Bonnet damage

Associate
OP
Be aware that you will probably need to declare this when renewing, even though you are no longer claiming. It's because insurance companies always ask if you have had any accidents, claims or losses. I would say this counts as an accident or loss even though you are no longer claiming. Most people don't declare it but in this case there is obviously a footprint for an opened, and then closed, claim.
I’ll need to check this with them closer to renewal time. Guy claimed my account goes back to pre claim as no work was done/ assessed. Cancelled within the 14 day period also. Don’t know what to believe with their idiot call handlers.

Not the end of the world either way I guess

Man of Honour
I’ll need to check this with them closer to renewal time. Guy claimed my account goes back to pre claim as no work was done/ assessed. Cancelled within the 14 day period also. Don’t know what to believe with their idiot call handlers.

Not the end of the world either way I guess
Yes your account goes back to pre-claim. But your personal circumstances and therefore the insurance risk has changed. If you stay with the same insurer then you can argue they know about it already so don't need to inform them. But if you change insurers then you may need to declare it. The risk to you if you don't is if you claim in the future with a different company then they can argue you should have told them so they could make a fully informed decision. How would they find out? Well, before agreeing a new claim, they search for previous claims on information shared by most insurers.

I doubt that declaring it would make a big difference to the premium though.

Last edited:
Soldato
could have all been a storm in a tea-cup if insurance company were pushed to more seriously/accurately appraise the damage, and either payed out, or, suggested a contract on the tile owner.

Soldato
since i posted i have been onto hpi and back to the insurance company, who are now changing there tune. they now state the garage told them there was evidence of a poor repair, haha i touched a scratch in on the rear quarter and just inside the tailgate where the rear bumper had been pushed into it. they are now telling me i have to take it up with the garage.
to be honest i can get a bumper for 100 pounds in the same colour so may do it my self, just feel so annoyed that they take so much money for insurance then back out.
daughter pays extra for upgraded courtesy vehicle to match hers and they even told her they couldn't guarantee her getting that....for goodness sake what do you pay for.

sorry for rant

We're paying because we have to and because it's all for profit, they do anything they can to get out of honouring the agreement.

Most are using the same under-writers, owned by the same few corporations, using the same databases. There is no real competition. It's basically a cartel.

Then we have bodyshops and repairers charging ridiculous sums to insurers. So cars get written off for nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
In your second image, where are the glass sprinkles from? You don't mention any broken glass with your car but mention your neighbour's car got hit so perhaps it's from that.

On the surface it looks like just a bonnet replacement but I'd also check the bonnet supports/hinges for bending as it'll make fitting a new bonnet problematic. There's also two little nicks on you wing if that were to bother you at all.

I agree with the general sentiment, the insurance company are too quick to write the car off. Is this a new tactic to dissuade people from claiming?

61e529ad6fa6469d787656af4aeff42b.png

Man of Honour
I wouldn't declare it.

When buying insurance is asks if you have made any claims, not have you toyed with the idea. The answer is still no.
Which is great until the OP has an accident in the next five years. The insurance company then checks the claims database that most insurers share access to and find an undeclared loss. This gives them grounds to refuse a payout. Had the OP not made the claim in the first place then, even though he should technically still declare it at renewal, most people wouldn't declare it and it wouldn't have any impact during a future claim.

Anyway, it's up to the OP how he wants to answer that question in future. I'm just highlighting the possible risk now that a claim has been made and withdrawn.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't declare it.

When buying insurance is asks if you have made any claims, not have you toyed with the idea. The answer is still no.
No it doesn't it specifically says whether claim was made or not.

For example from Go Compare, bolding is theirs.
In the last five years, has the driver had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle?
This includes cars, motorbikes and/or vans. Tell us about it even if you didn't claim and no matter who's fault it was.

If it had never been mentioned to an insurance company I'd keep quiet as well but this will not just have magically disappeared from the various databases they all use.

Back
Top Bottom