Looking to upgrade PC number 2 now....

Associate
OP
Because you're working hard for them to have it and not them? And a grand (which you originally spec'ed) is ridiculous for a present, especially to a kid/teen.

But you worked hard got you to a good place where you have that kind of money spare, so surely you'd want them to grow up with the same ethic and earn it, not feel it is owed to them. That's my point.

I don't expect a 12 year old to need a £1500 pc, that statement on it's own is just ridiculous, and then to moan about a setup they already have that matches what most adults go out and work for (that kids his age wouldn't normally have because IDK it's £1500 and they're a kid!!!), is mental, quite frankly! THAT is entitled! That screams entitled, and that they know they can throw a strop and get it/know how to butter you up/guilt trip you/they're in control...

I saved up for like 3 years when i was 12 doing whatever jobs in the village etc I could be it washing cars etc etc to afford a stereo, I would never have asked for a PC/equivalent of £1500, let alone desired it at that age...
At that point I might as well be demanding a car if my expectations are that crazy money wise? ANYONE'S parents would have laughed us out the house if we said we need a £1500 X or Y, they don't they're TWELVE!

Most kids are lucky to be bought a £550 games console/hdtv as a joint present for bday/xmas... Even that is excessive.

If the 17 year old is working towards a mortgage then he has the right mindset and wouldn't even be thinking about gaming, if he's already going for a house, I'd just leave it at that or give him a donation towards the mortgage, not encourage things he's clearly not bothered about if he's set his sights as high as that at 17.

Are you going to buy them cars as well so they don't 'waste their own money' on them as well and pay for the insurance.

I bet they have an iphone/top spec android/tablet/big tv/all the tv subscriptions too. We got jobs at 13 washing dishes or cars or whatever we could to be able to buy a magazine/parts to build up bikes/skateboard... Oh how the other half live!

This all just reeks of being spoilt and entitled.
you sire, a ******* idiot and know nothing about my children. This post just screams of i cant afford to buy my kids decent ****

and yes, bought 17 year old a car and paying for his lessons and first year insurance. will do the same for the second.

maybe i should delay him moving out even more and make him buy his own **** box that will cost a fortune to keep on the road instead?

Permabanned
you sire, a ******* idiot and know nothing about my children. This post just screams of i cant afford to buy my kids decent ****

and yes, bought 17 year old a car and paying for his lessons and first year insurance. will do the same for the second.

maybe i should delay him moving out even more and make him buy his own **** box that will cost a fortune to keep on the road instead?
Nah your thread screams of hand outs/entitlement and having your cake whilst eating it!

What a surprise, or you could just let them earn their own stuff whilst not trying to push them out of the house and do it naturally/vs forcing them to get a mortgage at 17 and leave? Normal people live their life, learn to drive, make friends, experience the best days of their life at that age, move out and rent, get the dream job then buy the house, you want them out the door at 18 with a mortgage, crazy!
Were they allowed to go out of an evening or were you making them learn uni syllabus at 12 too by any chance.

Madness, unsubbed.

Associate
OP
Nah your thread screams of hand outs/entitlement and having your cake whilst eating it!

What a surprise, or you could just let them earn their own stuff whilst not trying to push them out of the house and do it naturally/vs forcing them to get a mortgage at 17 and leave? Normal people live their life, learn to drive, make friends, experience the best days of their life at that age, move out and rent, get the dream job then buy the house, you want them out the door at 18 with a mortgage, crazy!
Were they allowed to go out of an evening or were you making them learn uni syllabus at 12 too by any chance.

Madness, unsubbed.
I want him out the house at 24 actually and to never have to rent like i did. He is planning on buying a BTL at 19 and then saving for a mortgage for his own house with his girlfriend.

I won't make him waste money on **** i can buying whilst he's doing that or go without like i had to.

if you need a bung for your kids xmas pressies let me know, or maybe go for a gofundme

Permabanned
I want him out the house at 24 actually and to never have to rent like i did. He is planning on buying a BTL at 19 and then saving for a mortgage for his own house with his girlfriend.

I won't make him waste money on **** i can buying whilst he's doing that or go without like i had to.

if you need a bung for your kids xmas pressies let me know, or maybe go for a gofundme
How is someone going without if they can afford a mortgage, this is literally having your cake and eating it with a poor me entitled spin on it. Madness.

Nah I'll use OnlyFans, and get my parents to buy me stuff at the same time ;)

Bored now, unsubbed.

Associate
OP
How is someone going without if they can afford a mortgage, this is literally having your cake and eating it with a poor me entitled spin on it. Madness.

Nah I'll use OnlyFans, and get my parents to buy me stuff at the same time ;)

Bored now, unsubbed.
clearly our views on going without differ.

take care

Soldato
I find it bonkers that you find a 3900x as being "well overdue" for an upgrade. If the board supports the 5800x3d then get that. Will be more than sufficient for a while to come, especially for games.

