Looking to upgrade PC number 2 now....

Associate
So my eldest has been watching and helping me build the moderate PC for my youngest and now realised he's well over due. he's got a 3070ti, ryzen 9 3900xt, ddr 4.

I can't afford to do his whole PC but he's keen to upgrade the core for now so i've put this together, are this a half decent pick? Gets him out of a whole and future proofed?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £968.95 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If all he does is gaming, then I'd get the 5800X3D for the current board.
gaming and some video editing. i thought about the 5800x3d but thought as his board is old, ddr4 slow , maybe a complete refresh is in order.

He needs more storage so thought monopolise in the pcie 5?

or, now i'm thinking possible more bang for buck going 5800 and a GPU upgrade

Associate
It looks a little disparate. The 7800X3D seems to have been selected for gaming and the MB for video editing. I can see the logic in buying a good MB of there are going to be upgrades over the next couple of years but does seem to be a bit of overkill.

What would be wrong with a good B650 and PCIe 4.0 SSD?

Also, I am sure there is some pretty decent 6000MHz C30 DDR 5 memory for a similar price

Associate
In fact, here it is. Kingston Fury C32

£130. For £20 extra you can go RBG

Also, a Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB PCIe4.0 for £109

Not sure if he would really notice the potential 2s difference in game loading time..

And a pretty decent B650 for £200

All in all, even keeping the 7800X3D still saves you £160 do about £810 total

Associate
OP
what are the exact specs of the current computer and what is your budget?
ASUS B550 with ryzen 9 3900xt
Corsair 3200mhz DDR4
1 x m.2 and a couple of random SSDs we've kept over the years
850 watt psu
Gigabyte 3070ti

The initial plan was to get all that up to a better baseline, GPU upgrade at a later date

Associate
OP
In fact, here it is. Kingston Fury C32

£130. For £20 extra you can go RBG

Also, a Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB PCIe4.0 for £109

Not sure if he would really notice the potential 2s difference in game loading time..

And a pretty decent B650 for £200

All in all, even keeping the 7800X3D still saves you £160 do about £810 total
the only reason for that mobo and m2 choice was the PCEe 5. If it really isn't worth it for gaming i am happy to save the cash! :)

Associate
the only reason for that mobo and m2 choice was the PCEe 5. If it really isn't worth it for gaming i am happy to save the cash! :)
For loading games, Hogwarts loads in at 26.6s on PCIe 5 and 27.8s on PCIe 4. Second load is about 0.15s slower.

Cyperpunk: 4.06s vs 4.61s

Forza 5: 34.5s vs 36.1s

Horizon Zero Dawn: 8.8s vs 9.01s

There are another two minutes of game loads but you get the idea. Just look for a PCIe 5 vs PCIe 4 games loading.

GN reckon there may be upto 3% on PCIE 5 vs PCI4 using a scaling calculation on a RTX 4090 (which is a PCI4 card). There are no GPU's at present that are PCIe 5 cards at present but will likely be in a couple of years time but for the time being, you may as well save your cash

Man of Honour
The 5800x3d is good for gaming but for true multicore work, is slower than the 3900xt
If you're sure that your kid will use multicore for video editing and the like, then consider the 5900x/5950x if you want to stay on AM4.
For multicore performance, the 7800x3d is about comparable (+/-10%) Vs the 3900xt.
You haven't said how much ram you have...I'm assuming 32gb DDR 4?

Associate
OP
For loading games, Hogwarts loads in at 26.6s on PCIe 5 and 27.8s on PCIe 4. Second load is about 0.15s slower.

Cyperpunk: 4.06s vs 4.61s

Forza 5: 34.5s vs 36.1s

Horizon Zero Dawn: 8.8s vs 9.01s

There are another two minutes of game loads but you get the idea. Just look for a PCIe 5 vs PCIe 4 games loading.

GN reckon there may be upto 3% on PCIE 5 vs PCI4 using a scaling calculation on a RTX 4090 (which is a PCI4 card). There are no GPU's at present that are PCIe 5 cards at present but will likely be in a couple of years time but for the time being, you may as well save your cash
In that case deffo no point

The 5800x3d is good for gaming but for true multicore work, is slower than the 3900xt
If you're sure that your kid will use multicore for video editing and the like, then consider the 5900x/5950x if you want to stay on AM4.
For multicore performance, the 7800x3d is about comparable (+/-10%) Vs the 3900xt.
You haven't said how much ram you have...I'm assuming 32gb DDR 4?

I would say it is heavily biased towards gaming, he's into thinks like CSGO but big into driving sims like assetto corsa and beam ng i think they're called. Yes he's got 32GB ram currently.

Not sure if this is an easy question, but how much improvement would we see going from his current chip to the 5800 and then How much improvement overall would you see between AM4 / 5800 and AM5 7800 with ddr5?

That's still a high end PC. Does he really need an upgrade now?

Do we really NEED any of this **** lol. And is it? This came because I've built a new pc for my youngest who really did need an upgrade (1600x/1070ti) for xmas. It's a 13600k, ddr 5, 3070. Straight away smashed the benchmark score of the eldest's 3070ti machine and when we overclocked the 3070 the difference in scores was immense. So we agreed maybe its time to give it a refresh lol.

