Adding 3 monitors to a laptop that has 1 HDMI port?

Associate
Even the 27 seems to be only 1080P.
However, I'd look up trying to see whether your Inspiron 5580's USB-C with Displayport supports 3 monitors.
Since Dell a dock:
Dell Docking Station – USB 3.0 (D3100)
(won't link to Dell as they are a competitor. @OP you should edit your message #16 as linking to the rainforest is against the rules.)
And it says:
QtbjSAC.png
and under compatibility the 5580 is listed.
So that's the kind of dock you should be looking for.
More generic USB-C docks with triple monitor are around £70 or so, so if you are happy to order it and potentially have to return it you'd save a fair bit (the Dell one is around £225).

Associate
OP
I see, thanks for looking into that.

I understand teh Dell might be better for this laptop, but I will probably be switching to a newer laptop which isn't a Dell, so hoping the one I buy will work with thar.

Would you say this one would do the job:

StarTech.com USB C to 4 HDMI Adapter - External Video & Graphics Card - USB Type-C to Quad HDMI Display Adapter Dongle - 1080p 60Hz - Multi Monitor Video Converter - Windows Only (USBC2HD4)​

If I were to buy and test it?

Thanks for the heads-up too, I have removed the link.

Associate
I see, thanks for looking into that.

I understand teh Dell might be better for this laptop, but I will probably be switching to a newer laptop which isn't a Dell, so hoping the one I buy will work with thar.

Would you say this one would do the job:

StarTech.com USB C to 4 HDMI Adapter - External Video & Graphics Card - USB Type-C to Quad HDMI Display Adapter Dongle - 1080p 60Hz - Multi Monitor Video Converter - Windows Only (USBC2HD4)​

If I were to buy and test it?

Thanks for the heads-up too, I have removed the link.
Well, do you need four?
My search there was "usb c hub triple monitor" then filter by 4 start etc. Those tend to be more useful as like the Dell dock (and by and large with USB-C and Thunderbolt docks can now be used with other vendors unlike the older docks), as they give you extra USB ports, card readers, Ethernet etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have found this one:

D6000 USB-C Triple Docking Station, Up to three 4K Displays via USB-C, UHD 5K, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 130-Watt AC Adapter, Charges up to 65W laptop via USB-C, 452-BCYT 452-BCYH (Renewed)​

Would this do the job? How does it allow three displays if there are only two HDMI ports? Probably being stupid here!

Thanks!

Associate
OP
I see, but I wanted three monitors rather than two monitors and one laptop screen. Could I just link the laptop to a screen (like I do at the moment with a HDMI) and then link the other 2 screens with the above station?

Associate
OP
I've also found this one which seems to say it will do the job:

USB C Docking Station Dual Monitor HDMI for Dell HP, Thunderbolt 3/4 Dock Multiport USB C Hub Quad Monitor Docking Station to 2 HDMI,Displayport,VGA,Ethernet,5 USB,PD,SD/TF,3.5MM for Lenovo,MacBook​

It lists the Dell "Laptop 5590" and mine is the Inspiron 5580 - I guess this will again be a try and test?

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have now have a dock with 2 HDMI ports and 1 VGA port. I can link up two monitors which work, but I cannot get the third one to work.

What's happening is I have three screens, but one of them is the laptop screen. I guess I need to know if there is a way to get the laptop screen onto the third screen?

Is this possible or do I need to buy another item?

Thanks for your help

Soldato
Ok, so I have now have a dock with 2 HDMI ports and 1 VGA port. I can link up two monitors which work, but I cannot get the third one to work.

What's happening is I have three screens, but one of them is the laptop screen. I guess I need to know if there is a way to get the laptop screen onto the third screen?

Is this possible or do I need to buy another item?

Thanks for your help
Isn't this just something you do in Display Settings from right clicking Win desktop? Select the monitor you want to duplicate the laptop screen, select the others that you want to extend the display to.

Also, don't forget that you might be able to use the dock as well as the existing HDMI port - I have to do this to work around my dock which allows multiple 1080p displays, but only one 1440p+ display. I therefore have two 1080p screens attached to the dock, and then an HDMI cable directly from my 1440p screen to the laptop's HDMI port.

Back
Top Bottom