What resolution does he play at? Is the current CPU actually holding you back in anyway? What is the reason for the upgrade?

Associate
OP
I find it bonkers that you find a 3900x as being "well overdue" for an upgrade. If the board supports the 5800x3d then get that. Will be more than sufficient for a while to come, especially for games.

What resolution does he play at? Is the current CPU actually holding you back in anyway? What is the reason for the upgrade?
people on here not fans of upgrading hardware? reason is that his games (mostly driving sims) aren't performing as well as we expect them to. Low FPS at 2k. especially given early tests on a machine i just built with a 3070 show marked improvements on performance.

we then reviewed benchmarks between the two builds and compared to comparative builds online and its clear that with an upgrade it will perform much better.

I mean, the other pc I am upgrading has a 1600x in it, that still "works".....

Soldato
people on here not fans of upgrading hardware? reason is that his games (mostly driving sims) aren't performing as well as we expect them to. Low FPS at 2k. especially given early tests on a machine i just built with a 3070 show marked improvements on performance.

we then reviewed benchmarks between the two builds and compared to comparative builds online and its clear that with an upgrade it will perform much better.

I mean, the other pc I am upgrading has a 1600x in it, that still "works".....
Odd reply. We're trying to help you and provide what we believe to be the best solution, whilst also not having you throw money down the drain. The issue may lie elsewhere and not be related to the parts you want to upgrade.

1. What CPU was in the other test machine? What's the performance difference?
  2. Were both PCs using the same in game settings?
  3. Can you please clarify what you mean by "low FPS at 2K"? What FPS are you getting vs what you're expecting?
  4. Is your GPU being utilised 100% when playing these games?

Associate
OP
Odd reply. We're trying to help you and provide what we believe to be the best solution, whilst also not having you throw money down the drain. The issue may lie elsewhere and not be related to the parts you want to upgrade.

1. What CPU was in the other test machine? What's the performance difference?
  2. Were both PCs using the same in game settings?
  3. Can you please clarify what you mean by "low FPS at 2K"? What FPS are you getting vs what you're expecting?
  4. Is your GPU being utilised 100% when playing these games?
Apologies, a little touchy given the other fella calling my kids entitled and not being "normal" because I spend a few quid on them on xmas. I also read BeamNG for example is heavily reliant on a decent CPU and decent/fast RAM, especially when adding in traffic)

other machine has a 13600k and ddr5
same graphics settings (don't ask me what, i know nowt about gaming)
so, sub 50 fps when things like traffic, etc added in on above pc, new pc min 65-70 - much smoother game play on this.
he says not, he has stats showing on the game, GPU not near max

should also get a few quid for his old mobo, cpu and ram which will offset a little. especially when the 5800x3d is almost half my intended spend at £320 - I'll get the VAT back so my cart is £650

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies, a little touchy given the other fella calling my kids entitled and not being "normal" because I spend a few quid on them on xmas. I also read BeamNG for example is heavily reliant on a decent CPU and decent/fast RAM, especially when adding in traffic)

other machine has a 13600k and ddr5
same graphics settings (don't ask me what, i know nowt about gaming)
so, sub 50 fps when things like traffic, etc added in on above pc, new pc min 65-70 - much smoother game play on this.
he says not, he has stats showing on the game, GPU not near max

should also get a few quid for his old mobo, cpu and ram which will offset a little. especially when the 5800x3d is almost half my intended spend at £320 - I'll get the VAT back so my cart is £650
Thanks. I'm assuming the GPU on the second PC is also not running at maximum either? 75FPS seems low. What's the game? 13600K is much faster than a 3900x, but I don't think it's that much faster than a 5800x3d, but it also depends on the game.

Speaking of second hand, you could even get a 5800x3d on the used market for less than retail.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I'm assuming the GPU on the second PC is also not running at maximum either? 75FPS seems low. What's the game? 13600K is much faster than a 3900x, but I don't think it's that much faster than a 5800x3d, but it also depends on the game.

Speaking of second hand, you could even get a 5800x3d on the used market for less than retail.
the GPU on the second pc is a 3700, so would expect less than the 3700ti. I've just spoke to him again and he said that was pushing it adding in heavy traffic and other stuff i didnt understand which he doesnt usually do on his pc. that might be why the fps still seems low. he uses light traffic and still get sub 50 fps and lower quality gameplay. when he sets low/medium traffic on the i5 the FPS shoots up to over 100. Thats with beamng

he also plays assetto corsa i think its called. he says gameplay takes a real hit when adding in mods. we havent tested that on the i5 machine yet.

comparison looks night and day?

Soldato
the GPU on the second pc is a 3700, so would expect less than the 3700ti. I've just spoke to him again and he said that was pushing it adding in heavy traffic and other stuff i didnt understand which he doesnt usually do on his pc. that might be why the fps still seems low. he uses light traffic and still get sub 50 fps and lower quality gameplay. when he sets low/medium traffic on the i5 the FPS shoots up to over 100. Thats with beamng

he also plays assetto corsa i think its called. he says gameplay takes a real hit when adding in mods. we havent tested that on the i5 machine yet.

comparison looks night and day?

Mods can kill a game's performance. Go to this video @ 12:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-2ArdYvfA&t=724s&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

5800x3d tops the charts. Performs nearly twice as fast as a 3950x (which for gaming is equivalent to you sons existing 3900x). 7800x3d will be quicker still, but a 5800x3d will outperform your 13600k according to this chart. You can also see how much the mods are killing performance to what he should be getting. Yes, I'm aware this is 1080p, but that's a better way of testing a CPUs performance anyway. Going up in resolution would put more strain on the GPU and less on the CPU.

Assetto Corsa LOVES 3d v-cache which is what the "x3d" chips have.

Beamng is different. I don't think many people use that as a benchmark tool and it's difficult for me to say whether the 5800x3d would have as big of an impact as with AC, but I'd imagine it would be at least 50-100% faster than the 3900x.

Word of advice - Ignore much of what UserBenchmark has to say. It has not been a reliable place of information for many years. Stick to the known big names (Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Guru3d etc).

Final word - My advice, get a 5800x3d 2nd hand. Stick it in and see how you get on. If you want even more performance you can just sell it on again and then upgrade the whole system. Just bear in mind that mods can introduce issues for even the most powerful of systems.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mods can kill a game's performance. Go to this video @ 12:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-2ArdYvfA&t=724s&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

5800x3d tops the charts. Performs nearly twice as fast as a 3950x (which for gaming is equivalent to you sons existing 3900x). 7800x3d will be quicker still, but a 5800x3d will outperform your 13600k according to this chart. You can also see how much the mods are killing performance to what he should be getting. Yes, I'm aware this is 1080p, but that's a better way of testing a CPUs performance anyway. Going up in resolution would put more strain on the GPU and less on the CPU.

Assetto Corsa LOVES 3d v-cache which is what the "x3d" chips have.

Beamng is different. I don't think many people use that as a benchmark tool and it's difficult for me to say whether the 5800x3d would have as big of an impact as with AC, but I'd imagine it would be at least 50-100% faster than the 3900x.

Word of advice - Ignore much of what UserBenchmark has to say. It has not been a reliable place of information for many years. Stick to the known big names (Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Guru3d etc).

Final word - My advice, get a 5800x3d 2nd hand. Stick it in and see how you get on. If you want even more performance you can just sell it on again and then upgrade the whole system. Just bear in mind that mods can introduce issues for even the most powerful of systems.
A lot of useful info there, thanks!

I'll take a proper look later when he's finished work and see what he thinks. He's an AMD fanboy so would rather stick AMD. I couldnt care less but could do a full system upgrade cheaper with Intel currently :)

Man of Honour
Yep. That went downhill pretty fast for a "spec me" thread. Thought I had gone into "Speakers Corner" for a second
yeah, the gulf between the haves/have nots is large...unfortunately
personally would not spend this much on a 15 y/o, but not my money nor my place to tell someone off over an internet forum lol

Associate
yeah, the gulf between the haves/have nots is large...unfortunately
personally would not spend this much on a 15 y/o, but not my money nor my place to tell someone off over an internet forum lol
Was exactly the same. *Probably* wouldn't do it but we all want more for our kids than we had growing up.

One of the many reasons why i do not have a full time chef (lured from a top hotel) and two maids and a full time gardener like my parents is I don't want the kids growing up thinking they don't have to help out around the house. The other ones are this isn't Africa in the 80's and 90's, I don't have a huge house with an hectare of land and I enjoy using all my organs over selling one off every couple of years :cry:

Man of Honour
One of the many reasons why i do not have a full time chef (lured from a top hotel) and two maids and a full time gardener like my parents is I don't want the kids growing up thinking they don't have to help out around the house. The other ones are this isn't Africa in the 80's and 90's, I don't have a huge house with an hectare of land and I enjoy using all my organs over selling one off every couple of years :cry:
my parents did/still do employ 2 maids back at home in singapore :cry:
i never had to do any house chores lol

Man of Honour
anyway, back onto topic, @darrendb if serious about beamng, then that game runs 1 car per thread, my google-fu says that hyperthreading isn't as useful, so more physical cores = better
if that's the case then realistically, the 13900(k) would be the best bet with 24 physical cores, whereas even the 7950(x3d) only has 16 cores

Soldato
So my eldest has been watching and helping me build the moderate PC for my youngest and now realised he's well over due. he's got a 3070ti, ryzen 9 3900xt, ddr 4.

I can't afford to do his whole PC but he's keen to upgrade the core for now so i've put this together, are this a half decent pick? Gets him out of a whole and future proofed?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £968.95 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Rather than spend a grand on this why not go for a 5800X3D + 7900XT

Back
Top Bottom