Motherboards are not selling well.

Soldato

The industry deserves it in my opinion.

Soldato

The industry deserves it in my opinion.
A following trend with the GPU market too i think.

Soldato
All I keep reading from buyers is that they are too expensive so they are getting consoles instead.

Seems to be slightly a chicken and egg situation here. Which came first, the high prices or the sales downturn?

Last edited:
Soldato
No wonder, the prices are ridiculous. It wasn't that long ago that £180-190 would get you a high end board. You are looking at that for a decent entry level board now.
Same with ITX market, a top tier itx board would be around the 200 mark at most i think but now you're looking at 400 for the Asus Z690-i, that's double!

I haven't even looked at the Z790 itx boards yet!

Last edited:
Soldato
No wonder, the prices are ridiculous. It wasn't that long ago that £180-190 would get you a high end board. You are looking at that for a decent entry level board now.
AM5 boards especially, the bonus on AM4 was being able to use multiple generations of CPU without needing to upgrade the board but now the cost savings are eaten up by boards that are in some cases 2-3 as expensive as the AM4 versions were at release.

Last edited:
Associate
AM5 boards especially, the bonus on AM4 was being able to use multiple generations of CPU without needing to upgrade the board but now the cost savings are eaten up by boards that are in some cases 2-3 as expensive as the AM4 versions were at release.
It's almost like the motherboard makers are thinking: "you DIY'ers are going to upgrade less often? Well, then we shall milk your one purchase as much as possible".

Last edited:
Soldato
I keep looking at upgrading my 5820k/2070 system....but a like for like upgrade (i.e. a good mid-range enthusiast chip, memory, motherboard) is £800+. Middle of the road graphics card is what, £900 now? Would probably need a new PSU. £1800 for an upgrade? Mental.

I'll just keep playing older games on PC and stick to PS5/XBSX for the big titles.

Soldato
A said state of affairs. Prices are going to write off the desktop PC if they carry on. Not many things come down in price. Solid state and ram used to fluctuate a lot, but now mostly everything over time is up, up and up.
Perhaps we will see a shift to laptops with external GPU boxes for gaming. The vast majority of people that drop £1000+ on a desktop PC these days, probably wouldn't if they didn't use it for gaming. Not all....but a lot. I would say if you eliminated gaming, 99% of people could complete the tasks they do on a PC on a laptop, usually a moderately spec'd one.

Associate
When you consider decent boards like the B450 Mortar max was £49.99 and the Tomahawk Max £79.99 not so long ago, then yes motherboards are way too expensive

And the B650 Mortar no longer has Optical either!

The newer AM4s have stagnated in price badly. If i hadn't got a steal on a new R5 3600 i wouldn't have forked out £80 for a 2nd hand B550 :rolleyes:

With games becoming increasingly GPU bound i can see CPUs becoming even less desirable as an upgrade.

Guess "they" win either way you make a purchase on a motherboard/GPU/ console.

Soldato
Its becoming too expensive,i think most of it is absolutely down to pure greed..they've jumped on the GPU scalping wagon and thought you know..we can start bumping the prices of Motherboards,Cpus etc up too while were at it...if the scalpers can do it so can we.

With that said though,I think ram and Nvme drive pricing is still very affordable...for the time been!

Last edited:
Soldato
Prices are just disgusting, and in many cases (AM5 matx in particular) the boards don't even have a single professional review. Not one. They want us to pay £250-300 for an entry level board with no proper reviews? They do not know how the nerd brain works or how to appeal to it :cry:

Send out some damn samples to reviewers, make sure that people know your product is, if not amazing, at least reliable and fit for purpose and doesn't have an annoying fan hidden in the VRM heatsink that will start rattling in 12 months.

Unless it's a long con to make me lose patience and fork out for a Gene just to have a hassle-free life? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Its becoming too expensive,i think most of it is absolutely down to pure greed..they've jumped on the GPU scalping wagon and thought you know..we can start bumping the prices of Motherboards,Cpus etc up too while were at it...if the scalpers can do it so can we.

With that said though,I think ram and Nvme drive pricing is still very affordable...for the time been!

Low competition ends up with a smug git (leather jacket or otherwise) deciding to jack the prices up just to see what they can extract from their captive market.

After all, it's just good business to demand the maximum you can get paid.

Soldato
yup its bonkers. My 7-8 year old rig can play everything I want to play currently only upgrade I've made was a 3060ti FE.
Every time I think its time to replace it I do the maths and shake my head in disbelief. The fact that compelling PC game releases are few and far between doesn't exactly help the cause either!

Soldato
Every time I think its time to replace it I do the maths and shake my head in disbelief. The fact that compelling PC game releases are few and far between doesn't exactly help the cause either!
The way its going "affordable" pc gaming will be a thing of the past, it's no wonder a lot of pc folk are now going the console route and calling it a day,that along with the dire cheating situations in online pc competitive games as well as as badly optimised console port's, the incentive is fading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom