City Fibre

Man of Honour
been using a UDM pro and unifi apps with city fibre/voda since day 1 and its been flawless can only recommend the UDM stuff its good kit.

Associate
Do you get a better ISP router with these City Fibre providers? The Virgin Superhub 3 gets a lot of criticism as a router but I still use mine. If I was to swap to City Fibre and get a new router from the ISP, it might save me having to buy my own?

With zen I got a fritzbox which has wifi 6, very good router!

Maybe you could be more specific on what isps you could get with cityfibre and work out which isps have which router available

Associate
Do you get a better ISP router with these City Fibre providers? The Virgin Superhub 3 gets a lot of criticism as a router but I still use mine. If I was to swap to City Fibre and get a new router from the ISP, it might save me having to buy my own?
I went live with no one on city fibre on the 5th, I hadnt heard good things about their router and it had minimal ethernet ports so I bought my own. If you supply your own router they credit your account back with £50.

I had to enter the details my self which was pretty straight forward except for one setting. They use port 901 vlan and that setting was hidden away in the lan area behind a iptv option.

This was on a ASUS TUF Gaming AX6000

Soldato
Anyone using no one in the Reading / Berkshire area? I’m looking to move from Giganet as I’d prefer a 24 month contract locked in and I’m a sucker for change. :)

Associate
Has anyone else had part of their street able to get connected, and some not?

I'm still waiting for City Fibre to actually be able to provide a connection to my house. Way back in 2020 they put leaflets through doors saying to register if you wanted to be one of their 'Fibre First' homes, so signed up for all that.

They did work in the road in early 2022, and then since mid 202 most of the road has been able to get connected, apart from a section in the middle of the road where I am - there is a section of houses which can't get connected. They are using the Openreach poles for the connections, so guess there is some issue with some of the poles.

Shows 'coming soon' on the various ISP sites, and on City Fibre's site, but it's been like that for ages.

Soldato
Is anyone in the Birmingham area and has received a letter from City Fibre offering a £200 switch incentive?

I received this then threw it away. I think the letter had a link on it I need to use, as a google search doesn't reveal anything.

Anyone have the letter?

Soldato
My options are a lot poorer than they were just a couple of weeks ago - a few providers had prices at £30 a month now these all seem to have increased.

M8cuko2.png

At these prices I won't be switching away from Virgin. I already get 250 Mbps from them for £27 a month inc TV and so I could probably negotiate a speed increase for the same money if I stick.

Last edited:
Associate
My options are a lot poorer than they were just a couple of weeks ago - a few providers had prices at £30 a month now these all seem to have increased.

M8cuko2.png

At these prices I won't be switching away from Virgin. I already get 250 Mbps from them for £27 a month inc TV and so I could probably negotiate a speed increase for the same money if I stick.
For your info Octaplus are currently supplying the TPLink/Aginet EX230v, as i have just had a replacement for my TPLink C6 V3.2 sent today.

Man of Honour
You're comparing 250 Mbps to 900 Mbps (which also happens to be symmetrical and VM is not), that's really not a fair comparison. You also don't have to choose a 900 Mbps on the CityFibre network. Not to mention other benefits such as static IP, lower latency, potentially better customer service, not having to ring up at each contract end to renegotiate etc.

If you're going to compare Apples, at least compare them to Apples.

I'm not sure why you're making so many posts and new threads about routers and CF and what not, just switch, or don't switch. If you're going to compare every ISP to the nth degree by the time you've actually made a decision the goalposts will have moved.

Soldato
You're comparing 250 Mbps to 900 Mbps (which also happens to be symmetrical and VM is not), that's really not a fair comparison. You also don't have to choose a 900 Mbps on the CityFibre network. Not to mention other benefits such as static IP, lower latency, potentially better customer service, not having to ring up at each contract end to renegotiate etc.

If you're going to compare Apples, at least compare them to Apples.

I'm not sure why you're making so many posts and new threads about routers and CF and what not, just switch, or don't switch. If you're going to compare every ISP to the nth degree by the time you've actually made a decision the goalposts will have moved.
There would be no point getting anything other than 900 on city fibre though, its barely any cheaper to go for a lesser speed.

I don't really need 900, but it would be poor value to choose anything other than 900 on city fibre i think.

Im making many threads because I want to get the optimal best value set up for me. My Virgin contract expires 21st March so I'd need to give notice by 20th Feb which gives me about 6 weeks to decide.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You should decide if you're price sensitive or if you aren't - going with Virgin because they are the cheapest, then the next minute buying 900Mbps instead of 150Mbps because it's only £4 a month (16%) more if we use the Vodafone prices, is not a consistent way to compare your options.

Using the logic that 16% extra a month is "might as well spend it" territory, and taking into account that your current spend with VM is £27, this puts anything at £31.32 or below into the same territory, which around four of the CityFibre options are.

So, are you looking for the absolute cheapest you can get, or are you open to other ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
So, are you looking for the absolute cheapest you can get, or are you open to other ideas?
Im open to ideas within reasonable price thresholds - the ones you implied seem about right to me.

Its only worth me switching if I can get some extra value.

I don't like the 18-monthly contract haggle and I don't like the in-contract inflation price rises.

The service is very good, Ive had no issues with reliability or the equipment. But if I can get a better wifi 6 router thrown in for the switch then I'll take that of course.

I don't really need the TV service or landline, its just always been cheaper to keep them both with Virgin.

Given 900 mbps broadband is around £30-32 a month, my ideal solution would be half that speed for half the price. But of course it doesn't work that way does it.

Soldato
MlRhFvt.png

See Virgin is probably the best value provider for broadband upto 250 Mbps, most of the City Fibre offerings are only 150 Mbps in that tier. If you had to buy a new Virgin 1Gbps service at £45 then City Fibre would be cheaper.

Its different for me as an existing Virgin customer not starting from scratch, because I have to renegotiate my Virgin deal. For only £2 extra (Vodafone) I can get 900 Mbps compared to 250 on Virgin. That would be a no brainer, but ideally I'd prefer 250 Mbps for £15 a month and save some money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can't have that though, nobody can afford to run a physical cable to your house and operate an internet service over it for £15 each month.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't have that though, nobody can afford to run a physical cable to your house and operate an internet service over it for £15 each month.

Well exactly, the speed of the service is a nonsense really, the costs come from the physical cabling, the customer service the billing etc. so why do they even bother offering slower packages to save a quid or two a month.

Man of Honour
Well exactly, the speed of the service is a nonsense really, the costs come from the physical cabling, the customer service the billing etc. so why do they even bother offering slower packages to save a quid or two a month.
Because costs are not just from physical cabling, billing, customer service etc. There's way more to it than that, and ultimately more bandwidth through their network and peering that into other networks costs them more money.

Soldato
CityFibre/GigaNet started installing Fibre down my road September 2022.

It’s now January 2024 and they still can’t give me a firm date as to when it will be live!

Out of contract with Sky so paying a fortune for 70mbps.

Last edited:
Permabanned
CityFibre/GigaNet started installing Fibre down my road September 2022.

It’s now January 2024 and they still can’t give me a firm date as to when it will be live!

Out of contract with Sky so paying a fortune for 70mbps.
starting to get worried now 2 months to go ... and there not even testing round here yet ... why don't they just hook it up street by street ?

Back
Top Bottom