc...

It's 3 chaps and a big truck so probably not that crazy in terms of value for money.

I'd pay next time. I was penny pinching to the max. But it's not worth the hassle. I had to move all that with a friend. Basically had a house worth of stuff. Half was at my parents in storage. Some at gfs in storage and a bit in our tiny flat.
Only thing didn't have to move was a tumble drier. Even my dishwasher was in storage

I remember stopping on way from Lincolnshire in Monmouthshire to pick up our dining room table as it was 'on the way'.

Never again!

Soldato
I used Purple Bricks to sell my old place and was quite happy, paid a little extra for them to do the viewings. I'd heard about how bad their sweatshop solicitors were and opted for a local solicitor instead which was a blessing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We sold our flat with PB and they were largely useless. Think we missed out on quite a few viewings due to them. On the plus side they were dirt cheap compared to the other options.

Soldato
Mines just gone back on the market after purchasing a year ago, nice value increase. Reason for sale is largely due to relationship breaking down and no real reason for me to hang around this area anymore, time to move back further North closer to family.

Bittersweet as excited for the next chapter but it's sad at what could have been..

Soldato
Mines just gone back on the market after purchasing a year ago, nice value increase. Reason for sale is largely due to relationship breaking down and no real reason for me to hang around this area anymore, time to move back further North closer to family.

Bittersweet as excited for the next chapter but it's sad at what could have been..
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything.

Interesting development on our front:
The house we’re buying was built by the next-door neighbour for his mother and it was sold on when she died.

Water and drainage was connected through his meter and drains, so the place we’re buying has never had an account with the water company.

The current owner pays the neighbour a standing order each month to cover the bills — typical dodgy Cornish setup. :cry:

Anyway, apparently our lender won’t accept this and the vendor is going to have to go legit with a proper connection for water and drainage and a meter. No idea how long it will take to hook up but it’s obviously going to delay things…

Better to get it sorted now though than for it to cause issues closer to completion.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything.

Interesting development on our front:
The house we’re buying was built by the next-door neighbour for his mother and it was sold on when she died.

Water and drainage was connected through his meter and drains, so the place we’re buying has never had an account with the water company.

The current owner pays the neighbour a standing order each month to cover the bills — typical dodgy Cornish setup. :cry:

Anyway, apparently our lender won’t accept this and the vendor is going to have to go legit with a proper connection for water and drainage and a meter. No idea how long it will take to hook up but it’s obviously going to delay things…

Better to get it sorted now though than for it to cause issues closer to completion.
Crikey have fun with that. I'm assuming pretty serious work to hook up if the water board want it metered (i.e. needs physical work not just admin).

Soldato
Crikey have fun with that. I'm assuming pretty serious work to hook up if the water board want it metered (i.e. needs physical work not just admin).

Yeah, I really don’t know how complicated it’s going to be. The house is next to the road with water and drainage running pretty close, and the house is already connected to the neighbour’s water — in my naive view, it can’t be that difficult, right? … Right guys? :o :D

Soldato
Yeah, I really don’t know how complicated it’s going to be. The house is next to the road with water and drainage running pretty close, and the house is already connected to the neighbour’s water — in my naive view, it can’t be that difficult, right? … Right guys? :o :D
Fun and games, will likely cost the vendor a few quid but they will have to do it who ever they sell to unless they ditch you and find a cash buyer who doesn’t care!

Soldato

Juts going through same thing. Marriage broken down. House is on the market, not even been here 2 years. Hopefully can get out before energy fix ends in October as its not a warm house.

Soldato
Fun and games, will likely cost the vendor a few quid but they will have to do it who ever they sell to unless they ditch you and find a cash buyer who doesn’t care!

Excellent point. Seller needs to get it done no matter what. Hopefully it doesn't take so long as to impact your purchase!

Yeah, I think the vendor was a cash buyer so either it didn’t come up or they weren’t fussed when they bought it.

The value has doubled since 2018 though, so limiting themselves to cash buyers who also don’t insist on getting it done properly will seriously reduce the potential pool of buyers.

No doubt it will get sorted, just a bit of a pain.

Soldato
Juts going through same thing. Marriage broken down. House is on the market, not even been here 2 years. Hopefully can get out before energy fix ends in October as its not a warm house.

Wishing you the best of luck, I waited a couple months to see if we could resolve but it's done and over, still pretty rocked by it but as mentioned just looking forward to a new start somewhere else.

Soldato
I mean it's a catch 22, if they are on % then they will most likely try for a higher sale figure compared to fixed fee. Maybe shop around next time. :cry:

I think it's negligible. At 1% even a £50k increase in price would only be worth £500 in commission, so they're likely to just be desperate and get a bid in at whatever they can, especially when a house around £500k would bring in £5k in commission.

Must say reading through this i'm glad our next move is going to be us selling here and moving into rented accommodation in Spain whilst looking for a house, then having the cash to buy somewhere in Spain so hoping there'll be minimal chains/hassles.

Soldato
Wishing you the best of luck, I waited a couple months to see if we could resolve but it's done and over, still pretty rocked by it but as mentioned just looking forward to a new start somewhere else.
I kind of new it was done when she wanted the house sold. Why would you do that if you weren't going to try.

That's what I am doing too, got to look out for no.1 again (and no.2 and no.3 the kids) and make sure I can find a decent place for them when they come and stay

Soldato
I kind of new it was done when she wanted the house sold. Why would you do that if you weren't going to try.

That's what I am doing too, got to look out for no.1 again (and no.2 and no.3 the kids) and make sure I can find a decent place for them when they come and stay

Without meaning to turn this into the relationship thread just keep looking forwards mate, lot's of new potential in the future when the times right and you have a new place.

Back
Top Bottom