• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice needed on a new card for £600

Soldato
I bought an 7800X3D in December and decided to hold off on buying a new GFX card until the new Nvidia Super cards were released but I've really no idea where to put my money. As far as I can tell it's between a 4070 Super and the 7800XT with a £600 budget for 1440p gaming. I've been reading through all the various threads about perceived value, 12gb vs 16gb etc. etc. and the more I read the more confused I get so I'm hoping for some clarity in this thread if possible.

Thanks

Associate
What resolution do you use? Higher the res, the more demand for VRAM. For example 16 gig as a new minimum for 4K gaming.

The Super RTX is the stronger card and has DLSS, better Ray tracing, and uses less power by about 30 watts.

But the 7800XT is about 100 pounds cheaper, and is packing 16 gig of VRAM. With slighty less RT and rasterisation.

Soldato
OP
What resolution do you use? Higher the res, the more demand for VRAM. For example 16 gig as a new minimum for 4K gaming.

The Super RTX is the stronger card and has DLSS, better Ray tracing, and uses less power by about 30 watts.

But the 7800XT is about 100 pounds cheaper, and is packing 16 gig of VRAM. With slighty less RT and rasterisation.

1440p. I see a lot of people saying 12gb isn't enough for 1440p any more and other people saying it's fine.

If the 4070 Super runs cooler and quieter than the 7800XT then i'd gravitate towards that I think.

Associate
8GB was enough for 1440p 2020. Now it's not.

Same will apply for 12GB in 2 years. ;)

7900GRE spotted on DIY market Spain and Germany.

541EUR for XFX reference (AVOID due to power limit too low)
579EUR for Sapphire Pulse and Asrock Challenger (NEW)

Keep an eye few weeks until Super launch finalised and see what's happening!

Soldato
I have a 3080 with 10gb at 1440p

Not played games for over a year…but what games would currently use more than 10gb?

Surely it’s a sliding scale. If I can turn down a setting and it’s fine.:.do you care?

Man of Honour
I've been reading through all the various threads about perceived value, 12gb vs 16gb etc. etc. and the more I read the more confused I get so I'm hoping for some clarity in this thread if possible.
The perceived value is hard to say when we don't know what price the 4070 Super will settle at, but I'd not want to pay £100+ more unless I was 100% committed to ray tracing.

Man of Honour
I’m not that fussed about ray tracing to be honest.
Does anyone have any opinion on which 7800XT to get?
You might be interested in this thread:

Associate
The super is what the 4070 should have been from the start.

That said however unless ray tracing there's not much in it performance wise so might aswell save £100, even with dlss 3 with fsr 3 and fluid motion it's not a deal breaker, some say they can notice the difference, but it's not that great a difference and if not playing and and Nvidia side by side you'll never know, many games use the tech on Xbox and playstation and they don't seem to be complaining too much.

If however you are planning on lots of 3d modelling rendering video encoding and other programs that are optimized for cuda then obviously the 4070 worth the extra dosh

Sapphire and xfx seem to be the top rated but my power colour 6800xt seems to be fine a year later *touch wood*

Soldato
1440p. I see a lot of people saying 12gb isn't enough for 1440p any more and other people saying it's fine.

If the 4070 Super runs cooler and quieter than the 7800XT then i'd gravitate towards that I think.

If your not bothered about maxing things out especially textures then 12Gb vram is enough at 1440p.

If you are bothered by things like that then yes there are plenty of examples of games that require more than 12Gb of vram at 1440p when you start maxing the texture quality and adding all the Ray tracing and Path tracing effects.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're bothered about RT then get the 4070S if not then save yourself 100 quid and get the 7800XT since for raster performance the cards are quite similar.

Soldato
Interested to know which games.

RE4 (textures)
Diablo 4 (textures)
Alan Wake 2 (look at the first graph - max + pt + fg at 1440p = 14159MB vram)

Thats just to name a few.

Ray tracing + path tracing + frame generation uses a lot of vram.

I expect as 2024 and beyond rolls by with more titles releasing with RT and PT etc... we will see more vram behaviour like Alan Wake 2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
RE4 (textures)
Diablo 4 (textures)
Alan Wake 2 (look at the first graph - max + pt + fg at 1440p = 14159MB vram)

Thats just to name a few.

Ray tracing + path tracing + frame generation uses a lot of vram.

I expect as 2024 and beyond rolls by with more titles releasing with RT and PT etc... we will see more vram behaviour like Alan Wake 2.
But then is a 3080 powerful enough to run RT, PT and FG all at once? probably not at acceptable frame rates anyway so no one will be using all these things with a 3080 anyway? Alan Wake 2, 37FPS at 4k for example.

Back
Top Bottom