This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
for fracks sake lets start now then

Depending on how bad it gets this may be one of ways out, but its hard to see if energy companies will invest if they think its a short term fix.

Nuclear failed because the cost was too high and all the suppliers pulled out. The French, then the Japanese, and finally we even went to the Chinese for our energy security, but they too pulled the plug.

And yet we've been sucessfully running nuclear power plants in this country for 60 years. And we've started to build them again. But yes, the cost is higher - a price that now seems worth paying given where we are, and as I mentioned this point has been predicted for the last 20 years. Also, I'm sorry but if you think the green lobby has had nothing to do with the lack of investment in nuclear then you're just plain wrong.

Associate
EDF wanted to put my DD to £452 every month, that's just stealing money frankly. I just called them to refuse the increase threatening to cancel the DD if they raised it. They agreed to and are keeping it the same. I'm also going to a little aside just in case as well.

My best guess for my energy bill this winter is going to be in the £500-600 range a month. I haven't had a discussion with my supplier yet. We're lucky and can probably get through it - millions won't.

Soldato
My best guess for my energy bill this winter is going to be in the £500-600 range a month. I haven't had a discussion with my supplier yet. We're lucky and can probably get through it - millions won't.
For me it's not about getting through it, I can afford it as I live alone and don't have many outgoings but it isn't justified so I will be looking at every single way not to pay a bill which has already been doubled before its doubled again!

Soldato
As someone who is very keen on green I fully support nuclear.

1. Its waaay better than carbon
2. Our current green technology isn't enough 24/7, 365 days a year solutions.
3. It gives us control of our energy. We can buy the fuel relatively cheaply from our peers like the USA and Australia.
4. 3 also stops us paying counties like Russia and other opecs.

All these are good things.
We wouldn’t need to buy the fuel. The UK owns most of the worlds plutonium.

Associate
Why just why can't (me just being a simpleton here) all the governments around the globe just got to the major energy producers and say look lads your taking the **** now and put a cap on the price of wholesale gas and electricity

Associate
How quick can we build a small reactors dotted around the country, 5 years?
We need to treat it like we are on a war footing

A news report I read rolls Royce was hoping to start manufacturing of their module reactors by 2030 at current demand they estimated 60 reactors needed for the whole country and could produce 1 every 6 months but are still waiting for all the designs to get passed

Reckon it could produce 40 000 jobs also

Soldato
Currently (12:46pm) there's 0.71GW of total wind power being generated across the entire UK, which is about the lowest it has been for the past week.

Out of what total capacity? Is it really not windy enough even out at sea. I know its a nice sunny day but surely these things can still operate at smaller speeds?

And yeah, if the capacity when its not windy is an issue, then double the capacity. At half wind speed we'll still get what we need.

The thing with all this is its not difficult. I know we simplify and I don't work in the sector, but these devices are not technologically complex things.

Also why don't we have deals with countries we can actually trust? If we have less wind in the summer, well lets work with Spain and France and use their solar. In return, when they get less sun in winter and we get more wind, we can share our wind power. A European renewables network would work brilliantly and doesn't need to be at much if any risk. I know Im advocating self reliance, and I do believe in that, but we could also work with close trusted neighbours too that is just sensible.

Associate
It's harsh, but if that amount is required to cover your energy use then it's not stealing.

I'm not sure anybody said it was stealing, I certainly did'nt. Although with a more relaxed colloquial definition you could argue it was 'criminal'. Either way, the point is that this was predictable and a lot of people are going to suffer.
We are building one (1)

Which is to be the first of 8 large reactors and multiple smaller ones. My point is we should have been doing this for the past 20 years.

Soldato
I'm not sure anybody said it was stealing, I certainly did'nt. Although with a more relaxed colloquial definition you could argue it was 'criminal'. Either way, the point is that this was predictable and a lot of people are going to suffer.

Which is to be the first of 8 large reactors and multiple smaller ones. My point is we should have been doing this for the past 20 years.

Sorry - I meant to quote this comment earlier.

EDF wanted to put my DD to £452 every month, that's just stealing money frankly.
|
\/
It's harsh, but if that amount is required to cover your energy use then it's not stealing.

Soldato
A decade+ ago the plan was for about that number too. Only one got through the process because costs spiralled and the government is ******* useless. Placing any faith in plans for 8 now is heavily optimistic.

Associate
A decade+ ago the plan was for about that number too. Only one got through the process because costs spiralled and the government is ******* useless. Placing any faith in plans for 8 now is heavily optimistic.

To be fair this is absolutely correct as well - it was unfair of me to lay the blame entirely on the green lobby nonethless I still believe they have played a significant part. As for the future - I have no idea, you could well be right however I bet those power plants don't look so expensive now.

Back
Top Bottom