*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I see UniFi has released a software update for various switches https://community.ui.com/releases/U...fication=3ff89ae4-8f13-4dff-9c4a-5968c909cf9d

One line item for me is of interest:
  • [USW-Enterprise-48-PoE] Fixed an issue where the device might lose its static IP address.

I have been having that very issue every 30 days or so, where the switch just drops off and becomes unmanaged and I have had a case open with them about this.

Soldato
Ah yes I'm sure this time when Ubiquiti announce professional support they are going to stick with it for the long term

I did have a little smile about that when I saw it. One of my colleagues suggested that professional support was where they paid people in the forums to answer other users queries. They did actually employ at least 3 people from the forums when they set up their new team in Kraków.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Now we wait to see if it fixes the issue on the USW-Enterprise-48-PoE, I have seen a few other threads on these 48 ports do similar things as I normally use a static IP for the management.

Soldato
Now we wait to see if it fixes the issue on the USW-Enterprise-48-PoE, I have seen a few other threads on these 48 ports do similar things as I normally use a static IP for the management.

It’s a switch. It’s actually a dumb switch made smart/manageable by the UniFi controller. So even if you aren’t using a UniFi gateway or console for your routing, the IP address of the switch is irrelevant. Just leave it in DHCP and it will work fine.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It’s a switch. It’s actually a dumb switch made smart/manageable by the UniFi controller. So even if you aren’t using a UniFi gateway or console for your routing, the IP address of the switch is irrelevant. Just leave it in DHCP and it will work fine.

It's a force of habit from using Cisco and like-wise switches as its best practice, plus I can use DNS to access them if needed.

Soldato
It's a force of habit from using Cisco and like-wise switches as its best practice, plus I can use DNS to access them if needed.
That’s the thing though, UniFi switches have no front end UI to access. The only UniFi device that needs a fixed IP for access is the Console or Cloud Key that hosts the controller. Because literally nothing else has any kind of user interface.

Soldato
That’s the thing though, UniFi switches have no front end UI to access. The only UniFi device that needs a fixed IP for access is the Console or Cloud Key that hosts the controller. Because literally nothing else has any kind of user interface.

Each to their own, but I prefer giving infrastructure devices static IP addresses even when they're managed by UniFi or A N Other management server.

A recent example, one of my AP's in Sweden was showing as disconnected from the controller (and for some reason the controller wasn't showing as last known IP address for the AP) so I SSH'd in and did the set-inform to get it connected.

Having a DNS name already setup for the AP made it a bit quicker to get it reconnected as I didn't need to remember which box was running DHCP and then find the lease.

Soldato
Each to their own, but I prefer giving infrastructure devices static IP addresses even when they're managed by UniFi or A N Other management server.

A recent example, one of my AP's in Sweden was showing as disconnected from the controller (and for some reason the controller wasn't showing as last known IP address for the AP) so I SSH'd in and did the set-inform to get it connected.

Having a DNS name already setup for the AP made it a bit quicker to get it reconnected as I didn't need to remember which box was running DHCP and then find the lease.

I’m not saying that’s not good practice however as I read his posts @RSR has had issues linked to using a fixed IP address on his USW-48-Enterprise PoE switch. You don’t need to use a fixed IP address, so rather than have the switch fall off the network once a month, I was simply pointing out it would work just fine on DHCP.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Bit of a gimmick. If for some reason you want to operate a network where untrained staff are expected to patch into switches then deploy something like 802.1x and dynamically assign devices to VLANs based on what they are.

Soldato
Ok... as someone looking at getting into ubiquiti gear these new 24 port 'max' PoE switches make absolutely zero sense to me over an enterprise one... for the same price I lose the rgb (I can only see a use if it changes based on port issues so no issues) but gain more 2.5GBe ports... I know what I'd pick lol

Back
Top Bottom