Google Pixel 5

Soldato
If the P8 is P5 sizing it could be tempting but I'm skeptical of the Tensor chip having been burned (pun intended) in the past with Exynos poor battery and heat issues.

Might just end up swapping the battery in the P5 and keep it going for another year.
This is what is putting me off with the talk of the Exynos heat issues. I also read the modem was poor in the P7 which the P8 is rumoured to be keeping.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
My P5 has died randomly, I suspect its the motherboard after bit of troubleshooting, no response to ADB (always had debugging on, never know when phone might get bricked).

Found my Pixel 1 backup phone in the drawer, time to shift teams to Samsung... I think.

My P5 has died randomly, I suspect its the motherboard after bit of troubleshooting, no response to ADB (always had debugging on, never know when phone might get bricked).

Found my Pixel 1 backup phone in the drawer, time to shift teams to Samsung... I think.
Right on the day Google show off the pixel 8. They have initiated their kill switch!

Reactions: IC3
Soldato
For everyone with a working Pixel 5, Android 14 was released last night

Yeah. Not much change really as far as I can see other than some customisation options.

Pixel 5 still serving me very well. Will be holding on to it for as long as I can.

But unfortunately this is the last update we are getting. Might need to start looking at third party OS's

Associate
Got the Android 14 release this morning to get over the pricing on the Pixel 8 Pro. It has reached iPhone levels. Will wait for a price drop before deciding or used market.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I revived my Pixel OG(90% of its life had custom ROMs and Kernel's), but it's massively OOD, so need to get a new phone. I came across a Pixel 5 with smashed screen, might get that and make one working phone from two.

I did see loads of people complain about motherboard failures on Pixel 4, 5 & 6. It's scary how common that issue is, do backups!

Last edited:
Soldato
I revived my Pixel OG(90% of its life had custom ROMs and Kernel's), but it's massively OOD, so need to get a new phone. I came across a Pixel 5 with smashed screen, might get that and make one working phone from two.

I did see loads of people complain about motherboard failures on Pixel 4, 5 & 6. It's scary how common that issue is, do backups!

I have not had any issues with my Pixel 3XL or my Pixel 5. both are still going strong. Had the 3XL since release and fot the 5 just before the 6 was announced

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I have not had any issues with my Pixel 3XL or my Pixel 5. both are still going strong. Had the 3XL since release and fot the 5 just before the 6 was announced
I pre-ordered mine and got it very quickly whilst some other people had to wait, maybe the first batch was worse. It's a shame as my phone looks mint and doesn't have signs of abuse, I usually take care of my phones. That said, I did replace the screen 3x in my Pixel OG, 3rd replacement was a breeze though. :p

Looking at S21, S22 and S23 refurbs currently, need to check the EOL for them too. I want something future proof, I hate changing phones.

Soldato
Upgraded to the pixel 8. Finally a pixel phone within the same size range as the 5.

Gotta say the 5 has been my favorite phone to date. Sadly it was showing it's age battery wise now and pretty beat up.

Soldato
I was under the impression that this changed from the P6 to what you said.

I thought the P5 and before, that OS and
Security updates timeline went hand in hand.

I know that's what happened with my P3
Maybe I misunderstood then. P5 was a cracking phone, I was a bit reluctant to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom