• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Like the "6Ghz" 13900KS all aboard the hype train. Can hold 6Ghz, on a couple of cores, for a few seconds. Consumers are always shooting themselves in the foot with expectation.
I've been waiting for actual user reviews so I can make an informed decision (that involves waiting for the x3d parts to be released aswell). So far information seems sparse, I don't know if it's because people just don't bother or the results are underwhelming. I feel like there's a real user experience information vacuum around these components. I saw one person in another thread say they bought the 13900KS but have not seen anything about their personal experience with the cpu. :(

Soldato
I've been waiting for actual user reviews so I can make an informed decision (that involves waiting for the x3d parts to be released aswell). So far information seems sparse, I don't know if it's because people just don't bother or the results are underwhelming. I feel like there's a real user experience information vacuum around these components. I saw one person in another thread say they bought the 13900KS but have not seen anything about their personal experience with the cpu. :(

guess only enthusiasts will be buying these cant see much difference and at higher price, KS are usually parts that are forgotten about same with the 12900KS

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah thought so... You REALLY do believe in these charts from Computer Base De. :)

Edited: its nice to have more time to reply, formulated to be less unintentionally provocative.
I don't do bad faith discussions. If I show you (real-time) results indicating what I'm talking about from various different users but you're stuck on computerbase then I might as well talk to a wall. I have no interest in doing that.

Associate
Finally looking at a new rig (still rocking an i5 4670k...) and part of me wants to buy the 'dead' tech am4 board and 5800x3d for price, plus the fact the upgrade from what I'm on should be phenomenal, but at the same time I think that's silly with these new x3ds on the way and having upgrade potential getting an am5 board.

Will probably price up two projects as I expect everything am5 associated will add up to be quite a bit more; and also want to be talked out of going down the am4 route..

Certainly a fun journey relearning what all the tech is doing these days.

Caporegime
Finally looking at a new rig (still rocking an i5 4670k...) and part of me wants to buy the 'dead' tech am4 board and 5800x3d for price, plus the fact the upgrade from what I'm on should be phenomenal, but at the same time I think that's silly with these new x3ds on the way and having upgrade potential getting an am5 board.

Will probably price up two projects as I expect everything am5 associated will add up to be quite a bit more; and also want to be talked out of going down the am4 route..

Certainly a fun journey relearning what all the tech is doing these days.

There is an alternative, You can chose between DDR4 and DDR5 on Intel.

So:
13600K, £330.

Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DDR4: £160

£490, Still quite a lot of money but because of the silly DDR5 motherboard prices it will cost you £80 more to get the same AM5 board with a Ryzen 7700, if you plumb for the 6 core 7600 it will cost about the same as the CPU is about £100 cheaper than the 13600K.

The downside going the DDR4 Intel rout is its a dead platform, AM5 has 2, 3 maybe 4 CPU generations left in it, its brand new and AMD have promised upgradability on it to at least 2025, the last AM4 CPU was the Ryzen 5800X3D, April 2022, so 5 years longevity and 4 CPU generations on AM4.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Biggilus which ever one you chose realising the performance difference between a Ryzen 7000 series or Intel 13'th gen and your Haswell will blow the top of your head off, its massive.... i had one years ago, the first upgrade i made from it was a Ryzen 1600 and even that already blew it out of the water, my 5800X is twice as fast that, at least....

CPU's have come a very long way...

Last edited:
Associate
@humbug grand idea, didn't consider intel just as the latest I've read is amd wins when it comes to CPUs, not that I'm against Intel if they've got good kit. Did consider a 5800x3d with a 6800xt and like you say the jump in performance from my current CPU and Rx480 would be immense. Fortunately money isn't a huge constraint so buying into old tech to save a few quid isn't the priority either.

Think whatever, would be wise to wait and see what this range of and cpus can do

Associate
This is something else new to me - adjusting power levels. Last time I tinkered around involved moving jumpers to different multipliers on the motherboard and that was it (current rig I bought as is so didn't need to tamper). I see that this can be done not just on CPUs but on GPUs and memory too? Not to clog up this thread with 'basic' overclocking/undervolting but is there a decent resource I can read up on all this?

Caporegime
This is something else new to me - adjusting power levels. Last time I tinkered around involved moving jumpers to different multipliers on the motherboard and that was it (current rig I bought as is so didn't need to tamper). I see that this can be done not just on CPUs but on GPUs and memory too? Not to clog up this thread with 'basic' overclocking/undervolting but is there a decent resource I can read up on all this?

Your showing your age :D

For GPU its really simple, download a free stress testing application like superposition benchmark, for overclocking download MSI After Burner and adjust the core and memory clocks until Superposition crashes or shows graphics corruption, once you see that back it off one step, usually the core and memory can overclock around 5% to 15%.
I'll add a screen shot example below

For CPU memory just use XMP in the BIOS, its a predefined overclocking setting for memory, you can go a lot deeper than that but that could be days of testing for little gain.

CPU overclocking AMD and Intel are different and you gain little from it, i haven't used Intel for a while but what i have done with my 5800X is reduce the power consumption by about 20 watts and increased the performance by about 5 to 10%, its not easy to do even if you know what you're doing, AMD have alsorts of AI algorithms designed to get the best Mhz for the lowest power and you can manipulate those as a series of "Curve Optimisers" its a lot of setting and testing to find the perfect balance to get the most out of it, but you can experiment with a quick and easy flat setting, i'll add another screen shot example below, but these setting will not work for your CPU as each CPU is different.

If you do get a Ryzen CPU and you want to try that or even just the quick and easy option ping me and i'll be happy to assist.

wH0NnSy.png

cYMmRwC.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'll be going for the 7800X3D as i fear the 7900X3D wont be an improvement in gaming and thats pretty much all i do.
ok, just had a look and they have the Ryzen 7 5800 X3D in stock but no 7800 X3D

U got n idea how much money ur prepped to pay for it?> i think it may go around £450

Back
Top Bottom