Spec me a small premium hatchback

Soldato
need to avoid the M suspension yes - do Merc AMG line have the same encumbrance ? unless you get adaptive options.

(CLA shooting break only 20cm longer then A3)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
2 series active tourer is kind of like a family hatchback. New gen was 2021. Probably not going to get over 200bhp, but still 6.5s to 60 apparently with some hybrid specs. It's a new bimma, so should have the option for a heated steering wheel. Just a thought...

Man of Honour
A3s etc aren't actually that small. They are also just an even more expensive Golf.

Whilst this is technically true, the reality is that in every possible way a buyer is going to care it's a different car. It looks different inside, it looks different outside, you could easily drive one after the other and not realise.

Soldato
The current A3 certainly looks plastic inside, Audi's usual high quality standards have dropped lately.

Yea because it's all recycled, toy grade plastics and fake leather now. It has a rough and brittle feel to it. The materials aren't as solid as they used to be.

Even worse when you have gloss plastics with a sticking out touchscreen. Looks tacky.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like it does have to be the M135i for adaptive cruise control. Pretty ridiculous really. The 128ti ticks all the other boxes and would be a more suitable car.
The BMW 1 series got Android Auto from 2020 onwards, I think that means late 2020 though but perhaps not, quite a late starter in any case. Certainly my Smart had the capability of it back in 2014 but it wasn't enabled on new cars until late 2017.

If you've got a 2014 to early 2017 Smart you can enable Android Auto but it requires connecting a laptop and running some software, out of the comfort zone for many owners.

Mines a 2019 therefore had it enabled by default, also have DAB as well which wasn't available on earlier cars.

Soldato
New civic is (now) not a bad looker, similar length to A3 , would be newer with more warranty, but its a honda anyway, so > zee germans.
power of 184 is only issue ... but no one publishes 50-70 times which is really the important one, though
panoramic sunroof definitely great for children ambiance.

Soldato
Wife needs a new car...

Budget: £25-30k
Mileage: Up to 30kish but condition more important

Must haves:
  • Automatic
  • Heated seats and steering wheel
  • Memory seats
  • Decently fast (200 bhp or so)
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Android auto
  • Reversing cam
Plugin hybrid would be ideal, 30 mile round trip commute per day and would be good to have an alternative to my M850i for longer journeys when we have passengers so still needs form of ICE.

Short list currently looking like M135i (although a bit overkill on the power requirement) or A3 40 TFSI e. The A Class 250 e premium plus looked good - liked them on viewing some but no heated steering wheel so now ruled out. Usual frustration with all these brands in finding ones with a good spec without driving across the country.

Ideas gratefully received. Open to other brands if the quality is there.
Any good?

Soldato
The interior of this gen focus it properly awful, it isn't in the same conversation as the other options on the table.
I agree but I didn't see interior listed as a requirement tis all. It's not too bad, the Recaro seats are ace for example (not sat in the Focus but I've sat in a Fiesta ST-3 with them).

Soldato
I agree but I didn't see interior listed as a requirement tis all. It's not too bad, the Recaro seats are ace for example (not sat in the Focus but I've sat in a Fiesta ST-3 with them).

The title says "premium" which to means interior quality has to be at least passable - my father in law has a 21 plate ST line and it's the worst interior on a modern car I've been in in terms of quality of plastics etc.

Soldato
The title says "premium" which to means interior quality has to be at least passable - my father in law has a 21 plate ST line and it's the worst interior on a modern car I've been in in terms of quality of plastics etc.
True but quality is also subjective. :) Anyway, just trying to help. I certainly wouldn't say VW is premium (I used to own a GTI and didn't rate it) or a Hyundai for that matter. If premium is a must then it can only be between BMW/Merc. I struggle to think the smaller Audi's are premium. My bro owned an A1 and the interior wasn't very good. Scratchy plastics.

Soldato
True but quality is also subjective. :) Anyway, just trying to help. I certainly wouldn't say VW is premium (I used to own a GTI and didn't rate it) or a Hyundai for that matter. If premium is a must then it can only be between BMW/Merc. I struggle to think the smaller Audi's are premium. My bro owned an A1 and the interior wasn't very good. Scratchy plastics.

TBH the only real premium ones in modern times are the limbo grade models. It's all cheap materials now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Something like this ticks all the boxes but like I said is overkill in the power department. But at the very top end of budget and slightly older than I'd like.

It's the closest to the brief though I think.

Caporegime

Quality isn't subjective, the MK4 is full of cheap scratchy plastic and has too many rattles to be considered premium. i30s are even worse. Golfs are much better.

I'd suggest a Mazda 3 e-skyactiv X GT Sport/GT Sport Tech but 186ps probably isn't enough judging by the other cars mentioned. Budget will buy a new/nearly new one though, and they are ridiculously good on fuel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom