His Dark Materials - New BBC/HBO/New Line Cinema TV Series

Soldato
Well that is good news then :) Though with more book 2 content appearing in this series, I wonder if season 2 will have a bit more filler. Still, I am enjoying this series and another good episode last night too.

Have they 'spoiled' the surprise that Stanislaus and John Parry are the same person? I thought we (the reader) only found out when Will realises right before Stanislaus/John gets killed by the witch.

I suppose the TV series could do it the other way though and keep Will's surname out of the show so it you still have the surprise.

Soldato
Have they 'spoiled' the surprise that Stanislaus and John Parry are the same person? I thought we (the reader) only found out when Will realises right before Stanislaus/John gets killed by the witch.

I suppose the TV series could do it the other way though and keep Will's surname out of the show so it you still have the surprise.

I think they have, they are removing a lot of the mystery from the story, and is it not the same for Lyra now that she knows exactly who her parents are??

Caporegime
I think they have, they are removing a lot of the mystery from the story, and is it not the same for Lyra now that she knows exactly who her parents are??
Lyra found out about Mrs Coulter being her mum from the Gyptians in the book too, although it was from Lord Faa not Ma Costa. She found out about Asriel a little earlier but not by much.

To me the main thing that has been 'spoiled' as such is the reveal of the another world at the end of book one now that we've already showed a window and Boreal moving through it.

Soldato
Enjoying this, but I have to say (very very minor spoilers for the last 2 episodes):

As they have a finite CGI budget and therefore don't always show character's Daemons it doesn't have the impact/isn't as jarring as the books when they reveal someone without one.

Soldato
It isn't the best show around but it is a faithful reproduction and I'm enjoying it too. I rarely get to watch it Sunday but I make sure to catch up with it on a Monday. I posted about it above, I can appreciate why they have included book 2 threads in to this season but they way they've done it they have removed some of the mystery.

You don't really know why the Magisterium are staking out the Parry's or why they're after John Parry. Everything clicks in to place when you find out the John Parry is Stannislaus Grumman. Will finds out at the same time and it has much more impact because of it. The only thing I can think of is that they included the reveal relatively early on in the series as a nod to people who have read the books. As not much time was dedicated to it and as they haven't introduced John/Stannislaus it's just a name which maybe they're hoping people will have forgotten by the time that Will and John/Stannislaus meet.

Soldato
I'm very much enjoying it.

So far, the production company has done a much better job with this adaptation, than the production company that did The War of the Worlds adaptation for the BBC; so I'm thankful for what is so far, a faithful adaptation.

Hopefully the ending to the first series isn't a cop out, like it was in Golden Compass. I'm sure that won't happen, but that's one of things that irked me about Golden Compass.

To give the film some credit though, after seeing Sam Elliot, I just can't imagine anyone else as Lee Scoresby. Sorry Lin-Manuel. :p

Soldato
To give the film some credit though, after seeing Sam Elliot, I just can't imagine anyone else as Lee Scoresby. Sorry Lin-Manuel. :p
I agree, and I also think Nicole Kidman was perfectly cast, her turn from nice to nasty so good.

I'm enjoying the series, but it is quite slow (some un-necessary filler) and I don't like the early book 2 reveals. I also don't think they've emphasized just how strong the connection between human - deamon is. In the last episode when Lyra tried to run away, she got 15 feet and then just passed out, that was it.

Soldato
I watched it all. I thought it was... ok. Average I guess. I'm still not entirely sure whats supposed to be going on though there was some explanation in one of the last episodes that made me think "ah. So thats what its about". Still it was better than the film that flopped didn't have a clue what any of that was about.

Someone I know says the books are really good so might give them a try sometime.

Back
Top Bottom