His Dark Materials - New BBC/HBO/New Line Cinema TV Series

Caporegime
So season 3 has started finally. Good first episode but already quite a few changes from the books, I assume for covid/budget reasons.

Angels can look human, there is no difference between Balthamos and Burrich, in the books Burrich was once human while Balthamos was born an angel.
Side characters stories fleshed out (Ogunwe, Asriel)
Mrs Coulter hides Lyra in some cottage in the UK instead of a cave in the Himalayas
Gallivespians seem to have randomly been given wings instead of their dragonflys. Weird change, no idea why they've done this.
They seem to have changed Father Gomez slightly but the guy that plays him is absolutely fantastic.

Caporegime
Ive noticed most of the online channels do this now. Not through sky usually though just through each channels streaming service/app.

Annoys hell out of me when they do that, sky is really bad. See a trailer for season 2 or 3 of a show that i missed first time round, go to catchup and they have half the episodes of season 2 and none of season 1 there. GRRRRRR

Soldato
Looking forward to this, although I think it's been good rather than great, there's just been something missing from the first 2 seasons, can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Caporegime
Looking forward to this, although I think it's been good rather than great, there's just been something missing from the first 2 seasons, can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Just re watched the first two seasons before starting season 3. They were better watching a second time round tbh. Excited now.

Soldato
Just finished this. Sad ending after everything that went before.
Obvious sequel bait too.

Oddly, when I read a book I tend to remember the story pretty clearly but I had zero memory of the final book, except for the odd scene. It was actually quite refreshing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Been watching this weekly so just finished. Quite a lot of changes in the third book adaptation but overall I think they mostly worked. The one I really didn't like was the cutting/minimising of the Galavespians and how little of Mary and The Mulafa's story made the show. Hell the title piece of the third book wasn't even in the show!

Soldato
Great final season. Really enjoyed it. My wife did mention that she thought my deamon would be a sloth, lol.

There is something about Ruth Wilson, loved her in "The Affair" another great series.

I recently finished reading book 1 (The Golden Compass) as an audio book and wondered how is best to watch the screen version? I'm told that there is a TV series on BBC iPlayer and there is a film version. Which do people here prefer screen-wise? Then after I've seen that, I'll move onto audio book 2.

Commissario
OP
I recently finished reading book 1 (The Golden Compass) as an audio book and wondered how is best to watch the screen version? I'm told that there is a TV series on BBC iPlayer and there is a film version. Which do people here prefer screen-wise? Then after I've seen that, I'll move onto audio book 2.
The film with Daniel Craig is awful, watch the series on iPlayer.

Back
Top Bottom