THIS! I'd also get him to get a job and buy it himself or quit complaining :p That rig is more than up to the task? Or is he lusting after 4k?

lol, he's got a job around college, saving up for a mortgage. this is for xmas presents. Don't mention 4k ffs, then we will be looking at monitors too! 2k for now

Updated, potential, basket:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £785.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

15 post limit killing me...

Last edited:
Associate
Benchmarks don't really matter if everything is still perfectly playable to be fair.

Generally CPU's don't seem to make a huge difference on the whole for gaming.

I'd echo what others have said, just get a 5800X3D.

Permabanned
lol, he's got a job around college, saving up for a mortgage. this is for xmas presents. Don't mention 4k ffs, then we will be looking at monitors too! 2k for now

Updated, potential, basket:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £785.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

15 post limit killing me...
So originally it was basically a grand and now it's £800, for an 'xmas' present... Is your toilet made of carbon fibre as well? Madness, what does he get for a wedding present, a Ferrari or a 2nd house?

Associate
OP
So originally it was basically a grand and now it's £800, for an 'xmas' present... Is your toilet made of carbon fibre as well? Madness, what does he get for a wedding present, a Ferrari or a 2nd house?
Is that unusual?

I haven't added up the total cost of the other pc I've just built for my youngest's xmas present, but it's way more than the numbers above as it was a complete build.

Permabanned
Is that unusual?

I haven't added up the total cost of the other pc I've just built for my youngest's xmas present, but it's way more than the numbers above as it was a complete build.
How the other half live I guess? We used to earn things like that ourselves at those sort of ages though or save up/not have it at all.
I'd never dream of asking for a present/to borrow money like that, seems very entitled, and excessive price wise for a present for a kid/teenager or in general tbh.

Just makes me think if you'll get given things like that then the kid will never have the motivation to grind to get things they want, they'll just ask for them/borrow the money.
Dunno mate, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How the other half live I guess? We used to earn things like that ourselves at those sort of ages though or save up/not have it at all.
I'd never dream of asking for a present/to borrow money like that, seems very entitled, and excessive price wise for a present for a kid/teenager or in general tbh.

Just makes me think if you'll get given things like that then the kid will never have the motivation to grind to get things they want, they'll just ask for them/borrow the money.
Dunno mate, different strokes for different folks I guess.

how would us working hard to buy them good things twice a year (xmas/birthday) that they don't ask for make them entitled?

It is one thing passing comment on how much some people spend on xmass presents, it is another making assumptions about my children.

I had buggerall growing up, I've worked damn hard to make sure my kids have better.

Exactly how, and indeed how long, do you expect a 12 year old to save up for a £1500+ pc?

As for this thread, my 17 year old would happily buy his own PC parts, we have told him that we will buy them for xmas. Given he is working every hour he is legally allowed to around full time college to save up for a mortgage deposit. Perhaps I should make him spend that money so when he moves out he has to rent? Then spend the money on me? What would that make me?

Anyway, I've decided to buy another 13600k (f this time to save a few quid..) setup for him, means for the same money above I can get faster RAM, mobo that offers OC and a new CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Because you're working hard for them to have it and not them? And a grand (which you originally spec'ed) is ridiculous for a present, especially to a kid/teen.

But you worked hard got you to a good place where you have that kind of money spare, so surely you'd want them to grow up with the same ethic and earn it, not feel it is owed to them. That's my point.

I don't expect a 12 year old to need a £1500 pc, that statement on it's own is just ridiculous, and then to moan about a setup they already have that matches what most adults go out and work for (that kids his age wouldn't normally have because IDK it's £1500 and they're a kid!!!), is mental, quite frankly! THAT is entitled! That screams entitled, and that they know they can throw a strop and get it/know how to butter you up/guilt trip you/they're in control...

I saved up for like 3 years when i was 12 doing whatever jobs in the village etc I could be it washing cars etc etc to afford a stereo, I would never have asked for a PC/equivalent of £1500, let alone desired it at that age...
At that point I might as well be demanding a car if my expectations are that crazy money wise? ANYONE'S parents would have laughed us out the house if we said we need a £1500 X or Y, they don't they're TWELVE!

Most kids are lucky to be bought a £550 games console/hdtv as a joint present for bday/xmas... Even that is excessive.

If the 17 year old is working towards a mortgage then he has the right mindset and wouldn't even be thinking about gaming, if he's already going for a house, I'd just leave it at that or give him a donation towards the mortgage, not encourage things he's clearly not bothered about if he's set his sights as high as that at 17.

Are you going to buy them cars as well so they don't 'waste their own money' on them as well and pay for the insurance.

I bet they have an iphone/top spec android/tablet/big tv/all the tv subscriptions too. We got jobs at 13 washing dishes or cars or whatever we could to be able to buy a magazine/parts to build up bikes/skateboard... Oh how the other half live!

This all just reeks of being spoilt and entitled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom