How many of you have the will power to do this?

Caporegime
This is just gonna turn into one of those holier than thou bs threads :p

It's 2023.... Not the 1980s
You can own a phone and not constantly be checking social media.
My phone is basically my ID and wallet.
I don't think I can sensibly leave home without it.

Soldato
Just popped up into town and only took my Apple Watch and keys, since getting the "cellular" watch it's actually quite liberating leaving the phone at home but knowing if there is an "emergency" I am still contactable and contactless on the watch is 9 times out of 10 my payment method of choice anyway.

Soldato
No....i used to say I check for 3 things everytime i put on my shoes to leave

1 - Keys
2 - Wallet
3 - Phone

Now days, I can leave my wallet behind but Keys and Phone is a must.

Need to get a smart lock then you can do away with #1 ;)

Edit: unless they're car keys I suppose. Think it's only Tesla that has truly keyless entry/start?

Last edited:
Soldato
Last time I went out in the car without my phone I had a flat tyre. Thing exploded so could not be fixed. It was dark, cold and raining and I was in the sticks with our takeaway and my neighbours.

Never again.

Soldato
Not cos I'm addicted but because it may save a life or actually be genuinely useful....
This. I can happily take out my phone for a walk and you know what... It stays in my pocket and it's like it's not even there. But if there's an emergency (work or genuine) I'm contactable. How would you feel if you needed a family member urgently and you can't get hold of them for an hour or two because they didn't take their phone with them :confused:

Funnily enough I had a (sort of) argument with my other half because she leaves her phone on silent (not vibrate) 99% of the time. I said "what's the point in that" she said "oh it's so annoying when you're at work and someone leaves their phone on the desk and it keeps buzzing/ringing all the time, it's so arrogant". Turns out she leaves her phone on her desk when she goes to a meeting :confused: Our jobs are different, and to be fair mine is more fighting fires and dealing with people that will just call for things so I'd never dream of leaving my phone at my desk for a 1hr meeting. Not even a 10min meeting :confused: She does it all the time apparently... ?

Soldato
I spent the first 30 ish years of my life without a mobile, because they didn't exist. Now it feels strange to be without it. I'm trying to break the habit though so when I go out walking (just around, for exercise, not hiking over the hills...) I leave it at home.

Man of Honour
OP
I spent the first 30 ish years of my life without a mobile, because they didn't exist. Now it feels strange to be without it. I'm trying to break the habit though so when I go out walking (just around, for exercise, not hiking over the hills...) I leave it at home.

My story really, I used to do lots of long distance running and of course the phone didn't go with me however I've had at least 3 incidents where I've been at least 5 miles from home and I've had to knock on a door or spot somebody in a garden to ask them to ring my wife so she could come and get me.

Soldato
I take it but stow it until genuinely needed. I’m amazed at these people who walk along with their phones out in front of them or check them constantly when your talking to them.

Man of Honour
OP
I take it but stow it until genuinely needed. I’m amazed at these people who walk along with their phones out in front of them or check them constantly when your talking to them.

They are an absolute nightmare when I'm cycling and they think it's OK to step into the road where cars won't be but a cyclist will.
I've come off my bike 3x because of it.

Soldato
Separating myself from my phone does take a very conscious effort, by most measures I'd imagine I'm addicted :p. Does feel strange to be without it.

I do occasionally leave it at home when I go for a local walk as a conscious disconnection, not very often though. Would never leave it if I was actually going to the shops or to get a takeaway or whatever - just rely on it for everything, and there are loads of scenarios I might want to check something / call someone etc while I was out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm supposed to have mine on me at all times, because young kids, but I still forget it occasionally. I got an LTE smartwatch for such occasions, but never really used that either.
The wife can't even take hers with her when she goes to work.

Soldato
Lol my wife does this, drives me mad.
Puts it in the handbag too? I've had occasions where we've been meeting each other (maybe shopping and just go off separately for 20mins, or maybe meeting after work) and then it turns into a total drama because she's just left her phone in her bag on silent/no vibrate. Seriously! :o

Back
Top Bottom