Bonnet damage

Associate
OP
Cars on pcp yeah. Should they write it off the valuation they’d give would be much less than what I still have to pay as I’ve only had it 1 year.

I’m putting it down to a terrible first call handler who declared it a write off in error. I’m hopeful it will be a relatively ok price to be repaired.

Man of Honour
A friend had a Mini bonnet replaced and painted. Genuine Mini parts and at a Mini dealer. Cost was approx £1200 I think. I think there were cheaper quotes from non Mini repair places and it would have been a lot cheaper with a used part obviously. Different car but that may give you a ballpark figure to expect.

Soldato
The real kicker is that another foot or so back and it would have gone through the screen which would have been a straight forward £75 (or whatever your windscreen excess is) and sorted within a few days.

I've never really looked into PCP but it was always my assumption that its a case of being prepared to cover whatever the deficit might be or going with GAP insurance. I'm assuming that your insurance doesn't new for old cover for the first year or are you beyond that point now?

Soldato
They were quick to write that off, it's minor damage really. You shouldn't let them. Find a new bonnet and swap it yourself. A write off because of some cosmetic damage just shows how broke the car insurance industry is.

A welder might even be able to patch it quite cheaply. I'd then have a go at painting it myself. Small jobs from rattle cans turn out un-noticable if you do thing right.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you'd get anywhere with their home insurance unless the roof was in disrepair.
My view is it’s accidental damage caused by his property. Being in good repair or not is neither here nor there, there could be bad workmanship or any such thing.
For instance, if the tile had hit someone on the head would it be considered so lightly.

Soldato
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266469515110 + a few hours labour at a local garage + possibly a respray depending on how consistent the colour match is.

The real kicker is that another foot or so back and it would have gone through the screen which would have been a straight forward £75 (or whatever your windscreen excess is) and sorted within a few days.
If it'd gone through the windscreen it would most likely have also made a complete mess of the dash and interior as well. Probably better it hit the bonnet.

Last edited:
Soldato
this is one of those awkward things which i dread happening because i know i will always end up on the losing side.

IF my roof failed and damaged a neighbours car i would probably feel morally obliged to help out and end up out of pocket... OTOH if their roof damaged my car i would almost certainly end up getting fobbed off and having to foot the bill as well. It happened with the fences at the back of my house I foot the bill for one side because that is the conventionally accepted thing to do so the neighbour asked me to pay, where as on the other side i still had to pay half because it isnt clear on the deeds.

imo in a "fair" world the owner of the property that caused the damage should claim on their insurance if your property is damaged by their property.

its not about "blame" as such but someone has to pay and that just seems the fairest way imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
this is one of those awkward things which i dread happening because i know i will always end up on the losing side.

IF my roof failed and damaged a neighbours car i would probably feel morally obliged to help out and end up out of pocket... OTOH if their roof damaged my car i would almost certainly end up getting fobbed off and having to foot the bill as well. It happened with the fences at the back of my house I foot the bill for one side because that is the conventionally accepted thing to do so the neighbour asked me to pay, where as on the other side i still had to pay half because it isnt clear on the deeds.

imo in a "fair" world the owner of the property should claim on their insurance if your property is damaged by their property.

its not about "blame" as such but someone has to pay and that just seems the fairest way imo.
That pretty much exactly sums up how I would be in both scenarios!

I also paid to replace a shared boundary out of my own pocket while waiting for the neighbours 'mate' to do yet another bodge job for about 6 months. When we were up to 3 missing panels between the two gardens and it generally being the running joke of the street I just got someone in under the recommendation of the neighbours on the other side and paid myself to get all new concrete posts and panels. We moved less than a year later to our new place... with dilapidated fence panels on both sides :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even bother bodging it as a temporary measure if you plan to replace it. As damage goes it looks pretty bad ass, like you got in a road rage incident with Wolverine :p

Last edited:
Soldato
can you get an insurerer to unsee a claim with no ramifications on your premium ..

however if you told them neighbours liability insurance was paying as it looks like it should, then perhaps ok

It is always a good idea to take plenty of photos of any damage done which can be used to back up claims in the event of a dispute. Be aware that if you knew your roof tiles were loose, and needed attention before the storm hit, the insurer could decide you were legally liable for their repair, and refuse to pay out. The same is true if you were aware that a tree in your garden was dangerous and could fall at any time.

If tiles have come off your roof and damaged a nearby property or car, you are liable. In most cases, the legal liability part of your buildings insurance policy should meet claims for this.

Associate
OP

imo in a "fair" world the owner of the property should claim on their insurance if your property is damaged by their property.

I just got really unlucky, as did my neighbour who needs to pay for roofers and to have his own car fixed.

I’m surprised he didn’t offer in some way to pay for some of my damage. May have done if not for all his own costs he’s been left with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266469515110 + a few hours labour at a local garage + possibly a respray depending on how consistent the colour match is.

If it'd gone through the windscreen it would most likely have also made a complete mess of the dash and interior as well. Probably better it hit the bonnet.

That's what I'd be doing. Get a mate over, 4 bolts job done.

If you really wanted to you could repair the old bonnet off the car and depending on how happy with the result you are either swap it back or punt it on to recoup your losses.

Soldato
its crazy write off for a bonnet... lets just hope its a inexperienced call handler.
daughter had her car driven into at a junction, classic she went to pull out realised, oncoming vehicle so stopped, car behind didnt .
all on dashcam so no probs..... or so you think.
insurance company , tell her to take it to a bodyshop they check it over and then tell her they cant repair it, and to ring her insurance.
so she does they tell her its had a previous accident so there premier repair shops wont repair it she had to get local quotes.
i hpi ed the car before she purchased it so she told them it was clear then they start well its on our insurance records.
these are the records that the insurance company hold when a vehicle repairs a car and not available to joe public.

i know folk will say car verticle or the likes but hpi was always the bench mark. this has been ongoing for 3 months now .

so even when your car isnt written off it appears they can still refer to there records to find it repaired.
by the way insurance wasnt some obscure company but a supposed admirable company.....

oh and as a footnote the guy that drove into her isnt sending post back to his insurance so they wont proceed....

HPi is no longer worth it. Thousands of vehicles come up clear on HPi but if you check with other sources like VCheck (my personal recommendation), car verticle etc, you get must better and accurate info

Man of Honour
I phoned them just now, claim cancelled - told me doesn’t effect my NCB and that the account will default back to same position it was prior to my claim.
Be aware that you will probably need to declare this when renewing, even though you are no longer claiming. It's because insurance companies always ask if you have had any accidents, claims or losses. I would say this counts as an accident or loss even though you are no longer claiming. Most people don't declare it but in this case there is obviously a footprint for an opened, and then closed, claim.

Associate
HPi is no longer worth it. Thousands of vehicles come up clear on HPi but if you check with other sources like VCheck (my personal recommendation), car verticle etc, you get must better and accurate in
since i posted i have been onto hpi and back to the insurance company, who are now changing there tune. they now state the garage told them there was evidence of a poor repair, haha i touched a scratch in on the rear quarter and just inside the tailgate where the rear bumper had been pushed into it. they are now telling me i have to take it up with the garage.
to be honest i can get a bumper for 100 pounds in the same colour so may do it my self, just feel so annoyed that they take so much money for insurance then back out.
daughter pays extra for upgraded courtesy vehicle to match hers and they even told her they couldn't guarantee her getting that....for goodness sake what do you pay for.
sorry for rant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom