Insomnia Sufferers in here!

Man of Honour
Got home from work, crashed for about 2 hours, then wide awake, maybe will get another 3 hours before work, been doing this a lot ever since having COVID :( not really insomnia but a bit of a vicious circle.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I know this seems completely impossible at the worst of times, but the best thing you can do is agree a wake up time and relentlessly try to stick with it, that's more important than going to sleep in the first place which took me so long to get my head around.

It's not a wonder fix but it goes some way to helping the cycle get back on track, it's brutal for a couple of days but I've found it helps.

Over time it'll slip and it's just a case of starting over again .

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I used to sleep like a baby prior to covid. Post Covid I’m lucky with 4 hours. This was 3 years ago or so and it hasn’t improved. I’m having to adapt to a different way of life. Thanks Covid!
Out of interest have you started remote working? I noticed the separation from an office place and my house was something I hadn't factored in.

Man of Honour
I’ve worked from home on and off for the past 13 years. It was tough to begin with for sure, but obviously this was well before Covid. It is still difficult trying to separate work from pleasure because my “office” is my home. But my sleep pattern very obviously changed post the first case of Covid I had. I’ve had it 3 times in total. The first was terrible - unwell seriously so for 16 weeks. I was on the cusp of admitting myself to hospital. This is when I noticed things changed.

Soldato
I find at this time ,we'll 3 am to 5am say, my mind will be very busy but when I do drop off again I have awesome dreams
Edit/ not working so no point in fighting it so just mess about on the oppo a while until I feel tired

Last edited:
Soldato
Every Sunday for the last few weeks now can't sleep.

Insomnia started for me probably back in 2007 when I started work.

My sleep last few weeks has been terrible.

Sunday no sleep. Rest of the week poor sleep quality. Light sleep and lots of waking up.

Also probably another night of the week can't sleep. Last week it was Sunday and Thursday night.

Not always like this. I've been through patches in the past of months where I sleep like a baby every night for months.

But then the insomnia cycle starts.

Thinking of supplementing with melatonin.

I try to read before bed but it doesn't help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once again feeling like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, was on Mertazapine last year to help with sleeping, now on Phenergan. Both let me sleep like a log without waking several times a night (which often happens without taking them), but waking the next morning I feel groggy as heck and this lasts most of the day.

Caporegime
Lately, I've been seeing substantial improvements in sleep by taking 1g of Tryptophan (a melatonin precursor) about an hour before bed, and taking a 10 minute walk every morning after my coffee to get some morning light into my eyes. No idea whether it's just a coincidence but I've been sleeping much better, consistently getting six or more hours of sleep a night.

Associate
Every Sunday for the last few weeks now can't sleep.

Insomnia started for me probably back in 2007 when I started work.

My sleep last few weeks has been terrible.

Sunday no sleep. Rest of the week poor sleep quality. Light sleep and lots of waking up.

Also probably another night of the week can't sleep. Last week it was Sunday and Thursday night.

Not always like this. I've been through patches in the past of months where I sleep like a baby every night for months.

But then the insomnia cycle starts.

Thinking of supplementing with melatonin.

I try to read before bed but it doesn't help.
Sunday nights are always the worst for me, can never sleep. ☹️

Soldato
Once again feeling like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, was on Mertazapine last year to help with sleeping, now on Phenergan. Both let me sleep like a log without waking several times a night (which often happens without taking them), but waking the next morning I feel groggy as heck and this lasts most of the day.

Years ago I was given sleeping pills by the GP.

Horrible!

The day after I felt like a mental patient on a day out.

Soldato
Lately, I've been seeing substantial improvements in sleep by taking 1g of Tryptophan (a melatonin precursor) about an hour before bed, and taking a 10 minute walk every morning after my coffee to get some morning light into my eyes. No idea whether it's just a coincidence but I've been sleeping much better, consistently getting six or more hours of sleep a night.

I think sun light is the key.

Man of Honour

It is a weird one maybe but I know some people swear by early morning sunlight for quality sleep - supposedly 20-30 minute walk around 30-60 minutes after sunrise is optimal.

Soldato
Early morning wake up as always, I never ever see a night through without multiple wake ups and always this 3am /4am one.,feels like a caffeine buzz.
Lots of fresh air and exercise yesterday.as.alwaysn long kindle read before sleep , always the same

Back
Top Bottom