Psu upgrade for my motherboard

Associate
Hi all,

I have a As rock p55 pro with a CIT Active85 500w powersupply. Model number ATV500W

I have just ordered matching Crucial Ram so i can install 16gb (4gb sticks) instead of the 10gb that is installed which are not matching (1x4gb) (3x 2gb Corsair xms3)

Graphics card is a geforce gtx 770

Also ordered a Crucial mx500 1tb ssd.

Someone told me before the psu is really crap and i should upgrade it, What can i upgrade to? Or is there no need?

Man of Honour
What are you looking for? Something that can handle a modern midrange system?

If it was me, I'd get one of the lower wattage ATX 3.0 / PCI-E 3.0 PSUs, so that you'll be good for the next 10 years (e.g. Pure Power 12 M 750, or A850G PCIE5).

If you want something just for what you have, then maybe Corsair TXM.

I don't know anything about CIT PSUs, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I have a As rock p55 pro with a CIT Active85 500w powersupply. Model number ATV500W

I have just ordered matching Crucial Ram so i can install 16gb (4gb sticks) instead of the 10gb that is installed which are not matching (1x4gb) (3x 2gb Corsair xms3)

Graphics card is a geforce gtx 770

Also ordered a Crucial mx500 1tb ssd.

Someone told me before the psu is really crap and i should upgrade it, What can i upgrade to? Or is there no need?

If the system is running stable I wouldn’t bother upgrading the PSU until it’s needed.

Soldato
If you're PSU is fine for now, which it seems to be, then I wouldn't buy a new PSU until you are ready to build a new system. That way you can ask again what PSU you'll need to power your new system.

Associate
OP
If you're PSU is fine for now, which it seems to be, then I wouldn't buy a new PSU until you are ready to build a new system. That way you can ask again what PSU you'll need to power your new system.
yeah guess it is fine. I think out of boredom i just started tinkering with pc lol. Yesterday i was looking at the cooler make to see if i could put a better one on. (akasa freedom tower cooler)

Just waiting for ssd to arrive and then attempt to install that. Memory arrived other day so it's now 16gb from 10gb, can't tell any difference lol and then last night i started googling overclocking but will probably mess something up.

Soldato
yeah guess it is fine. I think out of boredom i just started tinkering with pc lol. Yesterday i was looking at the cooler make to see if i could put a better one on. (akasa freedom tower cooler)

Just waiting for ssd to arrive and then attempt to install that. Memory arrived other day so it's now 16gb from 10gb, can't tell any difference lol and then last night i started googling overclocking but will probably mess something up.

I'd honestly just leave the OC'ing if you're not sure. You won't notice your extra RAM that much, but if you're someone who has 400 tabs open your browser will crash less often!

:D

You should get a nice boost from your SSD though in everything, especially booting up (if your operating system is on it) and game loading time - I've had a Crucial one similair to that for years.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It used to be fast before but then after installing games, vehicle diagnostics and loads of other court documents/bundles etc it seems to have gone slow.

When i get ssd what should i move on to it? Main thing i wanted to improve was boot loading times as now when it loads it takes a few minutes for it to settle before i can open anything.

Soldato
It used to be fast before but then after installing games, vehicle diagnostics and loads of other court documents/bundles etc it seems to have gone slow.

When i get ssd what should i move on to it? Main thing i wanted to improve was boot loading times as now when it loads it takes a few minutes for it to settle before i can open anything.

Your OS needs to be on it, your games, basically as much as you can.

Man of Honour

Do you have enough space to put everything on it? If you don't, I would prioritise apps and games with long loads and frequent patching (like open world & MMO). Old, small (i.e. low disk space) games will show less benefit.

Associate
OP
Hi,

So ssd arrived but the seller forgot to send me a cable, i had an old dell optiplex which i checked and found a cable that fits, will it work? or do i need a different cable?
Don't know how to attach pics on this, its a blue cable one end fits on the ssd on the small connector the other side says serial ata on the housing.

Associate
OP
i think i need a better cable. did a test on userbenchmark and it says relative performance 0% percentile. Ensure that the drive is connected to a sata 3.0 port with a sata 3m0 cable

bench shows terrible 6.58% lol

Back
Top Bottom