City Fibre

Soldato

no one | CityFibre Maintenance
We have had notifications from several customers that peak time downloads are slow and customers are experiencing some packet loss. We have checked everything on our network and are working with CityFibre as we believe there is an issue with one of our connections from them. We are planning some maintenance tonight, During this maintenance window sessions will drop

Not had the issue myself but might fix issues that others were having.

Associate
I'm looking at moving away from Virgin to one of the City Fibre providers shortly.
I've got the choice of 14 providers !!!!
I'm leaning towards Zen as they seem to be an established player.
However, Idnet seem to be another with a good rep and they provide an Asus AX3000 router.
Am I right in thinking I dont need a WIFI 6 router if I dont have devices that can utilise it ?
I dont really use WIFI for anything apart from phones, doorbell cam and alexas etc, everything else is wired.

Last edited:
Associate
been having some strange issues with No One lately, im hopeful that its still related to the ongoing network work as above.

my connection was pretty bad yesterday evening (packet loss / slow speed) till i was disconnected for 10 minutes, then it was back to normal afterwards.

Associate
I'm with Zen and they have been pretty rock solid in the support department, they answer their phones quickly and get stuff sorted for you when they say they will.

Took Cityfibre two attempts to get us hooked up originally, with quite a substantial time between each attempt. Aside from that, its been a very smooth. Not a single outage, or major issue that I've noticed.

Ow and unlike Vodafone they don't put their prices up each year.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm with Zen and they have been pretty rock solid in the support department, they answer their phones quickly and get stuff sorted for you when they say they will.

Took Cityfibre two attempts to get us hooked up originally, with quite a substantial time between each attempt. Aside from that, its been a very smooth. Not a single outage, or major issue that I've noticed.

Ow and unlike Vodafone they don't put their prices up each year.

yeah, im happy with my VF service, but the prices are slowly creeping up! :(

Soldato
Would be interesting to see what sort of pings you get, and roughly where you're at

Associate
A month has passed still nothing from CityFibre about coming to correct the bodge job they did or compo for the damage.

They have been doing installs in the area as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking at moving away from Virgin to one of the City Fibre providers shortly.
I've got the choice of 14 providers !!!!
I'm leaning towards Zen as they seem to be an established player.
However, Idnet seem to be another with a good rep and they provide an Asus AX3000 router.
Am I right in thinking I dont need a WIFI 6 router if I dont have devices that can utilise it ?
I dont really use WIFI for anything apart from phones, doorbell cam and alexas etc, everything else is wired.

Asus router you mentioned can be had for around £100.

Not sure on prices in your area but some other providers used to be based on my area charging £30 for 900/900 IDNET is £40.

It's not the best time to be switching most of the discount/promo deals have ended.

Associate
I think the only minor issue I’ve experienced with cityfibre is reduced speeds after a certain amount of uptime. A router reset fixes it, and it could just be more of a router issue rather than cityfibre issue.

not really a big issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Would be interesting to see what sort of pings you get, and roughly where you're at

I ping 11-13 to London, I live in a town called March which is 30-40 mins from Peterborough.

Not the best ping, but certainly not bad. Especially considering the physical distance from the house to the cabinet.

Last edited:
Associate
My CityFibre dropped out last week. I called Zen who booked it out to CityFibre. They called me back to confirm I had an engineer booked for the following morning but they said CityFibre's repair team were pretty good and may get onto that afternoon.
Turns out they were really good as it was fixed about an hour later :)

This is my speed on Zen

Back
Top Bottom